Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Finding a treatment center feels like I'm speeding! I need some advice!

Notices

Finding a treatment center feels like I'm speeding! I need some advice!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Finding a treatment center feels like I'm speeding! I need some advice!

Hi guys!

This is a really long post so if you don't really want to read everything, skip to the last few lines of this post.

So I'm new here. I'm trying to find a rehabilitation center on my own. I don't really have any family members and my dear friends are just as lost as I am about finding a recovery place I have really good insurance and in a state of desperation, I called a couple referral lines I found online. All they wanted to do was give me is the most expensive place possible, even when it was out of network. One of the places told me that the luxury high-end place in California would charge my insurance and I would not owe a dime except for my deductible. They said that they would line up a flight for me that day to fly in in the next few days. I said I was ready to go however, when I asked them if they could send me the contract in writing via email, the same people that said they would do anything for me to get better completely bailed.

A lot of the other places that I've looked into locally you only stay for a few days and then you're on your own.

I never thought that it would be this hard and I'm extremely frustrated and upset because I just want to get better. I've spent the last week in bed either drinking, eating junk food, or sleeping while being bombarded with phone calls from places that want to put me in luxury resorts that offer the 12 step program approach.

I want to be somewhere for at least a couple of weeks. I also suffer from PTSD and depression, so I would need a place that's dual diagnosis.

I feel very defeated and like I'm living in this giant nightmare. This is my first time ever trying to find a rehabilitation place and as I'm sure some of you guys can understand, I am physically unable to stop drinking on my own without experiencing very uncomfortable withdraw t I feel very defeated and like I'm living in this giant nightmare. This is my first time ever trying to find a rehabilitation put this in as I'm sure some of you guys can understand, I am physically unable to stop drinking on my own without experiencing very uncomfortable effects.

My insurance companies substance abuse referral program has not gotten back to me yet and it's the weekend so nothings really going to happen until Monday. However, I need help and I need help fast… I do eventually have to get back to work as well.

Can any of you guys please give some advice to a first timer who's trying to navigate the confusing waters of finding a proper treatment center. I worry that if I just go for a few days and take medication there but I'm not going to get better and I'm going to relapse..

Thank you much for this assistance.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

It sounds like your major concern is getting turned back out loose too early, and then relapsing.

Simplify the problem in your mind. You don't need the world's most perfect awesomest treatment center in the world. You need one that will keep you long enough.

What happens at the treatment center is really just the first step -- getting you dry and keeping you dry a little while. So don't overthink it. You'll have plenty of time once you're out, and a month or so sober, to line up longer-term support that fits YOU perfectly.

For now, get somewhere and get the sobering up process started.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad your here. those ones that only keep people a few days i have a feeling are detox facilities.
it reads like youre wanting a rehab, which is awesome to read.
have ya used the resources on this site to help search?

and what do you consider a "proper" treatment center?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just want to go to a place for more than a few days and learn how to deal with staying sober. I know that a couple weeks isn't just going to fix everything I got to do a lot of work on my end.

A proper treatment center to me is one that has a medical staff. I definitely will need something to help me with the shakes. A lot of the places I called it a lot of holistic approaches.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

For what it's worth, holistic approaches were what finally set me free, but they were administered by a medical doctor.

Do these "holistic" places NOT have a doctor on staff? Is that even legal?

Call your primary care doctor for a referral.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It will depend on what coverage you have with your insurance. Who is your carrier? Where do you live?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
For what it's worth, holistic approaches were what finally set me free, but they were administered by a medical doctor.

Do these "holistic" places NOT have a doctor on staff? Is that even legal?

Call your primary care doctor for a referral.
I'm not 100% sure but I do know that this place kept talking about their horses and personal chef.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
It will depend on what coverage you have with your insurance. Who is your carrier? Where do you live?

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan… And I also live in Michigan.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi,

I do think it sounds like you are very seriously looking for an answer. I'm going to share my real life experience and it may offend some.

It is important where you go to treatment. I have been a number of times. The treatments I had through Valley Hope facilities was "decent" but expensive.

The treatment I went through this last time was more destructive than helpful. I ended up drinking again after it, but am now a few weeks sober.

If there is any way you can get someone you know to recommend a place it would help. Like I said, I just know the Valley Hope facilities are at least not a traumatic experience.

It is worth waiting a few days to find a good place. I left the last treatment so screwed up that I now wake up every night screaming. The people I was there with were people who had been to prison for extended times and they said the only thing that made them stay was that the amount of time they had to do was shorter. I won't go into details.

The Valley Hope facilities I have gone to were far from perfect, but actually a mostly positive experience.

Insurance often won't cover treatment and have many "reasons" to give you, but at some point if I need to go I have to do it regardless of the cost.

Please, if you can find a friend (and they don't have to understand everything about alchoholism) to assist you as an advocate, do so. I know that one of the problems for me was that if I was drinking I tended to take what ever I could get or squabble over things that didn't matter. Be sure they check in on you after intake.

I'm not making statements about your medical condition (a separate issue), but addressing my experiences with treatment and what I have learned for me.

Nands
Old 03-19-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hello, Pi-

Have you considered Brighton Center for Recovery in Brighton MI?

Treatment Programs - Brighton Center for Recovery

They are affiliated with St. John Providence- which does take BCBS as I understand it. I would think that they could help navigate your insurance through their admissions dept.

There is an inpatient program, which would be where to start the detox and rehab process.

The wonderful thing is that you sound very motivated! Best of luck to you from this fellow Michigander.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-19-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovepi View Post
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan… And I also live in Michigan.
brighton hospital and maplegrove in west bloomfield are pretty good.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hazelden is the gold standard from what I know. And they're in Minnesota. I agree that there's a lot of flaky outfits. Might as well do it right.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-19-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's fine to mention names but please don't link to rehab centres guys - they are commercial links and are not allowed in this forum.

You may PM links if you wish, no worries

Dee
SR
Old 03-19-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ilovepi, this is a national database of treatment centres (USA).

You can enter your general location, see whats nearby, and then refine your results according to what you want by clicking the 'select services' button

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/Tre...ickSearch.jspx

good luck

D
Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
brighton hospital and maplegrove in west bloomfield are pretty good.
Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Hello, Pi-

Have you considered Brighton Center for Recovery in Brighton MI?

Treatment Programs - Brighton Center for Recovery

They are affiliated with St. John Providence- which does take BCBS as I understand it. I would think that they could help navigate your insurance through their admissions dept.

There is an inpatient program, which would be where to start the detox and rehab process.

The wonderful thing is that you sound very motivated! Best of luck to you from this fellow Michigander.

I called Maple Grove but I think they just do detox for a few days and then you're required to go to their 30 day outpatient program that you would have to come to every day and I do not have the transportation at this time to do that.

Did not look into Brighton I'll give them a call on Monday!

Man I sure wish I would've signed up for this for him a few days ago you guys are really helpful.