Notices

Men & Women

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Men & Women

I've been going to AA for about two months now. I'm surprised at the vast majority of men who go versus women. I'm not a big statistics buff, Armet more prone to alcoholism than women?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think so. I think there is still a huge stigma attached to female alcoholics. We are wives and mothers...we are not supposed to be fall down drunks. There's a lot of shame attached to female alcoholism.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I did a quick search and many articles say men are twice as likely to be alcoholics. Here is one source:

Why men are twice as likely to become alcoholics - drinking sparks more pleasure in male brains

Read more: Why men are twice as likely to become alcoholics - drinking sparks more pleasure in male brains | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And women do more damage to themselves:

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...womensfact.htm
Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In my home town it is the unintended consequence of womens groups. They seem to soak up the women and many of their members do not participate in mainstream AA. This leaves the mainstream groups sometimes with no women at all, which gives a very misleading impression to women newcomers.

While I agree with Sugarbear 's research, we should have 30 % women, in the mainstream 15% would probably be optimistic.

It is very sad if women do more damage to themselves. They need AA more but may turn up and conclude AA is not for women.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's a lot more important that you are going to meetings and seeking help vs. the statistics of who else is there at the meeting.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My group is generally 50 - 66% women, which I found surprising. And all the groups I go to regularly tend to have a lot of ladies . At least equal numbers usually.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

There are more than double the number of men than women in my IOP group. I've wondered the same thing.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Much more men at all the meetings I attend. I have been the only lady many times. Fine with me either way, but I made the same observation.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
My group is generally 50 - 66% women, which I found surprising. And all the groups I go to regularly tend to have a lot of ladies . At least equal numbers usually.
My home group, a small big book study meeting, is like that. It is so much better when the women are with us.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timmy1028 View Post
I've been going to AA for about two months now. I'm surprised at the vast majority of men who go versus women. I'm not a big statistics buff, Armet more prone to alcoholism than women?
Actually my home group -- The 9:15AM Lakeside Jump Start Meeting
has more Ladies than men.

But, I think you to be correct -- all in all there seem to be a (few) more men in AA than Ladies.

M-Bob
Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Men are more likely to seek help for it due to the stigma. plus a lot of woman seek out woman's meetings or dont do aa at all. In my area a lot of woman do woman for sobreity instead of aa.