Notices

St Paddy's day, hung on by a thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

St Paddy's day, hung on by a thread

I am lying here alone in my bed, friends went out to the city tonight for some St Patrick's day drinking. So far I've made it to day 11. I really didn't have any problem stopping, I just decided and stopped. I spent 3 nights awake and 5 drenched in sweat, sheets soaking and room musty every morning. Really terrible you know freezing then boiling. My shirts were soaked in the arm pits for a week while awake then poof, it stopped too. I'm finally starting to feel normal, whatever that is. I've been drinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 14 beers a night for 26 years. Really bad nights when it would be strong beer instead of Coors. Sometimes Jameson or red wine on steak nights. Jameson nights could turn out bad too. Waking up with a stranger, can't even remember her name. I've replaced the alcohol with an 8 bottle a day water habit but my lips are still dry.*

Today is the first day I've really craved some beer, Damn I want some green beer. But alas I could recognize the signs of the long term damage I inflicted over the years and will stay strong and lie here sipping on my cool water. My skin on my nose and cheeks has a permanent red tint, the small veins blown up. I will say the overall redness has decreased immensely. I think since I made it through tonight I will be able to continue.

I also noticed after 4 or 5 days my blood pressure has subsided. I took it at the store on Tuesday and got a 133/82. Alot lower than recently, every day it was so high I could feel it pounding in my neck and face. Glad thats over, sitting at my desk at work, listening to my drunken heart pound out the booze from the night before.

We'll my first post here, just ranting but I know I have to quit or die. Body don't lie, it's screaming at me last 2 years, I feel if I don't tune in it'll be curtains soon. I so feel amazing though. First time I havent drank except a few 2 or 3 day work stints here or there over the years.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Trav, you've made a great decision. You will see a lot of improvement as you get more time under your belt, it sounds like you are already seeing some great benefits. Hope you can stick around and join us on a regular basis
Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you- there's loads more advice and help on the newcomers to recovery section- it also tends to be read by more people.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go man. Seriously. I know exactly what you're going through and how hard it is to resist those little drinking thoughts and special occasions. Every time you do that it gets easier. Take good care of yourself and keep this going. It is so worth it, and you're through the toughest part.

Just don't get complacent, and don't listen when your AV talks to you and tells you how well you've done, and that you need a reward. Do not listen. Instead do just what you're doing - being healthy and being strong. That voice gets weaker and weaker as you get stronger. Way to go man.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on doing the right thing. Days like that can be tough and you stuck with it, good job!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Trav
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you resisted the urge Trav - welcome to SR

D
Old 03-18-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 11 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Trav
Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome, Trav!
I have had the "death scare"...my body will not take anymore alcohol abuse. My life was 'hanging on a thread'! If the thought of drinking and dying does not hit home I don'the know what else could. Those 5 nights probably were hell. I know first hand. Been there and never want to put my body and mind through that pain and suffering. Once I started looking and feeling alive the risk of damaging myself with the poison of alcohol is not worth it. Glad you are with us. Great choice not to give into that nasty AV (alcoholic voice).It doesn't care about your health or life. It is selfish and you have to "kill" it before it kills you.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

Sounds like you got the idea of the difference now and understand that is back to the same rather quickly if not immediately if you imbibe. I will tell you from experience that you will continue to get better. You might have to find some productive things to do with your drinking time. It is amazing how many things one can do and how much we can get done. Keep on keeping on.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr trav. Were really glad you're doing well and here.
and yes, the alcohol will eventually kill you. It's just a matter of time.
There's one thing you need to do and is to trust us. When you read our story's and advise take it to heart. Ask anyone here that has long term sobriety and they will tell you that staying sober is better than being drunk. Also take action. Massive amounts of action. Get your mind on recovery and the hell with green beer. With time you'll see the light. Thanks for sharing. You'll be fine. Just don't drink.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still here

Still here. Still sober. Thanks for the kind words everyone. Day 17, eating really healthy, lost 9 pounds. Not sure if it was beer bloat or what but dropped from 200 to 191.
I definately need to start some hobbies now because I'm really bored.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

What kinds of things are you into, or would you like to be into?

D
Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Trav.

I tend to avoid debaucheries, like St. Patrick's Day, these days.

And I'm Irish.

Those types of events used to always involve black-outs for me.

Glad you are here with us and not out on a bender.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job Trav. Keep going.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
What kinds of things are you into, or would you like to be into?

D
I think mountain biking would be nice. Used to alot in the day. I'm going to go buy one with all this cash I'm not spending.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mountain biking is awesome... Go for it Trav.. I mostly road bike here in SE Asia because of the heat and humidity, but I have two mtb's waiting for me to get back to the Pacific Northwest in April. Its a great workout, good for balance and thrilling. What more could you want in a sport? I also want to try some extended bikepacking. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mountain biking is awesome. Just had my old bike tuned up after years of sitting and I plan to take it on a short run today.