Notices

My sobriety journal.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Morning! I've woken up feeling slightly hungover, maybe I'm coming down with something or maybe my body is just out of whack. Woudn't surprise me if I caught some bug at the bowling alley, those balls are probably crawling in germs. The first thought I had when I woke up was damn I have a hangover.... and then I thought wait a minute I didn't drink! Oh well I will live.

Obladi I was talking about icing my injured foot! Haha but it's all good, the other kind of icing is much better. I like the cream cheese icing mmmmm. Whenever I order a carrot cake it's not for the cake it's for the icing.

My stupid foot is still sore. WTF? BS. I'm mad over it, it's not fair.

Today is 9 days and nothing interests me less than having a drink.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I know you were talking about icing your foot - I was just being funny. Or so I thought.

As far as the hangover feelings go, I had those too at right around the ten day mark if memory serves. Makes sense to me that the detox continues for some time and it's going to manifest itself in this way. Look at it as a good thing
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

p.s. Sorry your foot is still sore and who ever told you life is fair?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Durp. Of course you knew.... that was test, you passed!

And yeah tis true that life ain't fair. At least if I have to retire from bowling I went out the champion!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
zjw

read in a book last night we might not be able to count on each other or even ourselves but one thing we can count on is life. Life is life it is what it is. ups and downs and all etc..

Hopefully your foot will ease up as the day progresses. thats usually my case it excrutiating in the morning but then by evening i'm practically walking around like nothings wrong ::scratches head::

I hate germ magnet situations I do well at skirting illnesses but even when i skirt them i still usually get hit with a few days of fatigue which i guess is better then full blown symptoms but still.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

zjw I'm the opposite, usually my foot feels better in the morning and is killing me by the end of the day. Damn! I've been resting it all day instead of going out and about like I wanted to, I just really don't want to go through it again ya know! It was a beautiful day here and instead of doing stuff I laid on the couch and read a book all day. Oh well. I'd rather rest up today and feel better tomorrow than push it and end up hurt for months again. Hint hint

Not much else to report. No cravings or anything. I've been leafing through my RR book, reading it triggered me a little bit when he was talking about the deep pleasure of drinking. I put it down and walked away!

My bf isn't drinking right now either so it's easier for me not having to watch him drink everyday. Ultimately my decision is my own and I am responsible for my own actions, still I'd rather not have it in my face all the time. He's feeling better too!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Morning all--hope everyone is feeling better physically today.
glad to hear your BF isn't drinking around you zen
wish my husband would do that. Sigh.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
zjw

thats cool about your BF. My wife wont bring it in the house because of me. Sometimes I feel like some kind of a leper because of that but I'd rather that then try and have to quit while she consumes like crazy. I'd like to think if she brought it in the house it wouldnt be an issue. But I think it might be. Because she doesnt drink much she'd buy a bottle when she finally got around to opening it or well having me open it for her she'd have a glass then it'd sit forever. If i had an open bottle of booze in my fridge for weeks and months on end i'd go stir crazy with temptation so its prolly good she doesnt bring it in the house.

I changed my strategy yest on the foot. I ran then i wore shoes all day first a pair of vibrams which where the original offenders in this whole thing I had them on too tight. well I then realized the shoes them selves are a bit snug so I ripped them off and put on a diff shoe. Anyhow I did good but walking around the grocery store and such really did me in. So i came home had to mke dinner and such and then rested it.

Last night however I slept with my foot propped up on a pillow all night. My god what a diff that make I woke up with considerably less pain I'll be doing that every night now till this is healed.

We'll see if i run today who knows.

The downside is i have sick kids so one of them was puking all night long that was a blast and now i got carpets to clean and laundry to do and my wife is sick too. My luck i'll get sick next.

I always joke tho I'll get rest when i'm 6 feet under.

wife will prolly bring me a shovel when i'm on my death bed instead of flowers. Why? cause I'm good at digging my own grave. I have a thing about doing things the hard way. And I wont wanna go down with out a fight!

Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yeah he's different from me in that he can have 3 or 4 and leave it alone whereas I would just be getting warmed up. The worst is that he never cleans up his empties and never finishes the can so I end up having to dump them out and clean up after him. Drives me nuts. Not that I want to be all ghetto and drink the bottom of the can or anything, but I don't like having to smell it or handle it. If I was going to go back to drinking I'd go buy my own and drink as many as I want. I just think it's insensitive to not only leave a mess for me but also to be so flip about what I consider to be a problem for me..... Anyways he has mostly stopped for the time being for his own reasons.

I think giving your foot extra support is a great idea! Maybe wrap it in a tensor bandage? Yesterday and even while I slept I had mine taped and braced and today it feels much better, still a little sore and stiff.

LOLOLOL bring you a shovel so you can dig your own grave!! Too funny!

Sick puking kids are the worst! One time my kid puked in his bed..... I just bundled up all the bedding and threw it out haha, could not deal with it at all. Another time same kid puked on me while we were out on the street and I had to carry him the whole way home, I was pregnant with his brother covered in puke in the middle winter! Good times!

It is so nice to wake up feeling good instead of edgy.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i like waking up sober. As much as i can complain about this or that good god when i drank i'd wake up half dead wishing i'd just friggen die already. Those days are long gone.

Yeah I got a ton of great puke stories. from me being drunk and puking on my wife... to another time my daughter decided to basicly punish this same spot ont he carpet for what was the longest barfing session I've ever witnessed. I sat there eyes buldging out of my head not sure if i should laugh or cry or what to do it went on for what seemed like forever huge huge puddle. Then she stops I was like oh wow great no she moes like 1 foot and procedes to do it again I"m like why'd you move what was the thought process there? The cleanup from that fiasco took days I washed the carpet so many times its not even funny.

wrapping goes both ways sometimes it feels good at first then it can become painful.

Its a tough call when the other drinks and the one is trying to nip there drinking problem in the bud. I've always been of hte mindset of I got my problems they got theres it wouldnt be fair of me to force them to change there ways just because of me and my problems etc.. Would it be nice if they stopped? oh yeah absolutly but no sense in getting myself all torn up over it. But I might have a different view if my wife was a daily drinker and I was trying to quit booze etc.. Tho when i changed my dietary habits and such no one else came for my crazy train ride so I had to do it while watching everyone else eat whatever. It didnt phase me too much. But I can see from my expierience with booze how it might be tough on someone.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
zjw

My mindset is different tho these days. The other night and then this past night when a kid barfed I smiled and was just thankful we recently got a new washer lol.

like hrmm this could be a lot worse... lol
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

One of my greatest fears when my kids were young was that I would get sick at the same time as they were ill. This only happened once. Third kid started puking and I was right there with her.

I called my (then) husband home from his band practice to say "You need to come clean up the mayhem because I simply can not." Given the way our relationship went, it was the least he could do for me.

Love that you just threw out the bedding, Zen.
This is a move of which I approve.

Odd isn't it, how sometimes this recovery talk can be triggering?
I also approve of putting the book down and walking away.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
zjw

Odd isn't it, how sometimes this recovery talk can be triggering?
I also approve of putting the book down and walking away.
I was apprehensive to go to my first AA meeting the idea of being a block away from a good bar sitting around talking about drinking well just kinda made me thirsty! It went ok tho.

Cigarettes where like that tho everytime some quit smoking aide commercial would come on Tv i'd be like huh I think i'll go have a smoke....

And then what about eating a bowl of ice cream while watching a workout video lol.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Lol yeah I made my ex husband stay home from work once because both me and my boys had the norwalk virus.... they were both still in diapers and I was barely holding on!

I can think of a few occasions where I left counselling or a meeting and drank. At the time I thought it was stress from talking about a difficult issue or listening to other people talk about drinking or having to think of something to talk about even though I hate public speaking, especially to strangers about personal things. Back then I didn't know about AV but now I know better.

Getting sober is an entirely solo journey. No person or situation can make me drink or keep me sober. It's all on me.

