Notices

Realization

Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realization

Hi All,

Yesterday it came to me. I have a drinking problem. Well, I knew I had one but yesterday was the first day I could say it to myself.

Some may laugh at what I classify as a problem. Others may say, "yeah, dude, you have a problem." It's all relative I guess. But I am recognizing that for me I have crossed the line at what is healthy and responsible for my body and well being.

After reading much about "levels" some might classify me as a functional alcoholic. I do not drink during the day at all. Nor feel the need to as I enjoy awareness and responsibility with both work, exercise, and daily routines. But at 5:00PM (that magical hour), or a bit later if doing a post work gym run, I begin my evening foray into alcohol. Usually, not always, I finish the night off at this point with about 325 ML of Vodka and a beer or glass of wine. It was not always like this. Originally I would be fine with one martini in the evening and a single glass of wine. Gradually it increased to the point that you don't even notice. Until one day (a few years ago) you realize that a bottle of vodka barely lasts two days.

I rarely wake up with a hangover (maybe once a week - a mild one - mostly when traveling and the ease of a bottle at arms length in my hotel room each evening goes down like water) but most of the time I am nicely buzzed. Never "drunk." Fully functional. But I know that my body is beginning to feel the effects of this going on now for some time and warning me to stop.

The most dangerous thing I recognize in myself now is that I look forward to the start of evening drinks and I have never in years not had them. To the point that it is a habit and I have trouble imagining an evening without them.

So here I am today at the moment of recognizing that I need to do something. I feel I am reaching a point where the next level is not too far ahead in the future. Beginning the process of recognizing that I have a problem and that I will not go down the path of my biological father who let alcoholism destroy a good part of his life and left me without ever experiencing a father relationship in my life.

What makes this hardest is work. I run a successful company and have a public profile. With this I travel 250 days a year around the world putting me into situations in hotels, dinners - everywhere where the opportunity is more than present and easy. Further, most of it is alone. Needless to say I am hoping that I can do this without any sort of formal detox or rehab as I don't have time and do not want this on any medical history or publicly known.

Given the positive that I function fine during the day without any drinks I have decided to begin a process of tapering today. I want to see how this works and if it can lead to my ability to eventually fully detox for some days and even perhaps allow me to become a responsible drinker again. I know that everyone is different. I know that this will meet with criticism by some. And perhaps rightfully. But after reading a great deal over the past 24 hours this seems it may offer me a good fit.

Thanks for reading and hearing my story. I would love some feedback from others who have experience with this and were perhaps at my own level of (abuse?).
Old 02-18-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome eyechip. I think you've made a very important conclusion - that only you can decide if your drinking is a problem. How much and when you drink is not always relevant. Alcoholism generally progresses over time and you seem to be experiencing that with your increased consumption and cravings. The fact that you don't think you can just stop is a red flag as well.

Another telling sign is that you have already stated several barriers to you being able to stop and things that you aren't willing to do. AKA - you've already ruled out detox and or rehab because you "don't want to".

It is certainly possible that you are not an alcoholic...and your plan to taper down and attempt to resume "moderate" drinking will answer that for you. Know that it is impossible for a true alcoholic to ever do this, and it has been attempted many times by just about everyone here with the same result....a return to old drinking levels - or worse.

You are more than welcome here, but please remember that this is a sobriety forum first and foremost - you will not find support for moderated drinking.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Word of advice: Get off the train NOW while you're still "functional." The train is progressing whether you realize it or not... Keep drinking and you will lose "functionality."

Secondly, if something is problem to YOU, in YOUR mind...it's a problem! You don't need anybody else to affirm it. You're posting here because you know in your heart that life would be better without this "problem."

By all means implement your taper but don't be discouraged if you find that very hard. A lot of people literally CANNOT taper due to addiction. If you try tapering for a short time and find yourself deviating from the taper plan even once... don't be discouraged but DO come up with a QUIT plan.

Suggestion: Formulate your QUIT plan now, so you have it in your hip pocket if the taper doesn't work.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And yes, I was in a similar type of career and at your "level" of abuse for about 15 years. It constituted the middle chapter of my descent into addiction. I struggled during that time to avoid the stigmatizing signs of alcoholism -- rehab, detox, etc. I fought like hell to return to moderation and spent thousands of dollars on various "moderation" programs. During that time, my top priority was to make sure that I would be able to continue to drink. I wanted the "drinking problem" to go away but not the drinking.

In the last two years of my drinking career, my "functionality" went down the tubes. For me, the only solution was to QUIT. I went through detox, never did really find a formal rehab plan that suited me, but am now very much enjoying my sobriety. My "functionality" has more than returned -- it's at a higher level than ever.

My "problem" was finally solved when I made my quality of life and personal achievement MORE important than being able to drink.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on making a decision to do something!

