Notices

Freshly Sober And Getting On With Life! :-)

Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Freshly Sober And Getting On With Life! :-)

I want to start a daily thread that isn't about PAWS, alcohol-induced drama, cravings, or relapse. Is there anybody else here who's recently sober and feeling ready to begin the process of getting on with life? 'Cuz that's part of recovery too, 'ya know!

Let's talk about what we're doing to reclaim our lives. Goals, interests, financial recovery, wellness, new friends, career aspirations, etc.

Let's be accountability partners to each other to make sure our statements and intentions get backed up by ACTION.

If you're game, jump in! I'll go first...
Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My Next Frontiers...

I just passed the 3-week sobriety mark (a personal best) and am feeling great in body/mind/spirit. Time to start some "life housekeeping." Areas I'd like to focus on are:
  • Finance: Clear out the debt that racked up during my drinking.
  • Wellness: Bite the bullet and get medical answers to remaining niggling little physical ailments.
  • Fitness/weight: Until about a year ago, I had a body like J-Lo. Now I'm 30 lbs heavier, so....I'm all about getting my body back.
  • Dating/relationships: Not gonna actively pursue this right now. On the other hand, if Johnny Depp shows up on my doorstep I will not turn him away. I mean, no need to be stupid about things, right?
  • Friends/interests: This is my biggest challenge. Gotta make that outreach on a daily basis!!!

And of course, first and foremost...REMAIN SOBER.

What are YOUR next frontiers?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Sobriety first in everything.

Recently getting back into electric guitar after four years of playing acoustic-only, my musical goals for the year are to get into a gigging band, and to put together a small home studio so that I can record my own original music.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Sobriety first in everything.

Recently getting back into electric guitar after four years of playing acoustic-only, my musical goals for the year are to get into a gigging band, and to put together a small home studio so that I can record my own original music.
That's awesome. So how does it work? Do you go on auditions, tap into your network, etc? What kind of equipment goes into a home studio?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love this!

1. Stay sober!!!
2. Get a job and get out of debt
3. Get my body back. I have already been doing this with my raw food diet and exercise and can already feel and see changes. Like you SoberinSyracuse, I got about 20-30 lbs that could go. Funny how when I finally got sober and looked in the mirror at my tummy, I was like "where the hell did YOU come from??!" lol.
4. Find my creative outlets again.

But first and foremost is to just stay sober. Baby steps for me.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
That's awesome. So how does it work? Do you go on auditions, tap into your network, etc? What kind of equipment goes into a home studio?
Well, I do open-mics on my acoustic sometimes, so I know a lot of the musician community here already, and they already know that I can play and sing. If I can find a gig with folks I know, great. If not, yes, cold-call auditions, Craigslist ads, and so on. I live about 30 miles outside Austin, so if I'm willing to commute, there are many opportunities available.

As for home studio gear -- I want to get a stand-alone mixer/hdd recorder/CD burner (much shallower learning curve for me), a couple of good microphones, a good set of headphones, a good set of reference speakers, and an effects processor. Also need a digital keyboard, and a bass guitar and preamp.

Maybe $2300 all told ... beer money.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I want to start a daily thread that isn't about PAWS, alcohol-induced drama, cravings, or relapse. Is there anybody else here who's recently sober and feeling ready to begin the process of getting on with life? 'Cuz that's part of recovery too, 'ya know!

Let's talk about what we're doing to reclaim our lives. Goals, interests, financial recovery, wellness, new friends, career aspirations, etc.

Let's be accountability partners to each other to make sure our statements and intentions get backed up by ACTION.

If you're game, jump in! I'll go first...

Great idea and thread, SoberinSyracuse.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great thread!! Funny stuff!!

Dating/relationships: Not gonna actively pursue this right now. On the other hand, if Johnny Depp shows up on my doorstep I will not turn him away. I mean, no need to be stupid about things, right?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thump: $2,300 should stack up pretty quickly w/o the beer hole in your pocket. My weekly booze consumption was $15/day. So, I should be 22*15 $$ richer now.

