Notices

In recovery vs recovered?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In recovery vs recovered?

What are the differences between the terms in recovery vs recovered?

Or is it true that once someone's an addict to a drug, alcohol, or behaviour that they're always an addict and are always in recovery?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally believe that I will always be an addict and that I will always be in "recovery". What I do every day for my recovery today is much different from what I did when I was only a week sober, but I still do something every day. And I would imagine I will still be doing something every day 20 years from now if I am still sober ( which I plan to be ! )

Why do I believe that? Because I've had some lengthy stretches of sober time and returned to drinking thinking that I was somehow better/recovered/cured. And every time I was back to daily binge drinking within a very short period of time. We see people in the recovery community right here on SR that try to go back to drinking 5/10/20 years after quitting and the same thing invariably happens.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find adherents to both schools of thought.

is it true that once someone's an addict to a drug, alcohol, or behaviour that they're always an addict and are always in recovery?
that's my personal belief yeah

D
Old 02-23-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Based on the posts I see here on SR, those who accept they are alcoholics and can never drink again seem okay with the term "in recovery."

Those that can't and think they can drink again usually say they are "recovered."
Old 02-23-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

Those that can't and think they can drink again usually say they are "recovered."
What the heck Carl. I think of my self as recovered. I know I can't safely drink. Whatever my issues are now (and I do have them) have nothing to do with booze.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This has been discussed up and down and sideways.
Seems best for one to pick the term that (honestly) works for them.
Today I call myself recovered.
For the first year or so I was in recovery? I think? Who knows for sure? Both are a positive thing..
MB
Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally partially follow the RR philosophy on this, and think it's self-limiting and ultimately self-defeating to think of yourself as forever in recovery. At some point (you decide when), you just don't drink anymore and don't even want to go there again, and you start to notice that people stuck in recovery may not be moving on in life as you may want to do yourself. I do think there's a period where you really genuinely are "in recovery", which is basically the PAWS period, but after that you get to decide what if any labels you want to wear and how much time/effort you spend in what is becoming the increasingly remote past. Just as long as you don't drink again, and are prepared to take immediate action if you feel yourself getting pulled that way for any reason.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I consider myself recovered as I know in my heart I will never drink again. I've been down that road twice now and won't go down it a third time.

I will always consider myself an alcoholic, but a recovered alcoholic who no longer drinks.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. I no longer suffer. I have freedom from alcohol in every respect. It no longer rules my life, it does not decide where I can go or what I can do.

I underwent a spiritual experience which removed the desire and need to drink completely. No matter what has happened in my life, it has not occurred to me to drink. That is what I understand recovered to mean.

The term "in recovery" could apply to the process of recovering. Somewhere between stopping drinking and getting to a point where the alcohol problem has gone. In AA we would say the process that leads to a life changing spiritual experience.

There is a school of thought that alcoholism brings with it a certain personality which we are always trying to stay on top of. Behaviour stemming from resentment, selfishness, self centredness, dishonesty etc are symptomatic of the disease "doing pushups" in the background, always ready to pounce on the unwary. This is then taken to mean we are always in "recovery" and must be constantly aware that tomorrow could be the day we pick up.

Or the term recovery could just be about life. Once the alcohol problem has been solved, we are left with life. We have rejoined the human race and are free to grow and develop spritually and emotionally. All humans do this. All humans have faults. As a recovered alcoholic, my faults are my responsibilty. If I behave like an ass, it's because I'm being an ass. The "in recovery" school would say that was my alcoholism causing me to behave that way, but I believe that is a cop out. My behaviour resembles normal human nature these days and is my responsibility, not the product of a disease.

Just to quote a very learned friend from this site:

Recovering (in recovery) = thinking about not drinking

Recovered = Not thinking about drinking.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I tried to suggest above there's no right answer for everyone.

I think threads like this work best when we simply share our experience/belief - and resist the urge to take pot shots?

D
Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Recovered from the urge to be intoxicated. Recovering from the fallout of my years of ignorance.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I consider my self to be in recovery, and I will never be recovered.

Being in recovery encourages me to keep my focus. I was once sober for 5 1/2 years, and I think I might have thought I was recovered.

So I drank again, and found out I wasn't. I don't want to ever become complacent and lose focus again.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I read a definition of insanity in regards to us alcoholics and that was - it is insane when a sober alcoholic picks up the first drink. Today I am comfortable with the thought one may recover from the insidious insanity leading to the first drink, but I am never cured of alcoholism.

Whats in your wallet???
Old 02-23-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been through the "I got this whipped" mode many times,only to wind up drunk before I knew what happened.
I have seen people in AA,and here both. Sober 5-10-even 20 years. All of a sudden drinking again.
I heard the saying in an AA meeting "when it comes to booze,our rememberers are broken. But our forgetters work very well." Nothing could be more true.
So what I am trying to say is I will always be in recovery,because I have to keep working on my rememberer,and I am only one beer away from going back to hell. No matter how long I stay sober,the one beer math does not change. And I cannot forget that. I have been remembering for almost 7 years now.
It is not difficult,but I just can't get complacent.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

For my own part (after discussion with the doctor who successfully "cured" me), I choose not to identify with the label of "addict." I gave God permission to help me solve the problem and I now happily embrace the fact that it's solved. That doesn't mean I'll be returning to booze. What kind of idiocy would that be? Since I no longer need booze, well... that means there's no reason to use it, right?

You see, I can't think of any sane reason for drinking other than addiction. I don't care for the taste, I don't like intoxication, I hate hangovers, I don't need extra calories, etc. And besides, IT'S ADDICTIVE!! Yikes, what's to like about the stuff?

The only reason I drank was that I was addicted. So now that I'm not, why ever drink again? Addiction sucks. Lord knows I'm never flirting with it again.

LOTS of people never drink without believing they have an incurable illness. I've chosen to join their healthy, happy, productive ranks. I'm a healthy person who abstains from poison in all situations, always.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Speaking from the vantage of someone new to recovery, I can see both terms as useful. I'm not sure how I might apply either or neither to myself as my recovery matures, but I'm also not sure that's a terribly important matter to me. What matters to me is the sure knowledge that I cannot drink because I am powerless over alcohol.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My sponsor says that he has recovered from his past.

Makes sense to me.

Mountainman
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Recovered means got well .
Old 02-23-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

This right answer is each to thier own this question shouldn't bother anyone as if you believe your recovered thats what you believe if you believe your in recovery that's what you believe - have faith in your belief this is no one's recovery but your own

D has posted twice now trying to diffuse any bickering my advice is take a hint
Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I try not to get caught up with semantics. The important thing for me is to move forward in sobriety.