Notices

Seeking Advice on My Relocation Goal

Old 03-02-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Seeking Advice on My Relocation Goal

Hi, all. First of all, I'm not looking for advice on whether to relocate. But I'm very interested in hearing ideas on how to research and plan a relocation in the next 12 to 18 months.

This is not off-topic because relocation is one of my recovery goals.

I'm considering the Atlanta, GA area but it's still open. I'd like to relocate to improve my business and social prospects, while enjoying milder weather and lower state income taxes.

I've moved before, but it's always been driven by someone or something else. This time, it's about ME.

So, where do I start?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think there's any substitute for spending time in a place you're strongly considering...and you might want to choose the worst time of year, weather-wise, because then you've seen it at its worst.

Have you googled any of those "best places to retire" articles? They are often pretty good at identifying places with lower cost of living, good recreation, and good health care. Another possibility is to spend a day with a realtor in a place you're considering. The good ones will be honest with you about the places you're considering in terms of the trade-offs, which every place has.

We're going through this process ourselves, but in our case, we're looking to return to a place we lived early on in our marriage, the Pacific Northwest. I'm going back there for a few days just to hang out because I know it's changed.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I don't think there's any substitute for spending time in a place you're strongly considering...and you might want to choose the worst time of year, weather-wise, because then you've seen it at its worst.

Have you googled any of those "best places to retire" articles? They are often pretty good at identifying places with lower cost of living, good recreation, and good health care. Another possibility is to spend a day with a realtor in a place you're considering. The good ones will be honest with you about the places you're considering in terms of the trade-offs, which every place has.

We're going through this process ourselves, but in our case, we're looking to return to a place we lived early on in our marriage, the Pacific Northwest. I'm going back there for a few days just to hang out because I know it's changed.
Thanks! And as a matter of fact, I AM a realtor, so I can do some excellent research! I was in Atlanta from January 11 - 20 during treatment. I met more like-minded people there in 10 days than I have in the previous 20 years here in Syracuse! :-)

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful. Hope you enjoy your visit and find it better than ever!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, other than maybe heading down there in the heat of summer, maybe you have your answer?

Me, I can't deal with heat at all, let alone with humidity, even with AC. But everyone is different.

Of course, it helps that we're having an easy winter so far. If you'd offered me a one-way ticket to the Equator last year at this time, when we had 100+ inches of snow on the ground and more on the way, I would have taken you up on it!

Hope it all works out great for you and you can fling your parka, boots, and ice scrapers out the window as you drive south!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd approach it the same as any major life change/goal:

1. Figure out the reasons WHY you want to relocate. Actually write down a list if you have to - you've already listed some here ( Climate, economic benefits, etc ).

2. Research different regions that meet the criteria you've identified in #1. You can of course find out lots of things on the internet, but look for local chamber of commerce/welcome wagon resources in the areas you narrow it down to as well. And as mentioned by someone else, making a visit is almost a necessity when you get down to your final choices.

3. Remember that there are a lot of issues/problems that we have in our lives that moving will not solve. Yes a "fresh start" is sometimes just what we need, but don't set your expectations too high that the move in itself will somehow magically solve all of your problems.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

While everyone has problems, mine are minimal. And none requires running away from home.

I've lived in a cold, economically depressed area for 20 years, have no ties here, and have a "portable" career. The time is perfect for considering a move. :-)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

in matters like these weigh it up if it's worth it do what feels right
Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Again, I'm not seeking advice whether to relocate. Seeking ideas and experiences about how to go about it.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My advice is to relocate if that's what you want to do.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ha, ha, made ya look. The point is, you can't control how others respond to your posts. If their responses don't conform to your expectations, skip them and move on.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

10 years ago i moved from florida to PA. originally i was going to move to VA. I checked out the area really liked it. In my case I was going to just sell my house and rent something till i could decide what to buy and my income requirements where flexible because I could find something to live in for less etc.. I ended up in PA becuase I have family this way and I like this area as well.

It was not that big of a deal. I really loved it it was like an adventure and I got to restart etc..

I'd honestly relocate again soon but the logistics of it are more complicated for me now. But i'd like to go through it again and theres some other places i'd like to try living.

