Notices

Alcoholism and Gout

Old 03-21-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and Gout

I am sure most of us are aware that moderate to heavy drinking(esp. beer)makes us more susceptible to gout. I had two bouts within 3 years when my drinking was the heaviest at the end of my drinking life.

Curious if any gout sufferers with years of sobriety have had total relief after abstinence. It would seem you should????? If so that is certainly another HUGE bonus of sobriety. If you have had an attack you know what I am talking about.......
Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I never had gout, but I had a host of other physical issues that were caused by my daily heavy drinking- weight gain, GI issues, easy bruising, dry skin, bloating, etc. Nearly all of them dissapeared within a few months of total abstinence. I would say check with your doctor to be certain, but quitting alcohol certainly can't hurt your chances of relief from gout.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had two attacks in the same toe 6 weeks apart. Two summers later, the same thing. It's only been 6 months since I quit but I am not taking any medication for gout and I have not had an attack since. Also, my toes no longer ache for no apparent reason even when there is no acute attack going on. And I have been hiking 10-20 miles a weekend, really putting a lot of work on those little piggies.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have gout and it didn't go away after I quit drinking. I'm on a daily medication for gout. I do however feel that if I had not drunk all them years I wouldn't have developed gout.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I have gout too and am not on medication. It's funny, but my gout got worse. Not as intense, but more frequent. Like every third week. I can catch it early and a little ibuprofen will take care of it. I was a heavy beer drinker and am 6 months sober.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have had tolerable intermittent pain during longer sobriety. This last daily drinking, gout became full blown. Very painful.

My Dr, advised complete abstinence. Drink lots of water, OTC, heat, ice, menthol rub, bath therapy. If not better in a wk, he'd RX. I'm also drinking tea to help flush kidneys.

Luckily, I'm better. It was so painful, I had to use a cane to walk.

Wishing you all relief.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank several beers a night for over 10 years, and finally developed gout just before I started my sobriety. .....

Its been 97 days sober now and I still have attacks of gout every month or so....but it could also be due to eating red meat. I had to quit that too for a while.

But yeah, I still struggle with gout even after sobriety. I have medication, but dont take it, unless I have a flare-up. I read that celery, and tart cherry juice are excellent for the prevention and reduction of uric acid, leading to gout. It seems to work for me. Apple cider vinegar, and lemon water are also helping me to keep flushed from the toxic buildup of uric acid.

Good luck, and I hope you find what works for you.

Intro
Old 03-21-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had gout -prob due to drinking but some people just produce to much Uric acid. I eventually lost my job through time off work. I remember screaming and crying with the pain of gout over my whole foot. Luckily I'm on meds which have reduced the Uric acid to normal. In case of an attack I now have this super duper pain killer that numbs the worse of the pain almost instantly. Last attack was about 4 years ago. Once I have a few months sobriety going to discuss with doctor if I can cut out the med and have regular bloods taken to see what happens.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup. I had gout so bad in the last year of my drinking that I had to wear slip on shoes. I sort of "hobbled" everywhere. It was horribly painful. 10 months sober and no gout. Not a trace!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Boxer

I have had a few bouts with gout and wouldn't wish it on anyone! When sober 3+ months several times it didn't occur. I too have been a heavy beer drinker. Back on the wagon hopefully for the last time.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have not suffered from gout at all, but I have a good friend who has battled it for a long time. It sounds horribly painful.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I have not suffered from gout at all, but I have a good friend who has battled it for a long time. It sounds horribly painful.
It feels like you've been hit in the foot with a sledge hammer!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The only curve-ball is that gout doesn't necessarily require alcohol to occur. I have a friend who has very frequent and horrible bouts of gout and he doesn't touch alcohol and never has. Could possibly be unrelated.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
The only curve-ball is that gout doesn't necessarily require alcohol to occur. I have a friend who has very frequent and horrible bouts of gout and he doesn't touch alcohol and never has. Could possibly be unrelated.
That doesn't change the fact that quitting drinking is a positive step for a problem drinker or alcoholic - gout or no gout.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband was also a long time beer drinker and had several crippling gout attacks and finally went on medication. His doctor told him they don't really know for certain all of the causes and it does seem to run in families...both his parents had it and they were deeply religious and didn't drink.

But it sure can't help. It takes such a tiny build up in the uric acid concentration for the crystals to start forming and since alcohol is such a potent diuretic it could logically tip the scales quite easily.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My father had gout and never drank a drop, so it happens to people sober or not sober. Alcohol is, however, definitely a major contributor to uric acid levels, and therefore the potential for an acute gout attack and/or chronic gouty arthritis.

Quitting drinking is the best thing a person with gout issues can do and in many cases is all thats needed to minimize or eliminate the issue. That being said, it affects non drinkers as well so it might still happen.

Anti gout medications are going to work a lot better if you aren't drinking.

Just don't drink.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oops, I misread the post. Thought he was worried that gout later in life was caused by the years of previous drinking. I must have still been half asleep when I read it! Definitely alcohol increases chances of gout, no question about it. Just didn't want him beating himself up over it if he quit drinking and still had gout because it might not be to blame later in life. Ok I'm awake now