Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can alcohol cause GI Issues? Anyone here experienced it?

Notices

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I experience discomfort in my gut on pretty much a daily basis as well as (and sorry to be gross here) bloating, flatulance, belching and feeling full or tight especially after eating. My stools usually come out broken into smaller bits and my BM feels incomplete like I haven't pushed it all out. I don't experience any pain, just discomfort. I'll sometimes get relief when I go to the toilet but often I feel the need to go again not long after, sort of queezy. Most often it's not an urgent feeling, just annoying.

I think it might be related to my drinking problem, but I suspect it could also be my antidepressants. I started taking Citalopram around the time I started drinking more heavily. Then I took it on and off for a while before I finally switched to a new medication a few weeks ago. If alcohol was causing the GI issues, Citalopram certainly wasn't helping, it just gave me more discomfort. I'm on lexpro now, and between changing meds I also wasn't drinking...that brief period was probably the most "calm" my tummy had felt in a long time. Alas the problem still persists.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post before bed ..haha.. oH yeah...I had poop issues while still drinking. When I ate, I pretty much needed to be by a restroom. This interfered with my life because I was embarrassed. So, I'd tell my husband I didn't feel like going out to dinner. Road trips? No food. Etc etc.

Since becoming sober I have not had one issue in the poop area of my life! Seriously, that was and is a freeing experience. I used to always have immodium in my purse, hoping that enough pills would stop the problem. Total abstinence from alcohol works for me.
Good Luck,
Bobbi
Old 02-23-2016, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, just wanted to add that I have been taking Paxil for over a decade. I, too, used to say that's why! Nope. I'm still on my Paxil and free from all discomfort and such...
Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jaseinspace
Old 02-23-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not as doctor - but honestly I'd put the blame on alcohol.

I had massive digestive issues for years.

Things have never been better since I quit drinking.

Why not give it a go?

D
Old 02-24-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I had the symptoms you described and plenty more as I kept drinking.
It all cleared up when I stopped drinking, but came back
when I'd "moderate".

Now that I don't drink, my digestion and GI health is excellent
Yet another good reason to stop. . .
Old 02-24-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Oh yeah, digestive issues were but one side effect of my drinking. Once I stopped, those issues cleared up fairly quickly.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah!
Totally screw up your gut!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol directly affects digestion. It interferes with digestive enzymes, disallows your body to absorb nutrients from food, interferes with the function of digestive organs... Other than affecting your heart, liver, and brain, that's the other system it messes up.
With those ill effects laid out on the table, drinking really isn't doing us any favors. I'm over a year sober and started noticing improvements in that regard within a month.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Does it ever! I've been sober going on 11 months now and I don't have anything even close to the constant digestive issues I had when I drank.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I had a slip a number of years ago, one of the first things I noticed the next day (aside from the radically increased depression, anxiety, and emotional fragility) was the gas and bloating. It probably causes dysbiosis -- an imbalance of the flora and fauna and good bacteria that inhabit the gut. Google around for "gut microbiome" for more info.
--YA
Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Definitely - Alcohol abuse can cause many, many issues. Best to see a doctor though because there can be many other causes of GI issues. I dealt with bad GI problems during my drinking career too.

Once I stepped back from my addiction though I realized how far in denial I was about the damage drinking was doing to my body and mind. I was pouring poison into my body in mass quantity every single day...of course it was going to cause problems. Sort of like hitting hitting yourself in the head with a hammer every day and wondering if it might "somehow" be related to having headaches.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Reflux! I had heartburn almost continually and did the rounds of $$$ medical tests and various medications, all of which made the problem worse. I quit drinking...three days later, no heartburn, none.

I'm also lactose intolerant and it has gotten worse as I've aged and I definitely noticed that alcohol made that worse, as well.

It makes sense...it's a toxic corrosive liquid we dump directly into our digestive tract. It attacks the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas...all of which are crucial to digestion.

I look back and just wish I had the money back I spent on all those meds and tests!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never had any poop problems, but did have reflux and other things that cleared up when I gave up.