Notices

Alcoholic and drinking in moderation

Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

idk I'm just going to read
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Not me, and I found out the hard way after 3.5 years of sobriety. I made a decision to try and drink socially and after that first drink there was no stopping me. Luckily I was able to finally get back on track. I hear in AA some people are able to test the waters, and some successfully pull it off a few times, but I have heard too many of these people finally losing control again. Some make it back to AA, some don't. I think only non-alcoholics can truly drink socially. Us alcoholics know who we are.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I always ended up right back where I was before.... or worse. Alcoholism truly is progressive. Even if its "not that bad" right now, it will get very bad.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by greenteababe View Post
i think hardcore alcoholics probably can never drink again but it's all a personal thing.

rn i'm telling myself i can't drink anymore but if i'm being honest i think i might in the future. i walked past a bar the other day and my heart started racing which is pretty weird
I think most of us thought we might return to drinking at some point I know I did. But nothing ever changed once I did return.

D
Old 03-29-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Once I accepted the fact that I cannot drink again, I found that I don't want to drink again. Acceptance is the key and we each have to find that within ourselves.
I agree with this. Took me years, but I finally accepted it. And I'm so much happier!

TW
Old 03-31-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My input, trying to drink like a normal person or drink moderately was a lot more effort than just not drinking at all.

Realistically, I could go out for a few beers and a rum and coke without going into withdrawals. It's the day after that things really go downhill.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Once our brains have been "rewired" from problem drinking, I am convinced that moderation is not possible. Even pro-moderation advocates suggest that moderation is only effective BEFORE patterns have developed and altered the brain's neurological pathways. Sure, some may moderate for awhile, but ultimately moderation as a lifestyle isn't sustainable.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
Once our brains have been "rewired" from problem drinking, I am convinced that moderation is not possible.
Agreed. This has become very obvious to me when I've tried to moderate. I still react to the alcohol in the exact same way, regardless of how much or how often I drink.