Notices

I didn't get over the flu.........

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I didn't get over the flu.........

I have learned here and in the rooms that alcoholism is a chronic condition. It doesn't simply go away because I take some form of designer treatment, work a program that has been around for years, go to rehab, engage in therapy etc.

My condition may markedly improve over time by eliminating alcohol from my life while working on the mitigating factors which exacerbated my drinking, but I am only one drunk away from starting back at ground zero. We see this in the testimony of friends who go back out attempting to drink again in some fashion and their stories of utter despair. That was certainly me on more than one occasion.

Alcoholism isn't a virus or bug - it isn't the flu that I get over and can simply say in short order - gee, glad that's done with - Wow, was I sick! It is a chronic condition - at least for me it is. I have to respect my condition, maybe not memorialize it, but respect that fact it's out there doing push ups - waiting.

With daily work, I stand a chance though. I can indeed get on with life full of gratitude, but I must remain vigilant. I simply cannot nor do I want to go back to where I was.

Alcoholism isn't the flu.............
Thanks to all for reminding me here I am never alone
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I agree, FlynBuy. Best to never drink again, and accept a brand new condition - permanent and unconditional sobriety. Things are so much simpler that way, with all the alcohol in the past. In that case, alcohol can do pushups, it can rant, it can train for an iron man. It no longer matters even one iota, and that chronic condition is only a concern for those who continue to drink. It is simply no longer an issue if we embrace a permanent end to any and all alcohol. And we have better things to do, huh? Onward!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't agree alcoholism is a chronic condition in sobriety and it's out there waiting doing push ups in sobriety

I think I know where your coming from but to me it just sounds wrong the way you wrote it with daily work I stand a chance ???

Better put if you don't want to drink you won't end of there are no standing of chances

if you accept your alcoholism you accept your alcoholism
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also feel it is possible to really work through core issues
and move on--

Not to say one doesn't acknowledge the past, or assume
drinking will ever be possible again, but not to
doom yourself to a half-life of staving off relapse.

I respect all roads to sobriety, but I am finding
that my moderation ideas were simply symptoms
of wanting to stay in the old paradigm of self,

But what if it is possible to build another paradigm
where deep issues of trust and fear and addicted conditioning
are addressed and released?

What if suffering leads to a radical expansion and growth which
makes previous negative choices simply untenable to who you are now?
I find that a worthy goal.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I don't agree alcoholism is a chronic condition in sobriety and it's out there waiting doing push ups in sobriety

I think I know where your coming from but to me it just sounds wrong the way you wrote it with daily work I stand a chance ???

Better put if you don't want to drink you won't end of there are no standing of chances

if you accept your alcoholism you accept your alcoholism
I am an alcoholic regardless of my acceptance. It simply is the truth. The acceptance of my condition is necessary for my recovery, certainly.

I have to feed my recovery daily - much like watering my plants. Failure for ME to do the necessary daily maintenance necessary strengthens MY chronic condition - as it may flair up with or without a drink.

Friends here and elsewhere may be capable of removing alcohol from their lives, get sober and not have to do things daily to feed their recovery. This is not my experience and I hear from many who relapse that they stopped doing what kept them sober.

YMMV

Thank you fir your thoughts my friend.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agreed FlyB. If you google "Craig Ferguson + alcoholism", he said as much during his famous late late show monologue that has now become legendary. It's a kidney patient's responsibility to show up for dialysis treatments. It's an alcoholic's responsibility to live sober every day. It's not over, but with proper management we can lead very manageable and full lives.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
but respect that fact it's out there doing push ups - waiting - Number 1

With daily work, I stand a chance though - Number 2
Without you getting pedantic this is what I meant and your smart enough to know that either way each to thier own

Sobriety before anything
Old 03-30-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find it important to take care of myself spiritually, which I believe is what you meant, but I don't care for "wolf at the door" thinking that prevents people from moving on. As much as I personally enjoy AA meetings for example, I sometimes see dependence being created, instead of independence. That said, it's a healthier form of dependence than drinking, that's for sure.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
I find it important to take care of myself spiritually, which I believe is what you meant, but I don't care for "wolf at the door" thinking that prevents people from moving on. As much as I personally enjoy AA meetings for example, I sometimes see dependence being created, instead of independence. That said, it's a healthier form of dependence than drinking, that's for sure.
Prayer, meditation, talking with other alcoholics and staying available - these are among the things I attempt to do daily to stay sober and express my gratitude.

Tonight as I was facilitating a weekly speaker meeting I learned of a friends death from alcohol. He was 39 years old, went to rehab a few times and just couldn't shake it. On separate occasions he garnered two years, one year and then a few months. Insidious is the word that comes to mind.........wasteful is another. So sad........I will miss his smile and humor. I am certain his kids are broken hearted.