Notices

Please I need reasons to be sober

Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please I need reasons to be sober

I know why I should quit drinking: health and fitness, appearance, finances, memory and focus, making new friends and finding a boyfriend. I know all this and yet I have a persistent voice in my head that says it's hopeless. It tells me I'll never accomplish my goals. I'll never lose weight or find love. It says it's realistically hopeless. It says I'll feel good if I go have those cocktails or bottles of wine. Everyone else drinks. I can handle physical cravings, but the voice in my head says it's ok to drink! The bar will be open soon.

Any advice?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew for quite some time that I should quit drinking, but it wasn't until I wanted to get sober more than I wanted to drink that I was able to get and stay sober.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like classic addict voice. Read around here especially in the Secular Connections sub-forum about AVRT, or poke around with Google searches on the "addict voice" in addiction recovery. Once we recognize that voice for the utter BS that it really is, we can find ways to ignore it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't end up where most people do: rock bottom. Your letting alcohol hold you back from who you can really be in life, I'm only 16 days sober but I feel great! Ive lost weight without trying since I'm not taking in all the excess calories. You won't know what life will be like sober until you try it.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

The voice LIES.
It wants to convince you that you are worthless so that it can continue to live it up at your expense.

The reason to quit drinking is to gain the strength to disregard the voice. Regardless of anything else you may or may not accomplish, this is reason enough.

The "how" is the hard part. For now, forget the reasons if you can. Just focus on what you can do to stop and stay stopped, even if it scares you.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The only thing that worked for me was truly making the decision to quit and committing to it. Meaning, pick a date, be prepared, have support ready, and above all remember that your addiction voice is separate from you. Taking those drinks is a temporary fix with long term repercussions. Choose NOT to drink for today. And see how you feel.

Nothing is ever hopeless. I was reading something yesterday that said many addicts have to reach hopelessness before their minds and hearts are open enough to desire and work towards change. You CAN achieve all those things but you're only harming yourself and putting yourself further behind by choosing to drink instead.

YOU should always be your number one reason to be sober. And keep posting here... You can do it if you want to badly enough.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, that voice in your head is your alcoholism and its full of lies.

The best way to combat it is to first accept that it exists ( your addiction ). Then you make a plan to quit drinking and stay sober. You will find a lot of support and information here about that exact subject...welcome aboard!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep - that's you AV. It will keep piping up, enouranging us to take that first drink, and it will lie; mock us; threaten us with our innermost and secret fears; pretend to be our friend. Whatever it takes to get us to drink.

I used to have a problem distinguishing that voice from my own thinking. Then I realised that it's easy to spot. It the voice is saying 'drink', then that's my AV piping up. Once I learned to recognise it for what it was, it was easier to ignore it.

If you're open to trying whatever is needed to beat this thing, maybe find an AA meeting near you and get there asap. I find that's my best bet for drowning out that voice.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aurora,

The results of long term alcoholism is a guarantee. Physical deterioration followed my mental impairment and ultimately a premature death.

If you stop drinking you'll have hope and the likelihood of a different outcome.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aurora7431 View Post

Any advice?
AA? Give it a try!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It can be done. I had to change everything in my life and I had to become totally honest with myself.. The bar will just make things worst, go for a walk in the park, change your routine!! Wishing you the best!!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support! I read about the addict voice. It was helpful and I'm sure I will keep reading to remind myself it's there. I want to be sober more than I want to keep drinking.

I'm going to the gym now. I invited my dad to join me in case I couldn't make it past the bar.

Thank you again.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

in early sobriety the only reason i was staying sober was because i was trying to avoid the panic attacks drinkig kept giving me.

all the reasons to drink seemed like great ideas too me for i duno a year? I sorta just put the blinders on and kept going one day at a time remaining sober. I had to just ignore all that. I didnt even have reasons to stay sober really cept avoiding those panic attacks.

but each day it got easier every i dunno week or 30 days or so i'd start to recognize certain thigns like waking up without a hangover aint so bad. getting better rest aint so bad. not sweating to death all night long aint so bad. not spending so much money on booze all the time is kinda cool etc...

I also realized I had a MOUNTAIN of problems now too deal with and dealing with them was so incredibly hard because I had spent the last decade plus drunk or high and not learning how to cope with real life. So booze had really bit me in the butt and screwed me.

started to get mad at that dang bottle.

But yeah then theres that AV that just cant wait to get me to pickup again too!! but why? because i'm an alcoholic thats why and that voice is always going to be there. I just had to accept that and realize i just gotta ignore it and move forward.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

That voice like others have said is AV it will tell you anything I had to want to get sober more than I wanted to drink

Just know with a plan things are more likely to succeed
Old 02-21-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

No, everybody else does NOT drink. In fact, the people who look good, have their acts together, and have great relationships generally don't. They're not "moderating" -- they just aren't interested in alcohol and as a result they don't drink.

If you want to join the circle of winners, keep in mind that winners don't drink. :-)
Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
No, everybody else does NOT drink. In fact, the people who look good, have their acts together, and have great relationships generally don't. They're not "moderating" -- they just aren't interested in alcohol and as a result they don't drink.

If you want to join the circle of winners, keep in mind that winners don't drink. :-)
Well said! Thanks for posting!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aurora7431 View Post
I know why I should quit drinking: health and fitness, appearance, finances, memory and focus, making new friends and finding a boyfriend. I know all this and yet I have a persistent voice in my head that says it's hopeless. It tells me I'll never accomplish my goals. I'll never lose weight or find love. It says it's realistically hopeless. It says I'll feel good if I go have those cocktails or bottles of wine. Everyone else drinks. I can handle physical cravings, but the voice in my head says it's ok to drink! The bar will be open soon.

Any advice?
How about just doing it for YOU! Your health and sanity?

Know this---There Are No Guarantees in Life , so just because we stop drinking does not mean we will end up with all the things WE WANT.
It will , however, bring us a sense of peace with ourselves and whatever life has in store for us, and hopefully allow us to finally feel good about ourselves and live a little longer .....healthy.

You need to do this for ONE person, and that person is You! You do not need a crutch, you are strong enough to do this. It won't be easy but it will be momentous.

Good Luck and let us help through your journey.
Trix

Last edited by TrixMixer; 02-28-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I knew for quite some time that I should quit drinking, but it wasn't until I wanted to get sober more than I wanted to drink that I was able to get and stay sober.

This