Notices

Muscle Memory?

Old 03-27-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Muscle Memory?

Hi everyone,

I've been posting in the newbies forum for a while, but have decided to spread my wings.

This is day 8 for me, and after a horrible withdrawal on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun last weekend I felt relatively ok for the rest of the week, and by Friday I felt good....

Last night however (Saturday) I started to feel the residual shake in my muscles again, felt dizzy and couldn't sleep very well.

I've been a weekend binge drinker for about 16 years, but have kept clean and healthy the rest of the time. Could this reaction at the weekend be my body saying....'hang on, it's the weekend....where's the booze'?

Thanks for your posts everyone....they're really helpful.

Happy Easter!!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

8 days sober is still early in recovery. Give yourself more sober time to see if you don't start feeling better. And if the tremors don't get better, then see your doctor.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with least Stiltskin - it's probably going to be a bit of a rollercoaster for a while as mind and body heal. Give it time

D
Old 03-27-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stiltskin View Post

This is day 8 for me

Could this reaction at the weekend be my body saying....'hang on, it's the weekend....where's the booze'?
Yes, at day 8 your body and mind could still have some heavy cravings and some withdrawals .
But, the good news is that you should be over those in very short time now,
If not feeling better in a week or two see your doctor.
Should be slight improvement most every day now for you.

M-Bob
Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Yeah, I really think that's quite possible. I had this type of thing happen at night pretty often, which was my allotted drinking time.

I wondered, "If I'm not in withdrawal at 11 am, why the heck am I in withdrawal at 6 pm?"

My doc confirmed I wasn't crazy. The body is looking for its drug at the customary time.

Congrats on your sobriety. It's an investment that pays excellent and I do mean EXCELLENT returns!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

We'll be here for you every step of the way congrats on day 8
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It can be quite a roller coaster in the first two weeks, also physically. I'm on Day 5 after a two week binge that followed over two years of sobriety, and on Days 3-4 I felt pretty fantastic, lots of energy and focus. Last night was very restless and today I woke up with something that almost feels like a hangover, not as bad luckily but sore muscles, my mind is much foggier than the days before, and just a bit malaise in general. These fluctuations happen to many of us in the beginning, the important thing is to keep going forward, it definitely evens out with time. Yeah, it's adjustment of the body as like others said, it takes a while and does not usually follows a linear route. And yes maybe your feeling uneasy on the weekend if you were a weekend drinker is part of it. Addiction is really a giant web of associations, both physical and emotional memories and it takes time for that to rearrange, why it's so important not to give in. What helps me is to remind myself it'll only get better if I stay sober, probably with fluctuations but it's a forward journey.

Btw, sometimes it's as simple as momentary dehydration or low blood sugar, so maybe try to drink a lot of water and eat well, see what happens. I had a large breakfast and am starting to feel a lot better now.

Congrats on 8 days
Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone......Excellent advice as always :0)