I was driving today and thinking about the future and the summer and all the times I will be presented with awkward situations where I will have to stick to my guns and say no. Stresses me out thinking about it and my AV has been sending me images of a cold glass of beer. F@*K off! There is no point of worrying about it right now........
Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
zjw

Getting sober is an entirely solo journey. No person or situation can make me drink or keep me sober. It's all on me.
yep!! sure at least theres support groups and such but at the end of the day its up to number 1 to make it or break it.

when i got sober it was in june of 2011 and not much phased me in terms of situtions i' have to avoid. I was lucky I guess. But as the holidays approached i started to get concerned. I also once had to pick up food in a bar tht was really really hard. watching everyone drink and seemingly have a good time while i waited for the food to be ready it was terrible and the smell of the cigarettes etc.. I came home told my wife i'll never pickup food in a bar again dont even ask!! i barely made it out of there.

but fast forward later on i was at a party people where drunk. I could smell the booze on some of these guys breath from 20 feet away. there they where drunk obese smoking and acting obnoxious. I was like horrified because I realized that was me. That was me. And that image annoyed and frustrated the sober me and bothered me becuase I didnt ever wanna be that again it disturbed me that i was like tht and no one tried to tell me but then I realized ions of people did but i never listened!! If only I could have seen myself through sober eyes back then etc.. I felt bad for these guys and i was in a big hurry to leave the party. I honestly felt that the party was terrible once you remove booze crap food from your life. I'm not a super social person and it takes booze and crap food to get me talking in that kinda of a setting without it I'm like a fish out of water.

So I guess I went from struggling to say no to totally disgusted and saddened about how I once was. Now i'm pretty happy to be how I am.

You got the right attitude tho. If you resent your BF for drinking while you cant its just gonna be breeding grounds for the AV the AV is gonna feed on that resentment and give you all sorts of ideas! I can garantee it. You seem to have a good handle on it.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Amen.
And only you know when to extricate yourself because the situation is a risky one.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
zjw

Yay another is puking grateful I have a carpet cleaner I'm sober and it's not 3 am
Old 02-29-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh no! More puking kids! Buckets! Lots of buckets! Don't let them puke all over the carpets!

Wow, I didn't realize you'd been sober for so long. 5 years is a serious achievement. Kudos to you! I hope that's me one day. I've known for years that it would have to end one day, I've struggled with the I can manage it fantasy for quite some time. And sometimes I can but lots of times I can't and it takes on too big a part of my life. My lifestyle shouldn't revolve around drinking opportunities.

Hope your kids get better quickly! These stomach bugs tend to burn out pretty fast. Stay strong! Keep the steam cleaner close!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
zjw

I've known for years that it would have to end one day, I've struggled with the I can manage it fantasy for quite some time. And sometimes I can but lots of times I can't and it takes on too big a part of my life. My lifestyle shouldn't revolve around drinking opportunities.
Quit before it brings you to your knees. I new i had to stop myself for a while. I didnt really want too tho. and I had like little reason too. I watched my debt pile up tho and used to think well i guess i could quit drinking at some point to save some money. But I dunno that that woulda ever happened.

For me I prayed i wouldnt like the stuff or something. or it'd be unavailable to me or somthing or 'd simply just not want it anymore. God has a sense of humor I got panic attacks instead. Great have it scared the Crap out of me nice strategy but it worked so I'm happy it went the way that it did.

the idea of forever was insane to me at first honestly it still kinda is so i dont think of it like that. When i quit i figured if this quiting thing didnt work out I'd just start drinking again or eat a bullet. Luckily it started to work out for me.

Yeah the one that puked last night seems fine this morning go figure. I woke up shivering and wondering o great am i getting it now? i didnt feel so hot last night either. I think I probably have it and at the moment my symptoms are mild compared to the rest in my house. My wife is dien. Kids are getting through it. I got 2 yet to get sick tho.

All this because someone brought there flue ridden sick kid to the park! Lady new her kid had the flu too and brought him anyhow.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better! And you familyt too!

Yeah I've had periods in my life where I was drinking a lot more than I have been this last year. I used to drink every day, I would have to rack my brain trying to think of the last day that I'd been sober. I have managed to scale myself back to a few times a week, still it's to excess and not healthy. I'm just sick of it! Tired of living my life this way, there's so many other things to do! And I like being sober, I like feeling like I'm in charge and feeling vibrant and together.

I can't think of forever either, at least not right now. Feels dishonest to say forever. I mean I know that's the kind of commitment needed but doesn't feel achievable to me yet. Maybe after some time I'll be able to say that with a degree of confidence.

Went out for lunch with my best friend today and she's on the wagon too so now we can still go do things together.