Notices

The Island of Misfit Drunks, Part 2

Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
p***enger

Did you drink? Why? For courage.

On the other hand, I have very high tolerance for pain.

What are you afraid of, sleep?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I'm afraid of dying without ever finding a single thing that I am really, truly good at and find some success in and am appreciated for. I want to be part of something yet my condition keeps me just outside of everything.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Being alone.
Wanting and not getting.
Falling.
Confrontation.
Going crazy.
Anger.
Losing control.
You know you're loved.

I love you.

Love all my misfits.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

sleepie, do you know how good you've been at being my friend? I can't love you more for how you've treated me.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

((( hug)))

Sleepie: I like the post apocalyptic stories because I've always been interested in how and why people behave in certain ways in groups.
I've always been fascinated by events like the stanford prison experiments, what happened at Abu Ghraib, the milgram experiment, nazi germany, Rwanda.
I know a lot of those are psych experiments, but they have a social aspect as well, I guess they're a mix.
" never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" (forget who's quote that is)

Sooooo, anyway, apocalyptic stories are the best for that! When the structures and social norms that make us behave are stripped away- then all hell breaks lose! Or not.

Sometimes in my stories, humans start again and live off the land in a kind of utopia; and we learn from out previous mistakes.
In my other stories **** goes really bad like in " the road"

I like those stories too, one of my favourite stories is " the stand" Stephen king's book.

I usually use a virus as the agent of destruction
Old 03-21-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Really Trach?
I wish I knew someone like you IRL. I like to keep it simple but I don't have any non drinking friends so I end up just being alone all the time.

jsbodhi that Stanford prison experiment came to mind immediately. There's a film about it I think but I haven't seen it. It is interesting how people will part with their humanity and I was only thinking of that today, in regards to war. I mean when people are like "Oh just drop a bomb and problem solved" and that some people actually believe this. I mean really.

How do you work out medical needs and stuff in your stories? Like "put some dirt on it" and hope for the best 'cause everything's gone?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Really
Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Really Trach?
I wish I knew someone like you IRL. I like to keep it simple but I don't have any non drinking friends so I end up just being alone all the time.

jsbodhi that Stanford prison experiment came to mind immediately. There's a film about it I think but I haven't seen it. It is interesting how people will part with their humanity and I was only thinking of that today, in regards to war. I mean when people are like "Oh just drop a bomb and problem solved" and that some people actually believe this. I mean really.

How do you work out medical needs and stuff in your stories? Like "put some dirt on it" and hope for the best 'cause everything's gone?
Yes exactly! It's amazing how powerful peer pressure is!
I have a stanford prison experiment anecdote for you

So as I mentioned I'm a sociology concentrated criminology major..
In one of my classes, my prof showed us an interview with Phillip Zimbardo ( it was his experiment)
He was talking about how out of control things got and how quickly- he mentioned that he got swept away too.
He brought his girlfriend in to show her everything, and she was horrified and upset, she got mad at him and told him he needed to stop it.

My prof and I were laughing because he only shut it down because his girlfriend was pissed at him haha

For the medical issues the characters do a lot of looting for supplies, they often find medical books or remember things that they were told or saw on tv.
Throwing in an ex army medic never hurts either
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Sleepie: I'm pretty alone too.
I was actually thinking of getting a dog :/
Haven't decided yet.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
p***enger

Trach, I never understand what you mean by love. But thank you.

Re alone, I'm not alone because of my husband but I unravel pretty fast when he's not around (hence the fear).

Sleepie, trach is right. You're really good at understanding and supporting people. Have you ever worked with children at all? Have you ever considered studying art therapy?

js -- which would you rather: a virus that wiped out say 99% of the population completely and left the rest immune, or da virus that sometimes corrupts those it doesn't kill -- like a zombie-contagion kind of thing?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi courage!

I prefer the wipe out- the zombies is too much for me to write.
I'm not big on action either- I slow psychological stories.

Which do you prefer?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
p***enger

I like the idea that in the aftermath of the apocalypse, there's some malevolent corrupted remains of the old world to deal with. Not necessarily zombies.

Since the last few years of my drinking, I haven't read much of anything, but I like to think about those kinds of stories. I'm really impressed that you & sleepie both write. I never could pull off any writing myself, and have pretty much given up on it now.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I like the idea that in the aftermath of the apocalypse, there's some malevolent corrupted remains of the old world to deal with. Not necessarily zombies.

Since the last few years of my drinking, I haven't read much of anything, but I like to think about those kinds of stories. I'm really impressed that you & sleepie both write. I never could pull off any writing myself, and have pretty much given up on it now.
I'm not sure I'm any good haha!
I just like the stories and it passes the time too
I don't write as much as I'd like, and I highly doubt anything will ever come of it, it's just a hobby.
Like guitar- there's not a hope I'll ever be a rockstar, but I still like it

What do you like to do?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Lol jsbodhi!

What kind of dog are you thinking of maybe getting?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Thanks courage, I usually think I don't understand anyone too much at all. Back when I was in school I wanted to go on to art therapy. But my psycho mom put a stop to that. It would have given me a chance at success and she couldn't live with that. I wasn't allowed to be "better" than her in any way.

I can't write at all, all I am good for is essays every now and then and just my own dumb experiences.

But I really do love autobiographies and reading about other people's experiences. It's one of my favorite things to read.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Lol jsbodhi!

What kind of dog are you thinking of maybe getting?
I'm not sure! I was thinking maybe a mutt, I'll get a rescue one if I get one at all.
I like pitbulls/ staffordshires as well.
There's a lot of that breed up for adoption.
A medium to large, maybe a husky too.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I love a good distopia. "Alas, Babylon" is still in print from 1959.

Not a distopia on purpose, but Naomi Klein "The Shock Doctrine" was pretty amazing insights.

I think every generation has its themes. The Zombies from the late 50's. The Vampires in the mid sixties. Makes sense to me. Before that, good old Frankenstein.

Man, monsters, machines.

Marge Piercy wrote the most amazing one, "A Woman Out of Time". And of course, Margaret Atwood.....Crake and Orxy. Oh heavens......the trilogy blew my mind.

There was pretty famous sci Fi about time travel as tourism. And the butterfly. Wow. How one little thing can change a whole future world. Can't think of the title.

Anyway, I think we can make little changes in our thinking, changing our perspectives. Let go of old, worn out self concepts,! Sheesh, you guys are all great people! Each one of you has so much to offer.

I'm too brain dead to expand on this, I'll be home in a few more hours.

Shock collars. How dogs who get shocked after going past a certain point in the yard. How after enough shocks the don't need the collar to stop them. Do we get trained to some bonus BS?

Talk among yourselves and Let me know how that settles in your mind.

Love from Lenina
Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Well personally I like the shock collar theory Lenina. But I also know I am going through life with messed up grey matter. So I have no idea what I personally can really do and at what point I am in over my head which seems to be most of the time these days. I mean if a professional could let me know where the line is I'd be ok. But haven't got one and trying to figure out what to do with that whole mess, currently.

I mean I've been trying for a life time now and I am really worn out.

So things are ok here on Bed Island.

jsbodhi those all sound soooo cute. I love critters, just love 'em.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Lenina: I loved both oryx and crake as well as the shock doctrine.

What is it that you have sleepie? What are you trying to fix or deal with? Sorry if you said and I missed it!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

here's a good quick article on prison reform:

Why Norway's prison system is so successful - Business Insider

I find this kind of thing interesting, living where I do. A very rah rah military country where punishment and revenge instead of reform and justice thrives.

And greed, I mean we are quite un-evolved.