Notices

lifes ups and downs

Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

lifes ups and downs

This may not be a big deal to some but I figured I'd post this up as it might help those going through tough stuff think about how can this be a good situation.

As many know I run and I run a lot. I run about 50-70 miles a week.

I'm in the process of changing to a more minimal shoe and correcting my running form so that I ca have less injuries moving forward etc.. Long term this is a good idea for me.

Now here is the difficult part. As I started fixing my form I started getting more and more sore each day. I also at about this point threw in a nice minimal shoe into the game to help me really get this down. So in comes my vibram 5 fingers to the mix. The first day with those I ran 3 miles which was just a nice easy slow run for me and for those in the know prolly too much for a first run in vibrams lol.

So now I have some good pain going on. The following day I struggled to run a 10 minute mile then kinda hobbled around for another mile.

So I'm depressed but I'm also humbled. I probably needed to be taken down a notch I made running look easy and was pretty proud of my ability as i should be I worked very hard to get to where i was.

So does this have me down? Oh yeah. But I know long term this will be for the better. I know I have to go throught his process as much as I dont want too.

Just like with quiting drinking. I could easily put on one of my other pairs of shoes and go running like I once did in bad form and be ok just to get my "fix" but why? I'm trying to instill new habits here.

So much like my early days of sobriety where I sat there wishing crying I could just have a few drinks to ease this pain I new that long term that was no solution and that I had to push forward through the process.

I heard a guy talk about desire and want yest. Say you really want a drink. and you finally get that drink is there happiness in that drink? or did you just relieve the agitation and frustration of your desire for a drink?

anyhow I post this to show that yea life can be a struggle and it can stink and hurt and be depressing and sad but it can also be for the best and could just be making you stronger and better.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

As Darryl Worley [sp?] says, "Sounds like life to me."

And you're right -- a lot of life's pains are actually part of a process which is working for our good. Love your analogy. Example: Withdrawals are actually your body healing.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love the long term perspective!

PS. You continue to be a beast with the running. Your mileage is incredible! (I ran a 50k averaging 1/2 of what you are doing weekly). You might surprise yourself at how well you are prepared right now for an Ultra.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah its like in early sobriety its not an alcohol deficiency! its just your body getting used to what normal feels like.

in my case the solution isnt to go back to the bad habits here so just gotta keep pushing forward.

I post it to say tho is it a pain? yes absolutly. I run to relieve stress and anxiety etc.. yest i found myself crying over it this morning I woke up looked over at my vibrams stareing at me as if to say "haha gonna teach ya some more today!" and I thought painful SOB's they feel like some horrible painful chain i must wear while running lol.

but its for the best.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

ultra yes thats my goal. I wanna do ultras. I just dont have the time.

and yeah I have to wonder if i just signed up for a race and got proper rest if i'd surprise myself.

I gotta get this form down tho at this moment in time. and yes Ultra's are on my todo list for sure.

Time is my biggest drawback. its always a game trying to figure out where i can fit in the next run around proper eating and such and being a father etc..
Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's an average of 7.5-10 miles per day or something which is really impressive normally with pain the best thing is rest

Excellent exercise though
Old 02-05-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I used to run a lot and I admire your determination to do so. I also think your attitude towards the ups and downs of life is a very healthy one, thanks for sharing with us.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
That's an average of 7.5-10 miles per day or something which is really impressive normally with pain the best thing is rest

Excellent exercise though
yeah its hard. like I want to think about the current days struggle but I shouldnt forget about where i've come from either.

I once was 275lbs smoked over 2 packs a day and drank like a fish day in and day out and lived in a pit of despair.

so yeah this really stinks but geeze oh petes I gotta keep it in perspective it could be incredibly worse.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are a huge inspiration, Z. I can't run due to disk problems, but I admire your grit. I know a woman who ran Comrades this past year and even she doesn't use Vibram five fingers. I didn't know they were for everyone. Hang on, buddy!
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I used to run a lot and I admire your determination to do so. I also think your attitude towards the ups and downs of life is a very healthy one, thanks for sharing with us.
yeah I"m just trying to make the point here that life aint always ***** and giggles. and at one time i'd allow osmeting like this to beat me up knock me down and send me to the bar and the pit etc...