I drank similar to you, before things started to get out of control and spiraled quickly down the hole with accumulating negative consequences. Actually the tipping point, looking back, was when I gave myself permission to drink every night (previously it had been Friday/Saturday nights only), but I still held it together drinking around half a bottle of booze every night for a few years. I tried cutting back, but I was never successful at it for long, and gradually the volume increased instead.

You'll learn for yourself how successful you are at cutting back. I'm sure there are people who can do it, maybe you're one of those people, but in my experience they are rare among people who drink as much as you say you do. Abstinence is actually much easier, and you'll find that no one else (who doesn't have a drinking problem) cares if you drink alcohol or soda or nothing at social events.

Have you thought about making a solemn decision to not drink a drop of alcohol for, say, 3 months? See how you view your situation then?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I tried many times to moderate my drinking but always ended up drinking too much.

I hope our support can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, eyechip; glad that you found us.

There's some very good advice in the response posts above.

There are some very good SR links regarding the formulation of a plan which I will post for you in a minute.

You may also want to join an SR Class so that you can give and receive support to and from with people who are at the stage as you in their sober journey. I will post that link, also.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here are the links, eyechip:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=psst

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you both and the advice is excellent. I get the message and assure you that I will respect this forum as being one of sobriety only.

In response to your advice for a plan I say I agree and find it sage indeed. Thus, my "hip pocket" plan B will be that If I am unable to maintain a taper now (emotionally or physically) with an eye to eventual complete detox and no reverting to current patterns than I will seek outside help. No second chances as well. Period. If I can't do this once than I recognize the problem is beyond my ability to control it alone.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you SoberLeigh, Jeffrey and least.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Thus, my "hip pocket" plan B will be that If I am unable to maintain a taper now (emotionally or physically) with an eye to eventual complete detox and no reverting to current patterns than I will seek outside help. No second chances as well. Period. If I can't do this once than I recognize the problem is beyond my ability to control it alone.
That sounds like a good plan B, my only suggestion would be to make it your plan "A" instead;-)

On another note, please also be aware that there is always the potential danger of serious withdrawal complications, even with tapering. While relatively rare, it's something you need to be aware of - and if you've never tried to quit before you really have no idea how your body and mind will react. Just be safe and seek medical help if things don't feel right.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some may laugh at what I classify as a problem. Others may say, "yeah, dude, you have a problem." It's all relative I guess. But I am recognizing that for me I have crossed the line at what is healthy and responsible for my body and well being.
I've met and read things by a number of people in AA who were completely functional in the way that you describe. For me, part of the question is how much control do I have over my drinking and whether I can drink safely. I know someone in AA who drank just enough so that he didn't have hangovers so he could go to work the next day. But that doesn't mean he could stop drinking for any significant amount of time. My father, who like yours has also ruined his life and relationships with alcoholism, gave every appearance of being functional throughout his life. Now he has brain damage from the drinking.

It was not always like this. Originally I would be fine with one martini in the evening and a single glass of wine. Gradually it increased to the point that you don't even notice. Until one day (a few years ago) you realize that a bottle of vodka barely lasts two days.
Yeah, you've built tolerance, and tolerance can be a sign that dependency may be forming or may have already formed.

. . . and that I will not go down the path of my biological father who let alcoholism destroy a good part of his life and left me without ever experiencing a father relationship in my life.
I _so_ know exactly what you mean. It's so painful.

Needless to say I am hoping that I can do this without any sort of formal detox or rehab as I don't have time and do not want this on any medical history or publicly known.
As has been said, this is dangerous stuff. I have ambivalent feelings about this, but there is a protocol for "home detox." Basically, you work with a doctor who prescribes something like Librium and you use that to moderate withdrawal symptoms and then taper off the Librium. You see the doctor every day to manage the process safely. That may be a safe option for you that meets your needs.

I would love some feedback from others who have experience with this and were perhaps at my own level of (abuse?).
If you've read the Big Book of AA (which is useful reading even for people for whom AA doesn't turn out to be a recovery fellowship that works), you might find that the definition of alcoholism there doesn't quite fit. The definition there is that an alcoholic has an abnormal reaction to alcohol once he takes the first drink, such that he cannot stop drinking, and then once free of any physical dependency, continues to have a mental obsession with alcohol that causes him to keep picking up. So the idea of not being able to stop (of being out of control) works both at point in time usage and over time as one keeps returning to drink. Since the Big Book was written, however, I think the understanding has evolved to recognizing different stages of alcoholism and different styles of alcohol related behavior. And so there are lots of people who just don't look like the extreme cases of most stories in the Big Book, but nonetheless drink because they feel compelled to do so and continue returning to it despite their best intentions.

