Notices

Madwoman

Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Madwoman

1St day all over again.
I think the feeling of self hatred is probably part of the addiction cycle.
Long story,short version.
I Always drank abnormally even from the start and have only recently found the strength to admit that yes,I am an alcoholic!
Scarily I can source alcohol anywhere and in Ireland it is impossible to avoid it. I need coping strategies for cravings and how long does it take to feel free of this?
I will feel better with a plan. Same goes for the guy who lost everything.
Make yourself 1 promise and keep it.
Homes and jobs come and go, reach out to your nearest and dearest.
Saying that, I haven't told any of mine and that's why I'm changing. I don't want them to suffer because of me.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. There is a lot of information on this site and a lot of wisdom. I hope you'll spend some time with us.

As far as cravings, mine were pretty annoying for the first six months. It's worth it to go through it and come out on the other side.

There are many people in Ireland who don't drink, and many Irish on this site who have quit. You can do it.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Madwoman. Admitting you have a problem is a big step and a necessary one to move on to recovery, congratulations for coming to that realization.

What most of us need is some kind of formal plan or program to follow to help us learn to live life sober. There is meeting based recovery like AA/NA/Smart, etc, self paced methods like AVRT, etc, some folks opt for counseling or rehab/detox, there are really a lot of options.

You might want to consider joining the class of February over in the newcomers section...being around a group of people with a similar goal can help tremendously, even if the connection is virtual like here on SR.

Regarding recovery plans, you might also want to read some of the sticky's over in newcomers, this one is especially good for someone looking to form a recovery plan for the first time

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

hang in there madwomen. I get the self hatred. I felt like i was in this viscous cycle of self destruction. The moment i started doing good it seemed like something inside of me just couldnt wait to destroy me. I so wanted to break that cycle.

quiting drinking was the first major step in breaking that cycle for me. the clarity I got there after really helped.

I guess one way to look at it is dont feed that beast starve it. thats what I had to do. It'll get hungry it'll kick and scream and throw a tantrum but eventually it'll sit down and shutup and once in a while it might pipe up and say "hey how about a drink" but by this point you'll be stronger to say "NO" and it will be too defeated to throw tantrums or kick around and such any longer it'll be too week. you will have starved it.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

As Scott said, there is a group of February 2016 - people who are starting out on the path to sobriety this month (whether it be their first time or those that have tried and not succeeded and have decided to go for it again). I'm one of those that are back again and the support is marvellous, especially as everybody is at the beginning of their journey.

For a different 'sort' of support there is the 24 hour thread where people 'sign up' for 24 hours of sobriety (though you aren't tied down to once a day - if you feel the need for a 'check-in' during your day to keep you going that is fine. If it means someone keeps going then it is all to the good). There you will encounter everyone from Day 1'ers to those that have been sober for years. Always encouraging to read long-term success stories.

For me those are the mainstays but everybody is different and gets their needs 'fulfilled' in other threads.

Good luck on your journey xx

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-104-a.html
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Madwoman.

It took some work, but I've miraculously stopped hating myself since I got sober.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MW nice to meet you
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome madwoman

You'll find a lot of help support and a little hope here

A few other Irish folks too - it really is possible to get sober and stay that way anywhere

D
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Madwoman :-)

I always drank abnormally right from the start as well. A lot of us can relate to the feelings of self-hatred too. You've found a great community here. Welcome :-)
Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I too have always suffered from self hatred. I hated myself the most because I drank. Always hard on myself and never others, not worthy of self love. In my early months of being sober this is turning around and I'm finding I have value in this world. SR has been one of my lifelines to growth and I hope you find something to draw from here.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Madwoman!!