But now because of my view on it. the pro's tend to tame out the con's sometimes leaving me flat feeling. or when the emotion of despair arises the emotion of being happy about the positive mutes out this despair.

the good and the bad is still very much alive and well within me. they just kinda balance each other out better these days then they once did.

hope this makes sense.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You are a huge inspiration, Z. I can't run due to disk problems, but I admire your grit. I know a woman who ran Comrades this past year and even she doesn't use Vibram five fingers. I didn't know they were for everyone. Hang on, buddy!
yeah the science behind barefoot running or using vibrams makes a ton of sense. already my hip pains are gone back pains are gone strain is gone. all because of proper form and vibrams are a nice training tool.

once I adapt tho this calf pain will subside and I'll be ok.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Watch out for rocks!! Go, you.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

question -- is it becoming yet another addiction ?????????

Originally Posted by zjw View Post

So now I have some good pain going on. The following day I struggled to run a 10 minute mile then kinda hobbled around for another mile.
Our bodies in a way talk to us and we should pay attention.
I have seen many runners push it when they actually need rest.
My wife for one -- ended up with a knee operation.

I have seen ones running with such a limp that
they should have actually been crawling.

Running or most any kind of exercise can easily
become yet another addiction.

As we know, addictions can hurt or possibly even destroy the body and or mind.

M-Bob
Old 02-05-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Watch out for rocks!! Go, you.
yeah you really gotta be AWARE. haha. which is interesting. tho I watched out for rocks a lot before however.

The first day i went out and started working my form I ran 7 miles and i tried to make every step perfect and precise for those 7 miles. I came home told my wife this is mentally exhausting hahah. I mean talk about being totally aware in each moment. I couldnt zone out at all!!! and thats one thing I like to do while running is zone out then i come back too and its like oh hey wow i went 5 more miles? lol. The next day I went out ran 9 miles same thing paid attention to each painstaking step. watching where i was going where i stepped made sure i ws precise etc..

again I came back like WOW talk about being AWARE haha.

But thats all part of the expierience. I do hope tho as i get the new habit formed I can go back to zoning out. I like to zone out too lol.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Our bodies in a way talk to us and we should pay attention.
I have seen many runners push it when they actually need rest.
My wife for one -- ended up with a knee operation.

I have seen ones running with such a limp that
they should have actually been crawling.

Running or most any kind of exercise can easily
become yet another addiction.

M-Bob
Yeah I think your last 2 lines are the main ones I"m trying to watch here. I wont lie I'm totally hooked on running. I had to bike yest from the pain got done and was like ugg this just isnt the same as running GRRRR.

I know if I was FORCED to tho I could easily be happy with a different activity for exercise. I'd simply have to get over myself.

But I do find more often then not I'm very thankful I can run.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Due to a few operations on both knees I have given running up and now truly enjoy bicycle riding mixed with some light hiking.

65 year old body is a little worn out.
But, we know what they say,
use it or lose it.

Mountainman
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Due to a few operations on both knees I have given running up and now truly enjoy bicycle riding mixed with some light hiking.

65 year old body is a little worn out.
But, we know what they say,
use it or lose it.

Mountainman
Thats part of the reason for switching to to minimalist foot where. I was having some hip pain and such. vibrams contrary to popular belief when run in properly are way low impact. I already have incredibly less hip pain and strain in my body.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You got that right my wife taught me long ago to buy good quality shoes. They make a big difference.

Mountainman
Old 02-05-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Life throws many curve balls at us and some of them are desperate hard to deal with, I know in my case in recovery I always wanted things yesterday and it doesn't happen that way as we know.

I work hard at trying to accept things for what they are, still have a long way to go but when life throws something at me I choose to reach out, I used to see that as a sign of weakness but really it's not, it's taking recovery as the most important thing in my life.

There is a lot of reading material on the net around this subject.

All the best

Andrew
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Short term pain for long term gain.

I totally understand when you wrote about zoning out and I hope you reach that point with your new style.

With that much running, do you enter any races?