I will use myself as an example. Not only do I have a father whose life has been ruined by alcoholism, but I have in recent months had to do things like take him to the ER because he spontaneously decided to stop drinking (this also doesn't fit the usual story line of an alcoholic) and then got to be there when the doctor told him that, no, not knowing what day of the week it is or what year it is is not normal short-term memory loss for an 83 year old, but that his symptoms are consistent with alcohol related dementia. Personally, I found the whole thing disgusting.

However, I also had a significant drinking history many years ago. I had developed some level of tolerance. I was able to stop outside of any detox or recovery program (although I did have some withdrawl symtpoms). For some period of time I drank moderately. And did some binge drinking. And drank moderately again. But after a while I began to have really strong cravings to drink in response to emotional distress. Over the years, I have continued to have cravings from time to time. I have been struggling with the most difficult bout of cravings since I've been dealing with my father. In other words, as disgusted as I am with what alcohol has done to him, I have really strong a compulsion to drink.

So, yeah, I don't seem like an alcoholic. And maybe there some technical sense in which I'm not. But my mental obsession with alcohol is not normal, and I'm also certain that if I were to drink again, what happens next would be completely unpredictable and one way or another very not good. So in the interest of not ending up like my father, and so that my children never ever see me drunk, I have started going to AA.

Best of luck on your journey to sobriety.
--YA
Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you both and the advice is excellent. I get the message and assure you that I will respect this forum as being one of sobriety only.

In response to your advice for a plan I say I agree and find it sage indeed. Thus, my "hip pocket" plan B will be that If I am unable to maintain a taper now (emotionally or physically) with an eye to eventual complete detox and no reverting to current patterns than I will seek outside help. No second chances as well. Period. If I can't do this once than I recognize the problem is beyond my ability to control it alone.
Smart and reasonable. Are you aware of potential serious withdrawal symptoms, so that you know what to watch for? If not, Google these and be ready to contact a doc if you need to. (This is better-safe-than-sorry; I'm in no way saying you WILL have problems.)

What's your taper plan and timeline?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

After reading much about "levels" some might classify me as a functional alcoholic.
"Functional" is a stage of alcoholism, not a type of drinker. Nip it in the bud.

Our addiction is strange. You recognize that you have a problem, yet your solution is the one that allows you to keep drinking (tapering, future moderation).

I hope you succeed. There is much to be learned in the struggle.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

@Yoga Want to thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful overview. It was very insightful and your empathy in this is appreciated.

@Sober Yes, I have studied all the physical signs to be aware of and will be conscious of them going forward. But I am optimistic that they will not be a factor for two reasons: first, that I don't drink during the day at all have nothing in the way of physical signs - second, on two occasions over the past years I have gone without a drink for one to two nights when I was sick with flu/cold and did not seem to display any issues.

I have developed a plan for tapering that will include cutting down over the next 3 days to a quarter of a bottle from the half I am at. From three to seven days I want to be down to 85ML per day. After seven days I will do a full week with no vodka and a single beer or glass of wine with dinner. After that week my goal is a 30 day full cleansing to see how I feel, where I am mentally, and if I am able to occasionally drink afterwards without routine and/or the feeling of daily need.

If, during the process, any parts fail and it is clear that I am falling quickly back to my current trends I am already vowing to myself that I will have no choice but to seek outside assistance.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One part I should add to this given the nature of the forum as being one of sobriety is that I have read many of the "taper" posts here and I am not fooling myself into the pattern I keep reading about of, let me call it, "yo- yo tapering." That is repeated taper down and ramp back up pattern that I see here often. For me, the simple inability to manage and control without physical or mental difficulty and/or reverting back to my current trend is a failure in this regard and total sobriety and outside help is the only option.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck! Honestly that sounds like a lot of work to keep track of the mL per day on which day, you may very truly find it easier to just stop since you're planning on stopping for 30 days anyways. Something to keep in mind if you find yourself delaying that next cut-back 'till tomorrow, for blah-blah-blah reasons.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You're in the right place if you want to quit drinking. Alcolism is very progressive, when my enternal switch went off nothing about drinking was fun to me., the fun was gone..

There's a saying if you want to find out if you're a normal drinker go out for a week and only have two drinks, if this is not problem for you you might be a normal drinker..

It sounds like you have a lot of positive things going on with your life, there's really nothing to be ashamed of living a life of soberity, it's really a beautiful thing.. Wishing you the best, get a good plan together and execute to the plan..

There are a lot of great folks here with many, many years of sobriety, using many different methods.. Keep reading and ask questions if you have any and put a plug in the jug!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome eyechip

Like others have said it's kinda strange for me to read that you accept your problem with alcohol - but still hope to have it in your life and control it.

I understand that mindset because I had it for many years - but, from this perspective it looks like walking through a bed of hot coals with gas-soaked feet...and hoping not to get burned.

Nevertheless, of course, I wish you well
D