Notices

First steps the hardest. ....

Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First steps the hardest. ....

Not sure how active this group is, but looking through some posts, y'all seem pretty cool. What brought me here, my second dui i guess...... received while parked. ..... well now i have to go to classes and AA, guess another group couldn't hurt (especially one where I'm completely unknown). I was a weekend warrior since about 16, sure I'd relax with a beer after work post 21, and i would enjoy some drinks when out with my friends(i'm mid 30s now). ..... the past 8 months, maybe year, it's been a bit more frequently. .... although, the past 1-3 weeks I've seen how much I'm able to put back. ..... I'm throwing out about 6-8 cases of beer a week. ..... well, the other night i had a couple(3) shots before bed (10pm) and decided I'm done. I don't know if I'm done done, done for a while, I'm not sure right now, but it's either been 48 hours or 72 hours (I've been staying busy with work or video games to try and stay occupied.) Thus far, i think I've given myself more anxiety looking up withdrawing then actual withdrawal symptoms(at least symptoms that i know are symptoms). I don't know that I'm in the clear, or maybe i just had a bad couple weeks, who knows. Maybe the fact that i found myself here, is my first step. Maybe the court ordered classes and AA is my journey, maybe i do want to be done done....... guess I'm just "soundboarding", while I'm hoping to not have any withdrawal symptoms, maybe I'm looking for people to talk too that started this journey. ..... either way, i think that was my longest hello. ...... so, hello
Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery, AlwaysSmiling!

I think going to AA meetings and spending time here at SoberRecovery will be very helpful to your sobriety. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!

Two or three days is still very early in recovery from the large amounts you were drinking. Is there anyone with you who could help in an emergency?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome to SoberRecovery, AlwaysSmiling!

I think going to AA meetings and spending time here at SoberRecovery will be very helpful to your sobriety. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!

Three days is still very early in recovery from the large amounts you were drinking. Is there anyone with you who could help in an emergency?
If I'm not working, I'm home with my wife, there is only 2-3 hours when I'm alone, but I'm not afraid to call an ambulance or get my ass to the er if i start feeling "off". I've actually been cruising the forum for about an hour now, seems like a great spot. Everything I've read seems to dictate 5-48 hours being the most dangerous, so I'm staying optimistic.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5831638

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5832284

Also, you'll probably see posts by Dee74, a moderator here. This is his story:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great pages, thanks for the links!!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you found your way here. It is a very active board and there are people here that will support you most anytime of the day or night.

Stay safe during your withdrawal period. Don't hesitate to call for help if you have a problem.

Sounds like you are really uncertain about quitting. I just want to encourage you to seriously consider that. From your description it sounds like you have, or are well on the way to having, a serious problem with alcohol.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, AlwaysSmiling!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome.

What brought me here, my second dui i guess...... received while parked.

That doesn't matter. I know a guy whose car broke down, and while he was sitting there waiting for the wrecker, decided he might as well open the bottle he had. Then a cop drove up to see if he needed any help. It didn't matter that his car wouldn't run, he went to jail on a DUI.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
I don't know if I'm done done, done for a while, I'm not sure right now...
I hope you can accept done, done. It will be harder when the drinking progresses and you are in your 40s and 50s. And yes, the drinking will progress. The amount you were drinking, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

You'll probably think you can moderate, think you probably haven't given it a fair shot. You will hear stuff in AA that you'll think doesn't apply to you. All I can say is , "Doesn't apply YET."

Quit now while the worse that has happened was a DUI.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Welcome.

What brought me here, my second dui i guess...... received while parked.

That doesn't matter. I know a guy whose car broke down, and while he was sitting there waiting for the wrecker, decided he might as well open the bottle he had. Then a cop drove up to see if he needed any help. It didn't matter that his car wouldn't run, he went to jail on a DUI.
The strange this about that is, my lawyer straight out asked me if i had beer in the car as a defense.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneIsTooMuch View Post
I am glad you found your way here. It is a very active board and there are people here that will support you most anytime of the day or night.

Stay safe during your withdrawal period. Don't hesitate to call for help if you have a problem.

Sounds like you are really uncertain about quitting. I just want to encourage you to seriously consider that. From your description it sounds like you have, or are well on the way to having, a serious problem with alcohol.
I am uncertain, mostly because beer tastes good(general census im sure), it was never about getting drunk for me. My intake has always been over the course of 8-12 hours(yes i realize that doesn't matter).

As far as withdrawl, my last drink was monday or tuesday, and ive mostly had anxiety from researchingwhat "could happen"...... that being said, so far so good.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and best of luck.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here.
Jonathan