SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   quit drinking very low and depressed (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/385532-quit-drinking-very-low-depressed.html)

tommyc10 02-22-2016 08:50 AM

quit drinking very low and depressed

Almost suicidal. I quit drinking a couple of days ago and feel pretty low, thoughts racing 1000mph. I've been hitting the bottle hard over the last 2 years. I felt depressed when I wasn't drinking too though! wtf?

Drinking almost every day for last 2 years. Sometimes I'd go 3 or 4 days without a drink but feel so low. It's effected my life and I've been unable to seek or hold down a relationship. My work has suffered and I've lost clients. I've become unreliable and make excuses because I'm tired and hungover. Weekends are usually spent drunk or recovering.
I put on 30lbs and used to be sporty. It's just ridiculous why I'm doing this and I feel so guilty. In a cycle.

I've decided want a fresh start. Still young at 35 and feel like my life could be so much better than this. There's loads I want to do and have plans to travel, expand my business, meet a girl etc. this year.

What can I do to come out the other side, my brain feels like exploding today?

least 02-22-2016 08:58 AM

Welcome to the family. :hug: You'll find lots of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good. :)

Be kind to yourself. Good food, rest, and moderate exercise will help. It takes a while for your brain and body to heal after getting sober. Whatever you do, don't drink! It might be rough at first but it will get better. :)

TexasWoman123 02-22-2016 09:04 AM

I felt pretty much the same way when I stopped drinking daily. The cravings were bad too. I checked myself into an intensive outpatient program, went to AA, got a sponsor and worked the steps. I'm not a religious person. You don't have to be to do AA. If you don't want to do AA, there are other options out there. Read on SR as much as you can.

I am 90 days sober today and I do it one 24 hour period at a time. The thought of never drinking again when I first got sober was terrifying. Some days I just took sobriety a minute at a time. You have to want to stop drinking and put those desires into action.

TW

tommyc10 02-22-2016 09:06 AM

thanks, feel like crying right now...i came on here and the internet to try and help somebody else in need and answer questions. That makes me feel a bit better.

tommyc10 02-22-2016 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TexasWoman123 (Post 5809784)
I felt pretty much the same way when I stopped drinking daily. The cravings were bad too. I checked myself into an intensive outpatient program, went to AA, got a sponsor and worked the steps. I'm not a religious person. You don't have to be to do AA. If you don't want to do AA, there are other options out there. Read on SR as much as you can.

I am 90 days sober today and I do it one 24 hour period at a time. The thought of never drinking again when I first got sober was terrifying. Some days I just took sobriety a minute at a time. You have to want to stop drinking and put those desires into action.

TW

the craving is really bad. Like a plant needs water.

tommyc10 02-22-2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5809770)
Welcome to the family. :hug: You'll find lots of support here. I hope we can help you get sober for good. :)

Be kind to yourself. Good food, rest, and moderate exercise will help. It takes a while for your brain and body to heal after getting sober. Whatever you do, don't drink! It might be rough at first but it will get better. :)

thank you I needed that hug! my brain is whiring.

TexasWoman123 02-22-2016 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tommyc10 (Post 5809796)
the craving is really bad. Like a plant needs water.

I remember those days. One thing that keeps me sober is not wanting to go back to the beginning and feeling that way again. It really can get better.

Dee usually comes to welcome newcomers and recommends a plan with a link. I don't have enough posts on here to post a link yet. Having a plan is key to my sobriety.

Just try to remember you are not alone.

TW.

least 02-22-2016 09:26 AM

Here's the link to making a plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Soberwolf 02-22-2016 09:35 AM

I've sent some links in a pm & there are links to help urges & cravings here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html

TexasWoman123 02-22-2016 09:41 AM

You may want to post in the Newcomers forum. You may get more help there too.
TW

Bunny211 02-22-2016 11:07 AM

My experience is this.

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

For a long time I didn't understand the dash. I thought that my life was unmanageable because of my drinking. I didn't understand, til later, that my life was unmanageable because I was alcoholic and drinking was just a symptom. My mind and my spirit were sick. To get better I needed to go to AA and work the steps....and the only purpose of the steps is to get you to have a relationship with God. This is the only thing that worked for me. Take away the booze and I'm still very sick and my life is still unmanageable.

