Notices

I'm not an alcoholic

Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic

Well yes I am. But I came up with a new thought process to help feel better about my "new" self. I believe I wasn't born an alcoholic. I became an alcoholic after abusing it. When I first began drinking I wouldn't be considered an alcoholic. And now I don't drink anymore, so why label myself as an alcoholic. Alcoholics drink alcohol. I don't.

Now I'm still very new to being sober (five months). So I know all you old farts will disagree with me. But just wanted to share my new perspective. Haters gonna hate.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Agree with the perspective on alcoholism, alcoholic = one who drinks addictively. I don't drink, so I'm not an alcoholic. And I wasn't an alcoholic once upon a time when I drank moderately like most people, either. But I'm not sure where your hating is coming from, "old farts" and whatnot. Sounds like you're carrying around some anger? Watch that, it can take you out.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take your point but don't let it seduce you into thinking that you can drink rationally if in fact you used drink irrationally. A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Congrat's on 5 months! For an ex-alcoholic, that's truly remarkable - well done.

As with our journey's, it really make no difference to me how one chooses to label themselves. It only relevant to me, for me. It's like debating recovered vs. recovering..........what's the point? Whatever works for you is all that matters.

Today, I am a grateful sober recovered alcoholic who is never cured of alcoholism. That works for me.......

Glad you're with us,friend!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Whatever works for you is great. Please have the same respect for what works for others.

Congratulations on five months.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You can use any definition you like. I choose to think of myself as someone who cannot drink socially. I cannot limit my drinking once I start and this is what defines the word as I use it.

The term alcoholic has all sorts of pejorative connotations attached to it. I prefer to label myself as an alcoholic in order to serve as an example of a way out of that mess. A documentary called "The Anonymous People" provides a nice perspective on this.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also think your rationale plays into really outdated ideas attached to the stigma (still today) of being an "alcoholic". Nothing wrong with being an alcoholic, I'm cool with it I just don't drink. Does that make me an alcoholic in waiting? I really want to see the day when "alcoholism" is not seen as moral failure. I make this my mission, outside of abstinance. We are all cool.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No "hating" from this old fart -- I believe you absolutely can label yourself simply as a "non-drinker" and leave any identification as an "alcoholic" in the past.

The only danger is that this mindset can lead you to think that having "just one" would be OK -- after all, you're not an alcoholic anymore, right?

Your brain doesn't reset to its pre-alcoholic condition, no matter how long you are abstinent. The potential to get back on the crazy train right where you left off is always there. However, it's a non-issue as long as you never take the first drink (because you are a "non-drinker").
Old 02-13-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a kid once,but I am no longer a kid. I would like to be a kid again,but I cannot reverse time.
I was also not an alcoholic when I was a kid. But I am an alcoholic now. I haven't had a drink in 8 years. But I am only 1 beer away from going back to hell. 1 beer and I'm not sure if I could ever quit again. I will always be an alcoholic,and I cannot go back. It is just that simple.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its all true.

The important thing is not to drink ever.

The difference between me and some others, is that they can still drink, whereas I cannot.

As long as I remember that, I will be okay. And so will you.

But its not smart to get to the point of thinking we are the same as those other people, cause we are not. Never will be. Maybe never were.

Who knows and its not important. Now we cannot drink. Ever. No matter what.

The rest is not important.

We are lucky, soon drinking will be like smoking, and we are ahead of the game.

Glad to be on this ride with you.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see myself as a recovered alcoholic. That is to say, I don't drink anymore so don't have the problems associated with drinking.

And yes, I am an old fart, but not a hater.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with everybody. I know that I cannot drink anymore. I made the old fart comment because some of the older more experienced posters can come off as arrogant as if they forgot they were once newbies. Anyways, I appreciate the replies and let the good times keep rolling.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Straightup, if you haven't been there yet, you may want to check out one of the many discussions about Rational Recovery/AVRT in the Secular Forum. I think it would be right up your alley as it affirms what you seem to have stumbled across on your own.

Also, I don't think you meant any harm by the haters comment, but disagreement doesn't generally equate to animosity around here. With some exceptions, it seems to me that on SR people generally offer their perspective for consideration not for correction.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by least View Post
I see myself as a recovered alcoholic. That is to say, I don't drink anymore so don't have the problems associated with drinking.

And yes, I am an old fart, but not a hater.
Haaaaa = True Dat!

I was much more of a hater when younger.............
Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am not someone that cannot drink, but rather someone that chooses not to drink. I don't label myself now for a behavior I haven't done in years. I'm just a guy who doesn't drink.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

I dunno I like your logic. I think its good to hold your head high and say I dont have a problem with alchohol I might have in the past but not anymore I'm not an alcoholic anymore I like it. I think it can make one feel good about oneself and leave the past sins in the past where they belong.

That being said just becareful not to discount the issues your capable of having with alcohol and lowering your guard one day. Because at the end of the day the underlying addiction is still there and if you where to feed it you could end up in trouble all over again.

the old saying comes to mind. "you can polish a turd but its still a turd" No your not a turd but you can call wash over your issue all you ike but the issue is still there its just thankfully in remission and not a problem at this time.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

As long as you never drink again and die sober whether you are or are not an alcoholic really doesn't make a difference.

This old fart is an alcoholic because he has quit multiple times and eventually drank again.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 5 months sober Straightup your doing great keep up the good work
Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am with you completely on this one, Straightup. I don't drink, and never will. How the heck could I be addicted to or dependent on the stuff? I have no daily obligation to maintain some spiritual something, and no conditions need be met to remain sober. I am done with alcohol for good, and it is a great relief.

I know some say, Ahh, but what if you were to take a drink? If? Well, that is something that won't happen, and can't happen, simply because I say so. What if my aunt had primary male characteristics? Well, she would be my uncle then.

I don't see any disrespect to others in the least way in your OP. You are laying it out as it is for you. You keep flying the way you are going, Straightup, and you will be just fine.

For the record, I am old, and I need more dietary fiber.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightup View Post
So I know all you old farts will disagree with me. But just wanted to share my new perspective. Haters gonna hate.
I don't think any of the frequent posters here who've amassed some sober time have forgotten, for one moment, how fragile we were when we arrived on SR's doorstep.

We remember the welcoming words and the wise counsel of those who went before us. And everyday, you'll see hundreds of posts from the "old farts" who seem to have offended you so. Why do we do it? Because we carry the baton, following in the footsteps of those who helped shine the light on our path to recovery.

We do so hoping that we'll shine the light, too. We also do so knowing that our counsel to others will be rejected sometimes, will be laughed at sometimes, will be met with sarcasm sometimes, will be met with excuses sometimes, will be met with terminal uniqueness sometimes. And, apparently, we'll have to deal with pejoratives to describe us.

But we're still there for others. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I intend to live in recovery for the rest of my life.

As of today, I am exactly 2.5 years sober. I got here because I listened to the veterans of sobriety, for their words helped me achieve the most difficult -- and worthwhile -- accomplishment of my lifetime.