Notices

insomnia

Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

insomnia

02:30 here in Spain and I've somehow made it to Day 17
I actually bought a bottle of wine but managed to chuck it in a cupboard and not open it. Will have to get rid of it in the morning. I'm past danger for tonight but every day is a struggle. It's like a dark force always on my shoulder whispering temptations - I can manage not to think about it for a while but it's never forgotten - and every evening I brace myself for another mental wrestling
I'm going back to the UK on 14th. I have no job to go to and nowhere to stay and about 13G of debt to manage but hey I'm not drinking. My plan is to buy a cheap car and sleep in a multi storey at night and park up at local libraries and Macdonalds during the days where I can study and look for another contract
no wonder I can't sleep
sober now and reality hitting me hard - my life is a mess.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can I make a suggestion? Ditch the wine NOW while you don't have the desire to drink it.

Sleep is hard at the beginning. I remember I felt like a locomotive was rushing through my head at all times. Try some deep breathing. Turn out the lights and if you have a fan, run that for white noise.

Do you have family who might let you crash with them? Sleeping in your car doesn't sound like a solid plan. A hostel? Friends?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

17 days sober is a great start. Your life may be a mess, but sober, you have a chance to straighten it out.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear from you...good job on staying sober!

I second the motion to dump that wine right now or just walk out in the street and leave it in a doorway or anything that makes it much harder to get.

Insomnia is unfortunately part of the deal, but I started sleeping infinitely better after a few weeks. It's an endurance game.

Is your contract over in Spain or are you leaving for another reason?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have insomnia, even after five years sober. I've just learned to accept it and go with the flow.
And, drinking, my life was a mess, too. I lived like that for a long time.
Sober, I can deal with things that used to baffle me. It took awhile and a lot of work, but things are manageable now. No matter how serious.

Just don't take that first drink, and thing will resolve themselves. And, wouldn't you rather deal with them sober? Rather than drunk or hungover?
You can do it. Oh, and throw that wine away.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took a while but my sleep returned to a normal pattern. The stress you're likely under may not be helping. Debt is a problem but it is going to get worse if you're buying alcohol.
Congrats on almost 2 weeks!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent job on day 17

Good job dumping the wine