Notices

Battles with Booze. Battles with Food!

Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Battles with Booze. Battles with Food!

Hi.
I came to this site when I quit alcohol 2 and a half years ago. Although I have been a "reader" rather than a "poster" the stories you lovely people have posted about your own struggles have helped me with mine. So thank you. I am now turning to you once again...

Like most people here I went crazy for sugar when I first gave up alcohol and also noticed an massive increase in appetite. After 2 and a half sober years I still crave sugar and carbs in ridiculous amounts. I never feel fully satisfied and I NEVER feel full no matter how much I eat.

Food never makes me "feel better" or happy and I rarely eat because I am emotional. I am totally aware of what I am about to do when I eat myself stupid. It’s become a joke with my friends because of the disgusting amounts I can eat. I am 5ft4 and weigh 132pounds…which is 7-6 pounds heavier since my drinking days but I always thought the weight would eventually drop off after my eating returned to something resembling normal. I just wanted to concentrate solely on my sobriety.

My weight is creeping up and it makes me feel slightly out of control…like I did when I was drinking but I can’t seem to stop the cravings.

I am in therapy and my therapist recently suggested that my body might still be dependent on the sugar that I used to consume in alcohol …but it has been 2 and a half years. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced these sorts of cravings so long after giving up? How did you deal with it? I feel that if I can't get it under control I may have another addiction I have to eradicate.

Also I just want to make clear I am not asking for advice for the bingeing, as I know there is a separate forum for this…although I will never turn down any advice offered! What I am really asking is if anyone else was still experiencing sugar/carb craving so long after they quit drinking.

Thanks so much and Keep Passing the Open Windows xx
Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I haven't experienced the long term cravings for sugar like you describe, but I can definitely say that my "addictive tendencies" are still with me several years into to sobriety. Sometimes they manifest themselves as OCD type activities, other times as anxiety, etc. Accepting them and working on them every day helps a lot though. I've sought some therapy too and that also helps.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you checked out information on candida...it could have something to do with massive cravings for sugar?
I had massive cravings for sugar when I quit drinking and unfortunately stacked on the weight...I am working on that now!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you had your thyroid checked?

Also, I don't know how old you are, but there are several times in our lives that our metabolisms ratchet down. Mid to late 20s and then perimenopuse are notorious. Yeehaw.

Actually, you are considered normal weight at that height...

Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Almost 5 years now...I still crave sugar and I can eat a lot, although I maintain most of my weight....due to my age, I now need exercise as things are shifting a bit (over 50 female).....

See your doctor and make sure you aren't pre-diabetic or have any thyroid issues!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to message me with all your helpful insights.

There are definitely a few things that I hadn't considered that are worth investigating.

I am not great with Dr's but I think I may have to make them my next port of call.

Again thank you xx
Keep Passing the Open Windows.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

for what its worth im a carb junkie. I also can eat rediculous amts of carbs and not gain a thing. Contrary to popular belief Carbs do not make you fat. I dunno what all you eat but i eat nothing but fruits veggies and grains and low fat. I eat so much sugar basicly. The body loves to run this way. and i run like crazy etc..

So i dunno I see no issue eating 5-6000 calories a day from High Carb Low fat Vegan sources. But thats just me.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sugar Jones perpetuates itself. I've found that cutting back is painful at first, but worth it. My cravings have died down after about a month of semi-serious sugar abstinence. Mood better. Energy better.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

You have my vote for seeing a dr that helped me so much with so many things
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
The sugar Jones perpetuates itself. I've found that cutting back is painful at first, but worth it. My cravings have died down after about a month of semi-serious sugar abstinence. Mood better. Energy better.
This is good advice. You will basically go through withdrawal - tiredness, foggy, etc. I am a sugar /carb addict like you....can eat large amounts and crave just like an alcoholic who cannot stop at one drink. I have found that eliminating sugar and carbs has helped. It's very hard though! I still fall off the wagon about every two weeks and binge. The less sugar and carbs (simple) you eat the better off you will be. Just try it for two weeks and come back and tell us how you feel. I just went on a binge for the last three days and am starting today - no sugar- healthy carbs only....join me!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also have the addiction to eating,not necessarily sugar,more savory stuff but its annoying as heck! 107L,we're about the same weight/ height so defo not overweight but I feel "fluffy" and don't like it,plus I'm afraid that if I do keep eating like I do,I will blow up,also wanted to add that it seems like I get low blood sugar often throughout the day so I eat to remedy that,I guess in the end food is just too darn good and we can't live without it so TRY to make healthier choices.....yeah right
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Windslow you're absolutely right. I don't see myself as over weight but the extra weight I am now carrying doesn't feel right. I just don't feel comfortable. Generally my food choices are pretty good... I love vegetables and tend not to eat processed or fast food BUT if i make a cake or pie I will eat the whole thing..and that's after a full on meal. I can't have certain foods in the house for my son as I will eat all of it (he had some cereal for the weekends...I ate the whole box with milk over the course of an hour and was still looking for more to eat afterwards!).

Beathany57 I may just join you! Enough is a enough I feel very out of control and I can't need as much food as I eat....certainly not in the form of sugar or crappy carbs. I don't think I am a carb hater... most things are good for you in moderation but since I am a raving (now in recovery) alcoholic I quite clearly am unable to do moderation in any form!

Again thank you so much for all your input folks...it is so much appreciated xx (keep passing the open windows)
Old 02-25-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

I just gotta make a point here not to hate on carbs guys. Eat all the sugar and carbs you want but get it from fruits and veggies beans and whole grains etc..

I'm a pig. for breakfast I had 20 dates and 3 bananas blended. for lunch I had about 10 dates and 4 bananas. I snacked on a bunch of banans in between. For dinner I'll probably have a bowl of lentils and a smoothie with another 20 dates and a pile of kale.

Thats a LOT OF sugar. i've done the math on a given day I'll easily eat 1200 grams of carbs and 5000+ callories.

Carbs are you friend just eat the right ones!

Ok let me put my High Carb Low Fat vegan drum away now lol.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a great topic and I'm glad you are with us.

I just count calories all day long.

I eat around 2,000 calories per day.

Lots of boiled eggs, protein bars, yogurts, etc.

If I am trying to lose a few lbs., I will try to keep my intake to ~1,600 calories a day.

I pay less attention to sugar, fat, etc. intake than I do to calories.

I like sugar a lot.

I think it's undoubtedly 1 or the 4 major food groups, along with caffeine, chocolat and pork, but that's just me.

I am (finally) thin again.

I also like to run a lot, and I do every chance I get.

So I recommend calorie counting.

My weight is one of the few things I have complete control over.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think as long as you are eating refined sugars/carbs, you will be craving them. Same with cheese and other dairy (for me atleast). They are drugs to me just like alcohol is.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had a sweet tooth since I was a kid. It's as bad as my alcohol cravings ever were, maybe worse, and probably one reason why I found it so hard to moderate alcohol. I was never really after the buzz. But in both cases, it's hard to stop once I start. Eating carbs releases serotonin which makes us feel good, one reason we crave them.

So for me, the key is to not start, or if the craving is strong, to find a way to self-limit.. ie go get an ice cream cone but don't bring a half gallon home. I also agree with zjw.. healthy carbs are great. I eat a lot of oatmeal, beans, tortillas, brown rice, wheat bread and fruits.. things like that.

The last component is to get some exercise. It not only burns calories but releases serotonin, the same thing that eating carbs does. I swim and bike at least 3-4 hours a week and walk some too, although walking doesn't do as much for me. The cardio sports really improve my mood.