Notices

10 things never to say to an non drinker

Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

10 things never to say to an non drinker

Hi SR people. I just read this and thought you might like it. I have never been questioned why I wasn't drinking. I have had friends ask me if I am still on "that no drinking kick". That stopped happening after a year though. I love the comments section on the article. This guy cracks me up:

Are you an alcoholic?"
Nope, but I know of a rehab you can go to get help for your problem...
"How long are you doing this sober thing?"
A lot longer than you'll ever be able to if you're asking me that question.
"So you're never drinking again?"
Nope. But seriously. I can get you some help.
"But don't you miss it?"
No. I'm calling the rehab for you right now.

10 Things Never to Say to Someone Who Isn't Drinking | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We nondrinkers have all the fun.

I got sober because I thought that alcoholism (mine, specifically) would cost me my career - not to have fun.

But my life is a lot of fun, mixed in with challenges, of course, but still a very rewarding existence.

I just no longer have to burn a village or sacrifice a virgin to have a good time.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, you don't drink...

"What's a matter? Can't handle it?"

"Isn't that special. Are you trying to save the world too?"

"Yeah, I was thinkin of gettin all serious too but then I realized you only live once."

"Wow? Did you give up sex too?"

"Oh, you got a DWI or some court-ordered program to where you gotta get sober for a few months?"

"How long you gonna be on the wagon this time?"
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Am I the odd woman out here? I don't hear these remarks.

Maybe nobody's saying them to me, or maybe it's these new Bose idiot-canceling headphones.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just get a lot of " why?"
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Other than with family in the very start of my quit , it hasn't been a topic of conversation , unless it's been the 'conversation' i.e. being with a person talking about sobriety.
I entertained the notion that it may come up in generic social situations and thought through how I may answer, but the opportunity never presented itself.
I've never asked those questions of others, and I doubt I will. Participate in a conversation about 'sobriety' ? sure if/when it presents itself, heck given my mood and estimation I'd most likely even 'share', but honestly IRL I doubt it will happen , much.
Different story here, on SR, heck I'll even butt in to give my two cents
Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by talldude View Post
Oh, you don't drink...

"What's a matter? Can't handle it?"

"Isn't that special. Are you trying to save the world too?"

"Yeah, I was thinkin of gettin all serious too but then I realized you only live once."

"Wow? Did you give up sex too?"

"Oh, you got a DWI or some court-ordered program to where you gotta get sober for a few months?"

"How long you gonna be on the wagon this time?"
I hope those thing weren't said to you. My friends just wanted me to continue to drink with them. They never put me down like that.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No one ever says much to me about it. Maybe because everyone who knows me already knows-from their own experience!-that I shouldn't be drinking! 😝
Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No one ever questions me either. But, I don't go to bars or places where heavy drinking is going on.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"I've got some gin I can put in your lemonade, just to make it a bit more interesting"
Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think most people know alcoholics can't ever drink but if you prefer not to tell certain people you have a serious problem, they'll really push you to drink. Usually the ones who really push seem to have some kind of drinking problem themselves.

I especially hate the way some of them ignore your wish to stay sober all night and buy a drink then place it in front of you. I came close to slipping a few times when that happened.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Said to me in front of my entire extended family by a family member with whom I was used to tipping the bottle, "Who would like to have a drink with me, because frankly, Fitcher has now become completely worthless".

Not one family member uttered a word in my defense. It was my last family reunion.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Silentrun, some of those have been said to me in my times of sobriety, some of them I have heard thrown at other people, and some of them I have used during the drunk days on those trying to go sober.

There was a time when I was the jerk who needed to know why you quit drinking or why you quit doing drugs. I am proud to say that that judgmental part of me is gone...
Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

one that gets me is some of the old stories. like not everyone finds it hysterical to hear that while drunk I pisssed on the floor and the tv etc... certainly not my wife. and you know a lot of this was like some drunken badge of honor i happily earned at one time and now I think about it and from one perspective I can still laugh at the insanity and stupidity and from another IE if i'm in some non alcoholics shoes i can think good god what was wrong with me!! and then from yet another perspective i can think christ thank god i'm still alive. and if i where to see someone else do this I'd have compassion and sympathy etc..
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well said, ZJW. One thing I'm not into is telling war stories. I don't need to hear them nor share them. I know I'm an addict; the important thing is to just move on with the recovery process and let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was at a college reunion. I knew my old room mates sober but we never had talked about it. I just knew he had stopped drinking. We were all at a bar and he ordered a non-alcoholic beer. I did also. A drinking friend said "Oh no, not you too...."

My next door neighbors know I quit drinking. I finally had to drop out of their annual guys golf outing which was where I last relapsed. He wanted to know why I REALLY was not going. I said "I just can't drink, and I don't have fun with everyone else drinking and looking at me like I am a fifth wheel." He says "Oh, so you are an alcoholic. I have friends like you..."

Wow. Thanks neighbor. Maybe this is why I am so private about my not drinking.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Am I the odd woman out here? I don't hear these remarks.

Maybe nobody's saying them to me, or maybe it's these new Bose idiot-canceling headphones.
I don't hear it much either. Then again I'm 42. I get questioned sometimes for my old high school and college buddies who I did a lot of drinking weather, but no one else. No one around me seems to care that much anymore.