I think my gripe with moving is to be honest theres quite a few places I'd like to live at just to see what its like and expierience it. Theres not enough time and money to move like that tho lol.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Ha, ha, made ya look. The point is, you can't control how others respond to your posts. If their responses don't conform to your expectations, skip them and move on.
You did make me look, you trickster! :-)

Naw, I'm gonna try a couple times to reiterate the question for clarity. Not gonna make it my life's project, but it's worth a few tries. Otherwise the topic gets changed.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Atlanta can be a bear. I lived there once.

I recommend spending a day or two there in 5 o'clock traffic.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OK, so to respond to your topic pertinently: you might look at one of those "quality of life index" lists to gain a very rough idea, although when I've looked at those lists, I found I didn't actually want to live in any of the cities listed.

Sounds like you're already going about this in the right way: defining your priorities and then gathering information.

I'm from the L.A. area, but I don't like it there much. I'm partial to the Pacific Northwest, although the traffic in the whole greater Seattle metro region would cross that area off my list.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Thanks everyone. Again, I'm not seeking advice whether to relocate. Seeking ideas and experiences about how to go about it.
I think deciding where you want to move should be the first step. What are the top 3 things you are looking for in a new location? You mentioned warmer climate so that narrows it down. You mentioned lower state income taxes - that can be found pretty easily via google. Keep in mind though that just because the state income taxes are lower, other things may be higher - like insurance, housing costs, etc.

What other things are you looking for - urban vs. rural? What kind of things do you want to have access to culturally/comercially? What do you want to do for a job?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think deciding where you want to move should be the first step. What are the top 3 things you are looking for in a new location? You mentioned warmer climate so that narrows it down. You mentioned lower state income taxes - that can be found pretty easily via google. Keep in mind though that just because the state income taxes are lower, other things may be higher - like insurance, housing costs, etc.

What other things are you looking for - urban vs. rural? What kind of things do you want to have access to culturally/comercially? What do you want to do for a job?

YEP the taxes are a kicker. FL had no state income tax PA has it. FL my property taxes would have been higher but in PA they are lower. But in FL my property taxes covered more things then they do in PA so in PA i got to pay for things like garbage pickup where as in florida I did not. In florida 911 and ambulance and fire etc.. was in your taxes. Here you can buy into it or well pay the bill for the ambulance ride along with a tax to keep 911 going. Then there are a lot of other little nickle and dime taxes.

I can get food cheaper in PA and other things etc..

Point is theres a lot of diff pro's and con's I guess gotta figure out what spot has most of the stuff you like.

I'd imagine tho NY state is a bit higher in taxes ?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
10 years ago i moved from florida to PA. originally i was going to move to VA. I checked out the area really liked it. In my case I was going to just sell my house and rent something till i could decide what to buy and my income requirements where flexible because I could find something to live in for less etc.. I ended up in PA becuase I have family this way and I like this area as well.

It was not that big of a deal. I really loved it it was like an adventure and I got to restart etc..

I'd honestly relocate again soon but the logistics of it are more complicated for me now. But i'd like to go through it again and theres some other places i'd like to try living.

I think my gripe with moving is to be honest theres quite a few places I'd like to live at just to see what its like and expierience it. Theres not enough time and money to move like that tho lol.
You need an RV, to see the country!!! (I kinda like this idea myself. But that's another goal for another chapter of life, I suppose.)
Old 03-02-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Sober,

I think it all depends on your priorities and what you want in a place to live. If you don't mind switching time zones, and if you can handle the summer heat (which is admittedly a big "if"), and with a "portable" career, I can recommend the Phoenix, AZ area. Pretty low cost of living, reasonable housing prices, plentiful opportunities for outdoor activities, a lot of people here are originally from somewhere else, and the weather is generally sunny and beautiful from October to May.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I moved from UK to France so I understand where you are coming from in terms of "planning". One tip I would give you is to fully anticipate and budget for ALL of the costs involved in a relocation including a budget for the unforseen.
I did not do that very well and all the additional and unexpected expenses made what should have been a happy time a very stressful time.
Also I don't know what it is like in the US but if it is anything like it is here you need to plan well ahead of time with the service providers.. banks, utilities etc to make sure everything is up and running when you arrive.

One of the things that strikes me is that you are lucky in the fact that you have a "mobile profession", and you do not have any ties that will prevent you from moving on. So you have everything to gain as this is clearly one of your goals , and very little to lose.

I assume you would rent initially until you are well settled?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Atlanta can be a bear. I lived there once.

I recommend spending a day or two there in 5 o'clock traffic.

Good luck to you!
Heed this understatement.
THE worst.

Carolina's / Ocean - diversity, breezy..........nice