B-Cat: Ever hear of Conor McMillen? He has his own YouTube channel. He's a big time raw foodie who does personal coaching in wellness. The backstory is that three years ago he was addicted to alcohol/pills/nicotine. He attributes part of his recovery to eating a raw diet. Check out his channel! He's so uplifting!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thump: $2,300 should stack up pretty quickly w/o the beer hole in your pocket. My weekly booze consumption was $15/day. So, I should be 22*15 $$ richer now.

B-Cat: Ever hear of Conor McMillen? He has his own YouTube channel. He's a big time raw foodie who does personal coaching in wellness. The backstory is that three years ago he was addicted to alcohol/pills/nicotine. He attributes part of his recovery to eating a raw diet. Check out his channel! He's so uplifting!
Wow!! Just checked him out, very cool! Thank you so much for directing me to him. I will definitely be watching more of his videos!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Day, 2/1

Okay, so here's what I did today to make progress:

Fitness: I searched far and wide for a walking partner. No luck yet, so I'm committing tomorrow to hit the treadmill at the gym -- ALONE. Can't pin this on anyone else. It's on me to get this going. Please hold me accountable.

Finance: Made a Wednesday lunch date with a mortgage broker associate of mine who also does credit counseling. We'll discuss my debt consolidation options over spring rolls.

Friends/Hobbies: Wow, do we have some slim pickins here in Syracuse. Lots of booze-related meetups, and activities for children. Still, gotta forge ahead... "You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both." With that in mind, I joined an old-skool tabletop roleplay gaming club. Remember Dungeons & Dragons??

Miscellaneous: I went to the DMV and got my license restored. This officially sticks a fork in the DWI saga. It's over.

Tomorrow I will walk 30 minutes and meet with my personal finance coach.

How 'bout YOU?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, peeps. Hope you'll post on back since this isn't meant to be a personal diary but more of a group discussion. :-)

I hit the treadmill today for 30 mins, and the sauna for another 20. Also have a few leads on walking partners.

I met with the financial coach but he was pretty unfocused, which isn't going to work for me since I'm paying him a buck twenty five a session. He was spinning off into discussions about mindfulness and EFT stuff. So, I didn't schedule another appt with him.

I'm lunching tomorrow with an industry connection tomorrow who works in lending and we'll be kicking some ideas around about debt consolidation.

I'm down about a pound and a half for the week, which keeps me on track for my goal of 5 lbs/month. At that pace, I'll technically not be overweight in two months and back to my normal weight in about five.

So, how about you, Reader? What's on your radar, and what are you doing about it?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Sis,

1. Bills are all paid. I got a couple more today and checked to be sure that I'd already handled them. Done.
2. Laundry is in the washer and dryer. No running out of towels will befall this household!
3. I walk on average 2.5 miles per day during the week - to work and then to my group. When my middle kid starts talking with me again, I will convince her to help me to get the treadmill up to my room. Also have about 30 pounds to drop - down 10 from when I started stopping drinking early December.
4. Zero interest in dating. Zip, nada, zilch. That's ok by me. Maybe later.

For now, getting through four days/week where I walk out of my house at 0700 and return at 2130 are plenty enough to keep me busy. But I'm trying to make incremental improvements around the edges.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi SiS,

I have similar goals:

Weight loss: I have been doing Weight Watchers since January 1st, and today I got on the scale and I am down 10 pounds!! I still need to lose another 38, but it is a good start!

Financial: I am working on getting back on track after my husband was unemployed for a bit, and I was on disability. I am working with a debt consolidator for my credit card debt, and meeting with my 401k person tomorrow to restore my contributions which I stopped a few months ago.

Exercise: I have been walking, I need to add strength training and yoga in on a much more consistent basis.

Family: I have been much more present with my kids, and that is always a plus!

Mindfulness: This one is still a struggle for me. I am attempting to take the time to slow down and do this, and will continue.

