Notices

Novelty

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Novelty

Anyone worry about the novelty wearing off? Kind of a silly question, but I hope to be as excited about my new found sobriety today as I am ten years from now. Guess I shouldn't think too far ahead. And if I loose my joy for it that's an indication of stepping it up a notch. Just looking for thoughts from members with long term sobriety. I've been working on this for two and a half years with this last stint being my longest stretch at almost seven months. There's no turning back for me and I couldn't be happier about it.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got well over six years and still wake up in awe that I'm feeling so good. Even tho it's been a while, I can't forget the deep despair I felt when I was drinking. I don't think I will ever lose the joy I feel about living sober.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is one of the reasons I personally make a point to work on my sobriety each day, for even just a little while. I do feel that it's important to remember where we came from as well as to realize that sobriety is a life-long proposition. Certainly it gets much less overwhelming as life goes on, but life itself presents us with issues we must face...and I know that somewhere down inside that AV is still lurking, even if it's just one tiny thought.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't view sobriety as a novelty. So I don't expect it to wear off. I've embraced recovery and have learned to live and love a sober life. And I intend to remain vigilant against my insidious addiction.

Hope you can too.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would never compare sobriety to a novelty acceptance isn't a novelty

I don't mean to sound bad but that's honestly what I think
Old 03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I don't view sobriety as a novelty. So I don't expect it to wear off. I've embraced recovery and have learned to live and love a sober life. And I intend to remain vigilant against my insidious addiction. Hope you can too.
Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I would never compare sobriety to a novelty acceptance isn't a novelty
Thanks. I've done these things which is why I'm so happy. Embraced and accepted it all. I guess I still have a lot to learn. Maybe novelty isn't a proper word choice as excitement is better. Constructive criticism and I'll take it. Like a marriage I'll continue to nurture it allowing it to grow. Glad I posted as I've had this thought rolling around in my brain for sometime.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Arbor

I try to remember that if I drink again, I'll lose everything I hold dear, including my life.

I'm not being melodramatic either.

I think in the past I looked at sobriety rather like a fad diet...but now I know it's a permanent life change.

Recovery's bought me a lot of gifts...but I still have trouble with self care even tho I have no thoughts of drinking.

I push myself, I stress myself out, I don't reach out, I neglect the balcne in my life.

Posting here daily reminds me how vital that is and I give myself a mental kick up the backside

D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I've got well over six years and still wake up in awe that I'm feeling so good. Even tho it's been a while, I can't forget the deep despair I felt when I was drinking. I don't think I will ever lose the joy I feel about living sober.
I feel the same as Least. Well said, Least.

I'll have three years tomorrow.

Life can be tough at times, but I still wake up joyful and ready to experience the day ahead of me most days. It's a gift.

Starting out in early sobriety, I really had no way of knowing how much better life could be.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

When I stop feeling grateful every day to have survived long enough to experience life without alcohol and drug abuse -- then I'll be in trouble.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, least nailed it for me, too. It's a great feeling to be happy and comfortable in your own skin, and to be in control of your life. I am so happy for you to be experiencing that feeling. I am greatful every day for my sobriety, and I know it is something I will never take for granted.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel the same way/along the same lines as Dee.

And I am incredibly grateful for this reprieve ~ if I was to go back, I don't think I would survive it.
And I am only just beginning to embrace the miracle that this life really is.

I wasted so much time drinking and smoking my life away.
So many years, so I cannot imagine the day I am no longer grateful for finally living my life.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Arbor,
i had that "new" feeling, the one that i think you mean by "novelty".
the feeling of sobriety as "this new exciting wow thing!!!"
yes, that wore off.
what's not worn off is the joy of it. the deep down appreciation and wow! of being sober.

and i've always appreciated the marriage-commitment-analogy.
works well on so many levels.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, fini that is what I meant. I'm glad to hear the gratitude lives on.

Novelty: the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

Not a trinket. That is not what I meant.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not sure if this helps, but I didn't look at it like a novelty. I wasn't excited or all jazzed up about quitting. It just "is". Its my new lifestyle and its steady as she goes.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think by just being here and communicating with each other about our affliction tells us this is here to stay. Alcoholism is real, its deadly and it destroys families and lives. For me acceptance is the key. Faith restored me. You guys constantly remind me I can never go back. Sobriety has to be permanently. Novelties wear off. Life goes on.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everything is novel (new) in the beginning, by definition, including sobriety.
Yes, I have concerns about that too, but coming here and/or going to meetings serves as a daily reminder.
Holly.🎋
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is an issue for me sometimes because I have a huge novelty seeking temperament. Ironically, it's active alcoholism that can interfere with it most dramatically. The same cycle of drinking and hangovers, again and again, losing interest in everything else, just rinse repeat. I think there are virtually endless possibilities in a sober life, and it is untreated alcoholism that put serious limits to our experiences. Unfortunately, our alcoholic mindset can be distorted enough to think the opposite because life becomes free of the extreme highs and lows after a while, but that is not a loss of novelty, it's actually a loss of the familiar.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Not sure if this helps, but I didn't look at it like a novelty. I wasn't excited or all jazzed up about quitting. It just "is". Its my new lifestyle and its steady as she goes.
Hey Thomas. I kinda had to go into it with a more positive outlook. A must for me to be excited about the radical change about to happen. To this day that is what fuels me in this sober life. I didn't see any other way around it, really. I don't ever want to loose that. I owe it to myself and lots of other people to figure it out if I ever get lost again.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went in with a more positive outlook as well, Arbor. I totally get that.

I think, for changes to be made, for habit changes, there must be motivation. And we must do whatever it takes to motivate ourselves to make that change. It sounds simple, but I think there's truth behind it.

Why would I sustain change if I don't truly want it? It would be hard to sustain if I didn't feel motivated and good about the change.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for directing me here, Arbor. As you know for a long time, I have been lacking enthusiasm for sobriety, and feeling more like it is something I have to do, like cleaning the house, and eating right, with no more fun, no more adventurous dining experiences, so to speak.

I have recently found a supportive women's group, where there is a very positive vibe, and a positive action plan, and it is turning around my thinking. It is a new thing for me, but it is catchy, this positive outlook on life and all it has to offer when we don't waste it on drinking, which depresses us and taints everything. Nothing has changed, other than my mindset, and it is taking effort to keep that focus, but I have been able to shrug off cravings with much greater ease than ever before.

I am sure there are ups and downs, as in all areas of life, but, the marriage analogy is good. Do we walk away after one bad day, one conflict? I hope not. I know I haven't, that is for sure!

I am glad you feel so joyful in your sobriety, and I am finding that if I focus on seeing that in others, and work on that attitude for myself, I am feeling more positive about many things. What I see in all of your posts, since you turned that switch, and it really did seem that way to me, like a switch turned suddenly for you, after lots of effort, that you are feeling gratitude, rather than novelty. You express your gratitude for sobriety almost daily when you post! I remember when you were less optimistic, as I have been.

Anyway, thanks, and I hope this novelty, gratitude, commitment sticks for me, too. I do feel different.