Old 03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Heed this understatement.
THE worst.

Carolina's / Ocean - diversity, breezy..........nice
Especially breezy during hurricanes!

Just sayin as someone who's lived through several in my 40+ years in NC. I traveled extensively nationwide for several years during my career and worked in both urban and rural areas of the country. It always seemed to come down to the people I met that left the biggest impression on me at the end of the day.

I spent an entire summer in Bothell (just north of Seattle) working for a start up company and it was beautiful. I think it only rained one day out of the entire 3 months I was there and the temps were in the mid 70's with no humidity. It didn't get dark until almost 10PM which gave me lots of time to explore the area after work. I made a 3 week visit later that winter and it was cold, it rained every day and it was dark by 4PM, LOL.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Especially breezy during hurricanes!

Just sayin as someone who's lived through several in my 40+ years in NC. I traveled extensively nationwide for several years during my career and worked in both urban and rural areas of the country. It always seemed to come down to the people I met that left the biggest impression on me at the end of the day.

I spent an entire summer in Bothell (just north of Seattle) working for a start up company and it was beautiful. I think it only rained one day out of the entire 3 months I was there and the temps were in the mid 70's with no humidity. It didn't get dark until almost 10PM which gave me lots of time to explore the area after work. I made a 3 week visit later that winter and it was cold, it rained every day and it was dark by 4PM, LOL.
I too have traveled extensively for many years to most major cities. I currently reside in the great New Orleans since early 90's. When dat win come, duck!

Today I attract and find like minded folk everywhere - it is part of who we are = seekers.

The ATL ain't for me.......maybe to ride out a hurricane, but dat's dat. Murderous traffic...........
Old 03-02-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me, a top Metric is the U.S. Statistical Abstract. Incomes. Education Levels. Crime Stats. Almost unlimited Data from which a creative Person can deduce an amazing number of Insights.

- 2012 Statistical Abstract -

~1/2 down the Webpage linked below, on the left side, you can view Weather History. See what a Town/Area was like in any Month. Any Town selected nearby that has a Commercial Airport is going to have logged very precise Data to keep Pilots informed.

- Weather Underground -

Given your Profession, County Tax Roles online and good ole Zillow will provide Housing overview.

Zoom down to 'Street View' on Google Earth and do some Neighborhood drive-bys. Check out what shape the House Lawns are in, and what Cars are around.

I went to 18 Countries and boocoo States for High Tech Travel. Colorado is it for me. We booked outta Boulder to W. Colorado last July after selling our City House there for $40,000 over Asking. Property Taxes on 80 Acres of Mesa-top here with a Solar Home + large Out Buildings are ~1/3rd that of Boulder County. No Water or Sewer Bills. Well & Septic. Cheaper Electricity here, too, as is Food.

Consider picking ~3 areas. Then, read the local Newspapers on line to see what Regional Issues are going down. Watch a tad of Local TV News on line - deducting the one-upmanship hype endemic to Broadcasting - just to see which Stories make the Nightly News.

Crime Injury/Death and/or Disease Stats are at the CDC Webite. They provide Insight into level of Health Care, and Population 'Fitness'. Where we are is very low Crime, due to everyone being 'Old School' Rural Polite, and Armed. That's a Statistical Statement not intended as a Political Statement.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you are a realtor, why not choose a hot real estate market? Charleston, SC or Austin, TX or somewhere else with a growing economy?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

City-Data.com - the forum section - can be very helpful.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Well now, I'd personally like it if you would kindly find a piece of land in a place that's tolerant of "alternative" sorts. And that has access to water and electricity. If it could be in an area where one could farm and raise chickens if one was so inclined, that would be nice too. Perhaps in an area that backs up to let's say The Appalachian Trail?

If you did that, I could come join you and start my tiny house community!
But that's just me.

If you're not going for that, then listen to the wiser voices here.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Whew, lots of good advice here but it seems overwhelming! I too, would like to relocate, but I don't know where yet. I had thought about moving to Nashville, Tennessee where my good friend recently moved, but I just started a new job so I don't know what to do. I thought about obtaining my real estate license myself, which would definitely open things up a bit more in terms of finding work. If you get a real estate license in your current location and then relocate, how does that work?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I assume you would rent initially until you are well settled?
Actually, I'd purchase a multi-unit rental property and live in one of the units. (I'm an investor. I love rent...RECEIVING it, not PAYING it.)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thanks for all these amazing insights and ideas. I've been sitting here for about an hour using them to get going with some online research!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
now's the time

I also have a location flexible job, and I move a lot as a result. I've found these to be big factors:

- density and car use. I need to be someplace pedestrian based to be happy, where there's a lot of foot traffic and where I interact with other people on the street or on transit. Completely opposite from me, I've met people who hate not being able to drive a car door to door and find transit very stressful. This is one of the biggies, I think.

- social fabric and its impact on the social scene. A city like San Diego, say, is very friend-group-based -- casual, barbecues, etc. A city like NYC is someplace you can find more things to do alone -- events, cultural institutions. How well integrated do you have to be to have a life, and how easy is it to integrate? There are positives and negatives to each, and the adjustment period is very different.

-finding a neighborhood that appeals is important. Sometimes you can really like a place but not find anywhere you actually want to live.

-factoring in an equal amount of stuff-you-want-different and things-that-won't-change. I've tried, for example, TWICE to live in small towns by the sea ('cause it sounds so wonderful, right?). I picture how I'll swim all the time and go running and be this great happy natural earth mother etc. But I just get bored (and because this was before, drink too much) because I'm really not that person. I like cities and I do better in them. San Francisco was a good compromise for me because I had a lot of access to the outdoors. I did start camping and hiking a lot more, but I was also in my comfort zone most of the time. So it pushed me in that direction without expecting myself to be someone new.

- who you know there already. This is huge. Those people are the seeds of the rest of your social life. If I had one good friend with cool hobbies in an OK city, or 10 ok friends who like hanging around in a really cool city, I'd go with the one good friend in the OK city. Because that's the doorway to your next batch of connections.

Once you get there, it's really about saying Yes all the time. Exploring as much as you can, saying yes to all the invitations, signing up for things even if you're not usually a joiner. I think anywhere can be home very quickly if you go in with that mindset. And you seem like a person who definitely will!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If I had your portability I'd head for the Charleston/Savannah/Hilton Head area.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think trach has a good idea--very pretty there and lots of expansion.
I know Atlanta has incredible growth, but that's been going on for a pretty long time--

How does portability work for you since it will be new area so how do you
"learn" the local stuff you need to be effective?
That's something you could be starting early if you are set on only Atlanta. . ..
Old 04-01-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I lived in Atlanta ALL my life and I LOVED it! Unfortunately, me and the hubby ran away from home about a year ago and moved to South Carolina. Now, we have decided to move back home. Here's why... there is plenty to do, plenty of like-minded people all over, great food, variety of places to worship and you can always live outside the city and still have access to shopping, dining etc. Now, the downside is many people who move to Atlanta don't consider traffic when they choose a place to live. So if you move there, choose wisely to avoid traffic nightmares. ( I have never had traffic to and from work). Best wishes to you no matter where you relocate.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Well now, I'd personally like it if you would kindly find a piece of land in a place that's tolerant of "alternative" sorts. And that has access to water and electricity. If it could be in an area where one could farm and raise chickens if one was so inclined, that would be nice too. Perhaps in an area that backs up to let's say The Appalachian Trail?

If you did that, I could come join you and start my tiny house community!
But that's just me.
That's me, too. We've talked about a commune before, right?