Notices

How many succeed the first time?

Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many succeed the first time?

I see that a lot of people have relapsed over the last few days, and that made me think: How many succeed the first time they quit drinking and have stayed sober since? This is my first try, and I'd like to think that I have the odds on my side.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

It took me 3 months to get & stay sober so I didn't do it first time I ever tried not to drink after admitting I was alcoholic this is the first time I've been sober longer than 18 days (my previous record) so in a sense this is my first time in prolonged sobriety and I love it

I look after my sobriety I accept it and I try to learn more about myself through it
Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I don't think it really matters what other people did or didn't do. This is your recovery and you can stay quit the first time. Don't give yourself the out that others have relapsed so it's ok if I do. You can do this!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i never took getting sober seriously before. i stopped once for about 30 days a long time ago, but wrong motives, i was still smokin pot, and a dry drunk., so i dont consider that any amount of sober time.
havent drank since i wanted to stop with the right motives- no trying or attempting. just doing it.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I see that a lot of people have relapsed over the last few days, and that made me think: How many succeed the first time they quit drinking and have stayed sober since? This is my first try, and I'd like to think that I have the odds on my side.
A few will stay sober on the first time around.

Be one of those and the odds will be on your side.

Stay busy doing good things.

Bob
Old 03-21-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Other people may relapse but this is YOUR journey.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me getting into ACTION, getting
into my car, driving to many AA recovery
meetings, because computers were not
available to me 25 yrs ago.

It took me to sit quietly, with an openmind.
willingness, to listen, learn, absorb and
apply all that was taught to me about my
addiction and its affects on my body, mind,
soul, life and those around me to help me
remain sober one day at a time.

I had to hear and see many of those
members for myself that learned
themselves how to stay sober. What
they did, how did they go about working
thru many of lifes difficulties that seem
to stump us and want to numb or drown
them with poison, alcohol or drugs.

These folks shared their own ESH experiences,
strengths and hopes of what their lives were
and are like before, during and after their
drinking careers. The taught me how to read
and interperate the Big Book of AA and the
12 Step book and how to incorporate each
step to all areas of my life.

I was told to not place any member on
a pedalstal because no one is perfect.
So I listened intentively to them, sat
near them, hung onto their words of
wisdom to help me learn how to live
sober for myself.

Today, I have all those experiences,
all those lessons I learned and continue
to learn and am still sober for 25 yrs. now.

I am not above anyone in recovery. I
am sober today because I applied all
those important lessons I learned yrs.
ago and everyday in all areas of my life.

I continue to live a sober life and pass
on all that hope that was freely passed
on to me over the yrs. to many who are
beginning their recovery journey today.

I humbly, honestly live my life sober
all to the best of my human ability with
Faith, hope and love.

You can too..!!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once I was serious and wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink, I stayed sober.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Based on your criteria I guess you won't know if you have succeeded until you die having not relapsed, so that's kind of a tricky question for people to answer. I am happier now than I ever have been including before I was drinking. I am succeeding.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Here's what I think only a week from my last "relapse;" everyone succeeds the first time they honestly try. It's the honestly part that is a kicker, because we hide things even from ourselves.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Early on in my sobriety I was walking with my sponsor and I told her I had tried to get sober a few times before but always failed. She stopped and grabbed a stick from the ground and said "Try to get this stick." I reached for it. Missed. I went behind her back and tried to get it. Missed. I asked her "can I please have the stick?" She said "No." For 2 minutes I "tried" to get the stick and failed miserably. Then she said "Now take the stick." I lunged at her and ripped the stick out of her hands. "That," she said "Is how you get sober. You just DO it. Trying is not involved. You just DO it." That has stuck with me.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Comparing ourselves to others is generally not a productive practice. You have a 100% chance of succeeding if you really want to in sobriety...that's the beauty of it.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The stats are against making any given quit stick. They will be for awhile and that's OK. Use it as a warning that this is going to be very challenging and plan accordingly. I tried getting drunk at 3 months but I still consider this my first quit. I took a direct hit that night but didn't get knocked completely down. I thought of ways to keep it from happening again. I very well could have again but my plan worked and the next time I didn't make the same mistake.

I agree with the other posters. You don't try: you get really determined. This has to work because going back is just not an option. I have seen you on the sugar thread. I think you are doing yourself a big favor by taking care of that now.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A few of you guessed what I really wanted to know, that everybody fails their first attempt and that I can have that one time "relapsing". My AV is really optimistic on my behalf. But I don't want to. I want to do what's best for me, and that is to stay sober.

The Norwegian government has strict rules for the sale of alcohol. Grocery stores are only allowed to sell alcoholic beverages with up to 5 % alcohol, and only between 9am-8pm (6pm on Saturdays, no sale on Sundays). If you want wine or liquor you have to go to a Very Special Liquor Store, and there are only 300 of them in the country. (!) This means that you have to plan your purchases well in advance, which will turn out to be a huge advantage for me, trying to quit.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This thread reminded me of this scene from An officer and a gentleman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2JN2PrHJg

Not everybody needs to get their butt handed to them. Some people quit and the first sign of trouble.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Fabela, I don't know how you "heard" that. To me, that smacks of a person planning a relapse. (Takes one to know one and I've been one.)

People can absolutely succeed on their first try.
It just needs to not be a "try."
You can be one of those.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Fabela, I don't know how you "heard" that. To me, that smacks of a person planning a relapse. (Takes one to know one and I've been one.)
That's just the thing! I don't have a physical addiction to alcohol, my body doesn't demand it, but I definitely have a psychological addiction and when that kicks in I don't want to stop. I want to drink, I plan to drink, sometimes days in advance. My husband doesn't understand this, he says that I am able to stop outside the store and reconsider, or stop when I pick up the six-pack of beer, or when I take one out of the fridge, but I don't want to stop!

I don't have active plans to drink now. Not the very least. But now I feel strong and in control. What happens the day I get really angry, or very sad, or something bad happens? That's what I have to prepare for, make a plan for. *sigh*
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The first time I quit drinking I was sober for five straight years. Then I started again, and it was a huge mistake I would take back if I could.

Does that make five years a "failure"? Not to me, because it meant I knew I could and that reality is helping me this, my last time, on day 80. The only failure was starting again.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Minnesota has the same laws as Norway. Probably because it was settled mostly by Scandinavians (4th gen Swede here). That is going to make it easier for you to put yourself in a recovery bubble for awhile. My hubby didn't think I had enough of a problem to quit either. That is what he said "just cut down." I wasn't yet physically addicted. I decided to get while the getting was good. I may or may not have the ability to stop once I start but I know for certain I have no desire to control my drinking. If I can't have 7 or 8 I don't even want to bother with one.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Define, "quit drinking". Once I was serious about it, which didn't come until I finally saw there was no alternative, I stayed quit. There are charts and graphs around that I've seen, but the longer you stay quit, the more likely you are to stay quit into the future.

Will I stay quit forever? I don't know for sure, but at this point in my life I have no interest at all in drinking again, and I can't see what could possibly change my opinion on that. I know I've had zero interest in smoking weed or snorting coke or dropping acid for 30 years now, and I don't see that changing either.