Notices

thank god the sun is shineing today!!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

thank god the sun is shineing today!!

been quite a few miserable rainly cold snowy gloomy days where i live. the sun finally came out today and i'm so thankful. the gloomy crap was really really bringing me down. Now i'm working to bring myself back up.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sunlight is a very good thing, it's been very gloomy here for several days too. I'm happy that the days are starting to slowly get a little longer every day too. I work in an office with no windows and when you come to work in the dark and it's dark when you leave it can be quite depressing.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I work in an office with no windows and when you come to work in the dark and it's dark when you leave it can be quite depressing.
oh good god thats awful. I have a window and work from home the sun is shining i can barely see my screen but thats ok by me.

I think the articial lighting and the cube farms people endure at offices is inhumane theres a lot of studies on how its bad for people If i had to go back to that i dunno if i could handle it lol.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I think the articial lighting and the cube farms people endure at offices is inhumane theres a lot of studies on how its bad for people If i had to go back to that i dunno if i could handle it lol.
Yes, I've even been told that by my therapist - that lack of sunlight can directly lead to increased anxiety & depression.

I make it a point to get up and walk around throughout the day, and when it's not too cold I go for a walk in a park that's nearby my work.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

thats good scott!! yeah i've heard using those full spectrum bulbs help i know here on a gloomy day i'll turn one of those on i think it helps? lol.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I used to live in the upper midwest where the winters are very long. It would be dark when I went to work and dark when I got home. The only light I'd see five days a week was looking out a window. Throw in the ice, snow and very cold weather and it's just a miserable time of year, so I know what you mean. It really does mess with your head. John
Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sunlight is a very good thing, it's been very gloomy here for several days too. I'm happy that the days are starting to slowly get a little longer every day too. I work in an office with no windows and when you come to work in the dark and it's dark when you leave it can be quite depressing.
i can relate in a way. back in my early 20's i was a macinist and worked in an 80k sqft shop. the only daylight coming in was one bay door- the opposite end of where i worked. i would get pretty bummed during the day.in the summer that door was always open so i made it a point to walk over to it a couple times a day.
in the winter, no matter how cold, i made it a point to get outside on lunch break.
being cooped up like that with no daylight was the major factor why i switched occupations and started building houses.
my front room here has a picture window that faces the south. i like taking some time to sit in the chair there and just absorb the sun.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Yeah, I used to live in the upper midwest where the winters are very long. It would be dark when I went to work and dark when I got home. The only light I'd see five days a week was looking out a window. Throw in the ice, snow and very cold weather and it's just a miserable time of year, so I know what you mean. It really does mess with your head. John
that was another reason for leaving the shop. 10-12 hour days werent bad in the summer, but in the winter coming and going in the dark sucked.

isnt there something about sunlight providing vitamin D and something else?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Makes me think of that song 'sun is shining weather is sweet'
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

glad i made this thread. i'm having some struggles here but this thread is reminding me that at least the sun is shining.

barely keeping my chin up about a few things the sun being out is what i'm hanging on too today.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

makes me smile as i sit here trying to force feed myself my lunch *sigh*
Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not a big fan of the gloom either.. I love the sunshine!! Spring is on the way!!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

This is about the time of year that I would feel that same way zjw. Cabin fever, also known as seasonal affective disorder or SAD, can improve with the correct amount and type of artificial light.

I moved to a much different latitude. Worked for me.

Light is quite a remarkable 'thing'!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've got a date with a Harley as soon as I leave the office
Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
This is about the time of year that I would feel that same way zjw. Cabin fever, also known as seasonal affective disorder or SAD, can improve with the correct amount and type of artificial light.

I moved to a much different latitude. Worked for me.

Light is quite a remarkable 'thing'!
Your post reminded me of Jack Nicholsen in The Shining!!!! Now that guy really had a bad case of SAD. Here's Johnny.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Completely agree guys. Grey, winter days drag me straight down. Spring's coming though - it's not completely dark leaving the office at 530-6 now.

I've always said that once the NCAA basketball tourney rolls around, I know I'll make it haha. Selection Sunday and daylight savings fall on same day this year.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

end of february and were gettin up to 55 and sunny here in michigan today. think im gonna drag my 2 year old great nephew outside today, which beings how theres gonna be mud, i wont have to drag! think i might just jump in the mud with him and see if i can remember what was so fun about it!

yup, cabin fever can make a person bonkers!
or more bonkers?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can SO relate to this. I used to live in the Mid-Atlantic (DC area) and the winters were terrible -- not so cold, but wet, grey, and dreary for days on end -- and I would be depressed for weeks at a time. Since I moved to the Phoenix area, it is soooooo much better. 350 days of sunshine a year has made a huge improvement in my mood state of mind and has really helped in my efforts to get sober.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Agreed! Yesterday we had a big snow storm and today it's so pretty with the sun shining! Daylight savings is only a few weeks away too