Notices

When will I start to feel better???

Old 02-28-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I start to feel better???

When I first stopped drinking a few weeks ago I had a couple weeks of energy and I felt happy (I had been working out A LOT to keep myself busy and trying to be healthy again). Now that some time has passed I feel like that initial happiness has been replaced by extreme anxiety. I feel like crying for no reason. Is this normal? When can I expect to start feeling better? I know the stress and anxiety are from me not drinking, not from things going on in my life.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS). It's tough, but if you read about you will understand what is actually happening. At first it'll seem like you are miserable for 2 weeks straight... have a couple days of feeling good and then feel bad again. The further you get away from the last drink/drug those days become few and far between, but they do still happen. The good news is that it always only temporary and as long as you get through it... it gets easier.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Early sobriety can be an emotional roller coaster, ryry. It takes time (differing amounts of time for everyone) but your moods and emotions will eventually normalize.

Keeping yourself busy seems to help, as does being gentle with yourself. Your body, mind and spirit and going through a major adjustments and those systems are trying to heal.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing GREAT in your sobriety!! You rock! Many people experience PAWS after quitting. I also want to say that it is completely ok to feel anxious or sad sometimes. These are true emotions that make us human, not robots. You may not have things going on in your life that you believe should cause that level of anxiety, but that doesn't mean you are a robot that has 100% happy times with high energy levels. Be kind to yourself and you will feel better.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ryry, I went through the same thing. I was very happy & thankful to be sober, but also quite fragile in the early weeks and months. I felt a bit sorry for myself, a little scared - but all those emotions changed as I healed. Congrats on your sober time - things are going to get better. I hope posting here helps. You're never alone.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Getting sober is a HUGE physiological change. We're not even fully detoxed for a couple of weeks after our last drink, so lots of people feel a funk at your point.

Just know that it is temporary. Do the normal stuff that helps with mood regulation (go easy on the sugar and the caffeine, etc.). Keep a regular sleep/wake schedule, get some exercise even if it's just a walk, and also some sunlight exposure. If you're in the bleak Northeast, you might hit a tanning salon for a session or two -- it truly does lift the mood.

Nutrition also plays a role, so take care of yourself in that regard. And again, remember that this gets better. (Unlike a drinking career, which only gets worse and worse.)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryry77 View Post

I feel like crying for no reason. Is this normal? When can I expect to start feeling better?
Best not to have high expectations for the first few months.
Remember, everything is recovering - mind, soul and body.
Some sooner, some slower.
MB
Old 02-28-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's really hard in the beginning with the mental cravings, just remind yourself it will get better. Only if you hold on though, don't give in, it does take several months for most to feel better.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I figured I drank for many years, and recovery was going to take more than a few months.

It did, but I slowly got better and better as my brain healed and I learned
how to cope with sober life and not duck into a bottle instead of dealing with
difficult situations.

So for me, it was a combination of physical and mental recovery.
I was also very fragile for the first 6 months-year but had many excellent
weeks and some that were tough.

After the first 11/2 years, I was very stable for the most part.
Your mileage may vary
Congrats on getting sober!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A few weeks sober is still pretty early on. Early recovery can be a bumpy ride for a while. Your brain and body are getting used to normal functioning and it takes time to adjust.

Go easy on yourself, good food, rest, and some exercise.

It will get better.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I began to feel better immediately I began trying to help others. I remember my first experience of this like it was yesterday. My sponsor made a simple request: As I had the use of a car, could I take a newcomer (I had only been sober a few days myself) to a meeting. I picked up the maddest woman I have ever met, took her to the meeting, and dropped her back home. I don't know what ever happened to her.

But I know what happened to me. I had this amazing feeling inside. For the first time in my life I had done something useful for someone else without any expectation, just for free and for fun. I like that feeling
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

The first three months were pretty tough on me. But I'm at seven and a half months now, and I feel very steady. I find a lot of joy on a daily basis, just in my normal interactions with people. And really crucially, I've had a really big emotional month or two and I'm doing ok. I can't remember ever handling hard feelings with such a steady hand.

I also had the big energy burst at the beginning and then kind of a let down. One thing to do is see your doctor... I wish I had sooner. You might have nutritional issues or other things left over from the drinking that could be affecting your energy and mood.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a basket case early on. I am 6' and 200 lbs. and would cry like a baby for almost no reason. It goes. Bless!