Notices

How to stay sober?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

My relapse was partially due to the stress of my job and my inability to handle it, so I spent the last 4 1/2 years of my career drinking. I was finally able to stop drinking about a month and a half after I retired, but not just because I left the job. The drinking was getting to the point where it was too painful to continue and I just knew that retirement and alcohol were a very bad mix.

My favourite jobs were when I worked for a plant nursery and when I was cutting grass. If I'd stayed in a job like that instead of ending up with a desk job, I expect I would still be working. The desk job was a creative position, but came with a lot of deadlines and pressure, which I did not feel suited for.

The point is, good for you for making a stand like that and refusing to tolerate a miserable situation. I had often wished I had the guts to just walk away, but I felt handcuffed by the good wages and benefits I had. You can now make a life for yourself that is more rewarding and satisfying for you. Life is way too short to spend it miserable.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oh, I love that Hawk. That is just awesome.

Thanks guys. I am rebooting a bit here. Then I'll find another thing I can do.

It seems people are a little crazier each day. I mean now we have a culture created by social media where folks feel absolutely entitled to judge things all day long, down to the last nuance of any human interaction. With the "likes" and everything on FB and review sites elsewhere, I think it rather encourages a petty nature.

I plan on going back to the Zen temple I was doing group meditations at. I just can't lose one more second of my life to ungrateful people who are unacquainted with the word "appreciation". I have a lot to give and I am unwilling to waste it on those to whom it would be nothing more than an embellishment, dismissed, to their already overly rich lives. I am kicking around some ideas.

After getting sober and going through so much to get here, I just get panicked thinking how much of life I simply slogged through, one unbearable day after another- drinking all the while to cope. Those were days wasted, precious life simply wasted trying to be that square peg in a round hole. That's not what life is for. After over 12 years of daily inebriation, being half there at best, yes enjoying myself at times but not fully living... no. I won't do that again.

Loving, feeling, creating, sharing, learning, I want to be awake for every last second I have in this sad, odd life I've been thrust into. Not zombified, role playing for 40 hours a week in a part that is uninspiring and dulling.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Truly inspired, sleepie. Inspired and inspiring.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you Trach
Old 03-03-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
zjw

having a zen temple near by seems pretty cool
Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

There are a number of them here! Including the ones that are... culturally specific? We have a quite a few. I shopped around years ago and tried several. The group thing helps so much to stay a little more concentrated. Once a week then at home in addition. Having the group to look forward to helps in the long term. I was able to call the Dr who does the benzo group too. I want to go back so that I get more info on dealing with anxieties without benzos and also to tell people going through withdrawals that it can be done.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, Sleepie?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Stormi, I am well thanks for asking. It was a nice day here and my bf and I went for a drive after going to an appointment. Then, I saw a friend and had a short walk. How are you?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I am well, thanks. You sound great!
Keep on doing what you are doing, it looks awesome on you!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thank you Stormi