Notices

Bored and Lonely

Old 02-26-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored and Lonely

I'm about five days away from my last drink, and while its been surprisingly easy so far, the boredom and loneliness has finally hit me.

I have no friends, and the next available meet up that I might be interested in doesn't take place until the 24th. I've also tried volunteering, but I always end up being given make-work jobs that don't actually help anybody.

I also have no girlfriend, though this last year I had 5 first dates, which I guess is better than 0 dates I had in the years before.

I just feel like I stand no chance of getting friends or meeting a woman to fall in love with and its stings. Before, i used to drink in order to fill this gigantic hole in my life, but now I spend my days sleeping or taking long, boring walks.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dismas

My old life revolved around alcohol, so I needed a new life in recovery.

New lives take time to build tho.

My old drinking life was boring...so boring I needed drinking to make it tolerable.

Your new life can be whatever you want it to be. The only limit really is your imagination

I did a lot of service work in my early recovery volunteering and helping others, I reconnected with old friends who didn't drink, or were not habitual drinkers, I took up old hobbies again and started new ones.

There's a list here of things to do that might help spark something for you?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five days sober is a great start, but it takes time to make a new life.

I hope you can find something that interests you to spend your time on.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your addiction is pulling its levers--lonely and bored--to get you to drink.

Boredom is a state of mind, not a feeling. Change it.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Reach out and get active in something -- anything. It doesn't need to be fascinating. You just need to stay busy right now. Say NO to the boredom and get out there.

Of course life is a bit dry right now. This is the life you built while drinking. It took you a while to build it. Now you need a different life and that's going to take while to build as well.

Be patient, but don't expect it to magically drop out of the sky while you're sitting around bored. You'll have to put forth some effort to make it happen. Be patient and be persistent in making those efforts. And in the meantime, do whatever you have to do to stay away from alcohol.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dismas View Post
I've also tried volunteering, but I always end up being given make-work jobs that don't actually help anybody.
I volunteered during my first year and a half of sobriety and it felt a bit stilted and awkward, but the alternative of doing nothing was worse. I'm sure that in volunteering, even in made-up jobs and work as you say, you're still doing good for someone (and for yourself).

Many times I felt like turning my car around as I pulled into that parking lot. I didn't though. I showed up and did my job.

It helped to build my self-esteem. It helped to talk with others. I also have a few references now.

Keep doing it, even if it feels mechanical. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Boredom is a state of mind, not a feeling. Change it."

Gold.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Early on I mistook peace and serenity for boredom. I really didn't know what it was like to just sit with myself in quiet and just BE.