This is a great post, looking forward to hearing from everyone else!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Obladi and Delilah - You guys are crushing it on the weight loss! It's inspiring! Okay, I'm turned up now.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great thread Sis.

1 Goal one sobriety for life.

2. My major goals are pretty much identical to your own . (Weight loss as you know I am down nearly 40llbs in 3 months suck that one up girl!)

3 I would love to be able to tick some things off of my bucket list, some are simple, some are pretty big :
  • take my youngest children to swim with the dolphins,
  • take swimming lessons to be able to swim with Dolphins, I can manage around 12 meters doggy paddle at the moment
  • learn to speak Spanish
  • offer a temporary home to a Syrian refugee orphan (through a government backed initiative)
  • visit the Incas with my eldest child
  • make an effort to go to the theatre more often to try and understand the appeal of Opera, Ballet and Classical Music
  • get to see the Rocky Horror Show once again in my lifetime and scream out the songs etc with the audience ( saw it once in my youth and didn't get it!)
  • have one of those glam make over things with a Professional photographer that makes you look 15 years younger than you are and like a top model and then blow it up giant size on my lounge wall lol lol
  • Get my dog to win a major agility title
  • Teach my dog agility. His agility at the moment is running away to hide his bone.
  • Join our local Pink Blouse Association. They work with terminally ill children on a voluntary basis.
I'll stop there. My bucket list is long long long!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"The Universe Rewards Correct Behavior..."

...I heard a colleague say this once and it resonated. And I tell 'ya, this principle was at work today!! It's UNHEARD OF for me to receive all the rent due me this early in the month. But I did. That means the checks that were gonna bounce, won't. The bills that weren't gonna get paid, will.

Finance: I had lunch with my mortgage broker buddy today and we talked about maybe refinancing my primary residence to pull some equity out. It's one more idea to explore!

Fitness: Can you believe I have shin splints from walking 30 mins yesterday???!!! Fortunately, it's not that intense so I expect to be back on the treadmill tomorrow.

Social: I made a coffee date with an old acquaintance for Friday morning. He's interested in walking. And also wants me to list his house for sale. Talk about killing three birds with one stone!!

Now, is anybody with me on this: Getting an earlier start?
I think my overall effectiveness would be ratcheted up if I got dressed and groomed earlier in the day. I do a lot of work from home in my bunny slippers. But once I'm fixed up, I just feel really "on my game." So, I want to sign up for being fully dressed and groomed no later than 10 am even on days when I don't need to leave the house until much later.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
  • take my youngest children to swim with the dolphins,
  • take swimming lessons to be able to swim with Dolphins, I can manage around 12 meters doggy paddle at the moment
  • learn to speak Spanish
  • offer a temporary home to a Syrian refugee orphan (through a government backed initiative)
  • visit the Incas with my eldest child
  • make an effort to go to the theatre more often to try and understand the appeal of Opera, Ballet and Classical Music
  • get to see the Rocky Horror Show once again in my lifetime and scream out the songs etc with the audience ( saw it once in my youth and didn't get it!)
  • have one of those glam make over things with a Professional photographer that makes you look 15 years younger than you are and like a top model and then blow it up giant size on my lounge wall lol lol
  • Get my dog to win a major agility title
  • Teach my dog agility. His agility at the moment is running away to hide his bone.
  • Join our local Pink Blouse Association. They work with terminally ill children on a voluntary basis.
I'll stop there. My bucket list is long long long!
So which are you attacking, Fab? I think you should go for the swim lessons so you're ready when the weather gets warm. Besides, great exercise!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sis and her sisters,

I am in, but off to bed now and want to think on my objectives while I snooze.

More tomorrow.

Great stuff.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Fully dressed by 10am?
Seriously? I hafta do that by 7am!
Are we talking weekends too? That's a horse of a different color.

Today I ate breakfast AND lunch - wooo.
And um, that's about it. Except for also I really kept my cool at work and not even because I tried but more because other things are more important to me right now than playing any silly reindeer games.