Notices

Worry

Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worry

I have nothing to worry about, at all. I have a job, place to live, enough food, and decent relationships, yet I feel like my mind is constantly trying to make up things for me to worry about.

I've been sober about 7.5 months and recently completed the steps.

Has or does this happen to you? What do you do about it?

CJ.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes - it's called anxiety ;-) Many suffer from it, and many used alcohol or drugs to try and deal with it. Looking back at my life personally, I was most likely suffering from it before I even started drinking alcoholically - so quitting drinking in itself did not "cure" it.

For me I've been doing some therapy and using mindfulness, meditation. I have also accepted that in some sense, the anxiety will always be a part of me...so I can figure out ways to cope with it, but I'll probably never completely eliminate it from my life.

Many of the 12 steps can help you learn to cope too, you could try working through them again with a sponsor.

Another thing that's worth noting is that many psychologists and doctors speculate that it can take years for our brains to completely "re-wire" themselves from years of heavy drinking. So time can be a healer in itself.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Cejay I can't say it any better than Scott just did all i'l say is first congratulations and second if you ever want to chat drop a pm

Good work on the 7.5 months keep on keeping on
Old 03-17-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott is absolutely right. What you are feeling is anxiety and I know from personal experience, it's no fun. I try to use Mindfulness in my daily life. Mindfulness attempts to keep you present, in the moment. When your mind wanders to the past and future looking for troubles, you can gently pull it back and focus on the moment you are in.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes.
Do you do any morning meditation or prayer? That really helps me. This morning I put on classical music and sat still for 5 minutes and focused on my breathing. When my mind wanders I pull it back and just think about breathing in and out. Then I ask God to be with me, to help me to turn things over to him and trust that he will help me get through anything I need.

I was at a meeting last night and the speaker talked about how he prays and meditates every morning. His wife is dying of cancer and his teenage daughter tried to take her own life last month. Despite this being the hardest time he has ever faced, he is remarkably peaceful because he knows God has his hand on him and will care for him through anything. I really REALLY want serenity and peace in my life like he has! So I make time each morning to meditate and talk to God.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Read "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all - I didn't realize that's what anxiety is. Now that I'm armed with the right noun I'm able to research it.

I've been all wound up about a relationship related decision, didn't sleep well and my mind was going a little nuts this morning.

I woke up to a free audible book credit email this morning so I snagged the one recommended (Is that my HP looking out for me or what?!)

I took 5 mins to sit outside, closed my eyes, listened to the birds and traffic for 5 mins and came back feeling much better.

Thank you for taking the time to make these suggestions.

CJ.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had it made as well, great job, lived alone in my own place, good health, lots of toys, 2 girlfriends that don't mind me with the other, all kinds of goods stuff. Then after 45 years of blackout drinking and drug use I got my fourth DUI, facing jail time and losing it all, I thought I got a third woman pregnant and had a good friend OD in front of me all in one week. Needless to say I had anxiety and wasn't sleeping well. Ten minutes sleeping in a row was a long time. Usually I would fall asleep and wake up in less than a minute and all my problems would rush through my mind pretty much in the same order each time. The only way i was able to sleep at all was to think of a black hole and try to let my mind go blank. I had to find solutions to problems fast or else or never sleep again. I found I had to write down all my problems, find solutions, write them down and work towards solving them. Worrying only makes the suffering and problems worse, they need solutions. Eventually things calmed down, I kept my job and everything, but only with the help of a good therapist and actively working towards finding solutions, like how to get where i need to go, I moved close to work. hired a good attorney. I'm sleeping better now, usually 1-3 hours at a time and collectively about 5-6 hours per night. That week was a wake up call for me, sort of scared straight, It convinced me I can't ever drink again, now that I'm convinced I don't have any cravings, problems are easier to overcome and I feel much better than ever. So I write things down and don't obsess.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

yep try and remain in the present. I went so far as to tattoo "be present" on my wrist to always remind me.

Gotta be careful of your mind before you know it your off on a little journey and its got you by the nose like a bull with a ring and its just draggen you all over worry this worry that think of this think of that blah blah blah. I've read many times to be the spectator of your mind and life not the dictator. Take a step back and watch the mind dont get caught up in it. Dont let it hook you. with practice it gets easier and easier.

I will tell myself things like No that is not happening NOW. Where my mind is taking me is it Now? where am i? am i here? or am I off another trip with my mind.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Yes.
Do you do any morning meditation or prayer? That really helps me. This morning I put on classical music and sat still for 5 minutes and focused on my breathing. When my mind wanders I pull it back and just think about breathing in and out. Then I ask God to be with me, to help me to turn things over to him and trust that he will help me get through anything I need.

I was at a meeting last night and the speaker talked about how he prays and meditates every morning. His wife is dying of cancer and his teenage daughter tried to take her own life last month. Despite this being the hardest time he has ever faced, he is remarkably peaceful because he knows God has his hand on him and will care for him through anything. I really REALLY want serenity and peace in my life like he has! So I make time each morning to meditate and talk to God.
I have been through similar things and I can confirm what Bunny is saying. Daily practice of steps ten and eleven as a way of life, really has been the complete solution.

I ran into some anxiety a few years back. After my wife died I thought I would take the opportunity to check it out. I saw a therapist who gave me a book, The Worry Trap by Chad LeJeune. It provided helpful information and a CBT approach to anxiety. I found it very interesting. However I have found living the steps on a daily basis requires a lot less conscious effort and works well for me.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One thing I started doing in early recovery that has made a huge difference in my attitude was practicing gratitude each day. Counting your blessings puts your mind on positive things.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's brain chemistry. Some people are predisposed to anxiety and pessimism. Alcohol doesn't help of course, as it damages serotonin and dopamine production, and receptors, and increases depression.

Best thing is to seek to maintain permanent sobriety, and increase those brain chemicals through regular exercise, quality sleep, and proper diet. I believe mindfulness and AA steps help also, by rewiring the thinking patterns.