This is my experience and going to big book step study meetings helped me change my thinking...and my life!

Hugs to you.

zlhzlh 02-22-2016 11:29 AM

You really can change your life. One day at a time.
This time last year, I was close to losing my kids hearts, my husband, their trust, my health, my life. Things are getting better. I have my self respect back and have their love back. You need to want it and you will do it. Check in here everyday for reassurance it helps so much. Keep strong buddy.

Hawkeye13 02-22-2016 12:21 PM

It really does get better--the racing mind will slow,
the paranoia will ease.
Just take good care of yourself and be patient and don't drink
and you'll be surprised how much more peaceful you will feel in a month.

SoberinSyracuse 02-22-2016 12:40 PM

It's normal to have your mood kind of screwed up after you quit drinking. Give it a long time to settle down. And in the meantime, once you feel physically okay, start to add some positive, non-alcoholic activities to your life. You know, just to get some exercise, meet some NONDRINKING people, rekindle old interests or cultivate new ones.

A big part of the plan which seems to be working really well for me is to re-engage with life, my business, and society in general. I feel great. Life without booze is better, but you have to let your brain chemistry return to normal which can take a while.

Starflyer 02-22-2016 01:52 PM

They say that time heals all wounds. Incorrect! It's what you DO with that time where you can find solace. What are you doing with your time?

zjw 02-22-2016 01:59 PM

sit tight stay sober and push forward one day at a time. no matter how bad it seems no amt of booze is going to make the situation any better.

it will ease up in time but dont worry about that just get through each day each moment one at a time.

Obladi 02-22-2016 02:25 PM

Hi tommyc.

I'm surprised no one has recommended yet that you go see your physician.
Have you been to see your physician? S/he may be able to prescribe medication to help with withdrawal as well as with your depression. Mine did and it made a world of difference.

I understand just hanging in there works, too, but no use in suffering unduly if it's not necessary.

Glad you're here with us!

Delizadee 02-22-2016 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tommyc10 (Post 5809798)
thank you I needed that hug! my brain is whiring.

Tommy I am there with you and feel your pain. I am on day 8. Mostly I don't want to drink but sometimes the cravings hit me like a brick wall out of nowhere. And the depression and anxiety is so intense.

The best way I know how to deal with it is like others have said. Try not to isolate yourself. Have you tried AA? I know my sponsor has been a real boon to me when I've needed her. Get a big book, read, read some more, work the steps, hit as many meetings as you can. Speak to a counselor. Meditate, pray or practice affirmations. Work on a recovery plan. Plan a daily maintenance list and remember to practice gratitude like writing in a gratitude journal everything big or small that you are grateful for at the end of the day.
When things seem overwhelming, close your eyes, breathe deeply. Tell yourself, "even though I have these feelings, I deeply and completely love and accept myself". Turn your feelings over- to God, your Higher Power, or positive self-affirmations. Remind yourself firmly that the only thing required of you is to stay sober today- and that with sobriety you will cultivate the tools inside and outside of you to handle whatever comes your way.

If you read some of the excerpts from "under the influence" you will see that what we're dealing with is par for the course. This too shall pass. We have to keep working our sobriety muscles until they move with ease of strength but always being careful not to slack on our upkeep. Even still sometimes the brain outruns us. Take faith however you can and let go of the things you don't have control over right now and turn your mind to the positives. Even if it feels false to us right now, eventually it will grow to come from a genuine place and bring us peace.

Throw everything you've got at it. That's what I'm doing. Hang in there my friend. Also, I highly recommend the Sober Tool app. At a finger's touch there are messages there suited to anything you are feeling. It's been a great help for me. :grouphug:

eyeshake 02-23-2016 06:59 AM

What helped me was accepting the fact that I would be very uncomfortable for a while. It's like having a terrible flu. I'm on day 50, and I'm starting to finally feel better. I was on the verge of going back to drinking a few weeks ago on account of how emotionally ravaged I felt. Now, I'm starting to recognize feelings as feelings. It's actually quite interesting to feel things again.

Dee74 02-23-2016 01:45 PM

how are you doing today tommyc10?

D