Notices

Freshly Sober And Getting On With Life! :-)

Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hi all! I really like this thread and I could seriously use some motivation these days. I've been in a rut and need to pick myself up out of it. I find that writing lists is the only way I'll get things done. I have the same big ones that I've read from many of you; weight, debt, sober friends, fitness.

Money is not going to get sorted right now cuz I'm off work injured so it will have to wait until I'm getting full pay cheques. I was doing pretty well getting out of debt but I did this crazy impulsive thing in the fall and bought a boat. It's a gorgeous boat and I got a fantastic deal but in reality I can't afford it, in fact when I bought it I didn't even have a license. I do now although I've still never actually driven a boat. Whatever I guess, I am looking forward to going out on the water this summer and I'm only getting to live this life once! It's my boat (and debt) now I might as well enjoy it. Still sometimes I question the decision.......

I should be getting more exercise and logically I know it will make me feel better but I can't seem to do more than think that I should get off my ass and move. So today I will do a youtube pilates workout.

A new social circle is the hardest. I have to think about that one.

I need a haircut and I've be procrastinating about it for weeks. That always boosts my mood. Going shopping at thrift stores in another small cheap thing to do that I find fun. Always nice to find a treasure.

Thanks for the thread SIS
Old 02-24-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Diet - End of "Loading" Days

VERY pleased to be wrapping up the "loading" phase of this diet. I'm looking forward to not feeling so stuffed. At this point, caloric deprivation sounds lovely.

Funny aside: I live in a 4-unit apartment building, which I own. One of my neighbor-tenants has a cat which sometimes sneaks out of her apartment. Well, kittycat timed the opening and closing of various interior doors this morning to somehow find her way into my apartment. So, I'm here with my Sheltie and a little cat, which I'm keeping safely until her owner gets home from work.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Zenchaser - Great idea about the youtube workout. I'm going to incorporate something like that. Can you post a link to one you think is good?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Who Wants To Do This Short Cardio Workout?

It's 15 minutes, low impact, bodyweight only. This guy's quite entertaining! Anyhow, this is going to be my workout tomorrow. I'll have to take it slow and probably rest a few times. Anybody else in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_mvtfDRFQ
Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I like both of these pilates workouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CpuDuXTrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XIse0xeT2w
Old 02-25-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Diet, Day 1

Today was the first day of the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) and I feel it working! I have a detox headache already from all the trace sugars I didn't consume today!

Also, I had the best intentions for exercise but found I was quite tired -- no surprise.

So, for a couple of days, the task at hand may be just to hang in with this diet until my metabolism adjusts.

Zen -- those are great links! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I agree that your body needs to learn to burn fat instead of carbs so you will be tired
until it adapts.

Good luck with the diet!
How is the plan going for getting rid of the obnoxious tenant who
doesn't do his chores?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
It's 15 minutes, low impact, bodyweight only. This guy's quite entertaining! Anyhow, this is going to be my workout tomorrow. I'll have to take it slow and probably rest a few times. Anybody else in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_mvtfDRFQ
I love these motivational videos. I must confess that I wake up at 6h30 to get the kids ready for school, put the exercise channel on the tv and just sit and watch and ogle at the hot guys leading the work outs whilst drinking my tea and munching my French bread with Nutella.

Maybe I should think about actually participating?!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I love these motivational videos. I must confess that I wake up at 6h30 to get the kids ready for school, put the exercise channel on the tv and just sit and watch and ogle at the hot guys leading the work outs whilst drinking my tea and munching my French bread with Nutella.

Maybe I should think about actually participating?!
What, and potentially miss out on the show?!

Welcome back!!!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Phew. So this is Day 2 of the megadiet. I was less tired today. Less tired, and 2.6 lbs lighter despite drinking 80+ oz of water yesterday. Dumping all the junk one encounters in the "Standard American Diet."

On another subject, today was not fun, so it's time to walk my talk and not give in to whining. It's rare for me to have a bad work day. In fact, this might be the first. Anyhow, I'm heading out to do whatever I can. Which, for now, looks like a game of Scrabble at a friend's house. Wish I could scrounge up some better plans but sometimes you just gotta make do in a pinch.

Attitude is everything and I'm choosing to brush this negativity off!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Back After Short Break...

Back after a day or two off this thread. As I mentioned, I've started The Diet, and it's pretty restrictive. As a result, I'm slightly less active and productive.

For now, getting through the first days/week or so of the diet is a good priority for me. It will feel FANTASTIC to get about 25 pounds off and back into my normal wardrobe. (Instead of the small set of "stretchy" stuff I'm currently trying to represent as trendy.)

Five pounds down already in these first few days of pretty intense detox. We'll see what the next few bring.

But in the meantime, don't hang back telling me what dragons YOU'RE slaying. Heck, you'll be my armchair motivation for a week or so!

P.S. Domestic dragons count.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I've placed a chalkboard in my bedroom to remind me of my priorities. This is so that the daily to-do list doesn't cause me to lose sight. The chalkboard says:
  • Retirement funding!
  • Relocation!

These are the "big rocks" which will make a difference five years from now.

The grocery shopping is also important, but that goes on a different list, on a piece of notebook paper, folded in my pocket.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Very quiet around here lately! Y'all still here?

Today I started doing some research in earnest on relocation. I started a spreadsheet to keep my research notes. One possibility is the metro Atlanta area, but there are others to investigate, too.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I am always around reading your threads.

Sounds like you are doing great.

My only question is why wait so long?? Sorry, but you don't really sound like a Syracuse gal...
Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
My only question is why wait so long?? Sorry, but you don't really sound like a Syracuse gal...
Hi, Dropsie! You're right -- Syracuse has never been a fit for me. I just wasn't able to do much about it being drunk the last few decades. Now I can actually plan and implement and that changes EVERYTHING!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Just been covered up at work trying to get caught up after my
7 week cold SiS

I think the chalkboard is a great idea-
What you focus on expands, after all. . .

Would you keep the fourplex for investment, or sell it?
That could be something to be working on when things firm up a bit.

How's the diet?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Sis, looks like you're trucking right along.

My stuff seems to be mainly internal (like in my brain) this week. Though the clothes thing is starting to happen and I'm digging that. It's nice to get the little "notices" once you start changing things up, no?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I am feeling very sorry for myself in the weight department because I have lost nothing -- in fact am bigger than ever.

Where did all those booze calories go??? I think it helped the first time I stopped, but this last time, nothing.

I checked out SIS' program but I am too afraid of anything with hormones -- the head of R&D at Glaxo scared the **** out of me by telling me that he would sooner shoot drugs than take any hormone -- even melatonin. That got my attention. Not to say its not great, just me be fraid.

I am into aruyveda and microbes so am going to do the hot belly/ whole 30 diet. Bottom line for me is that know what I need to do, its the doing it that is hard. And I never get much in the way of results but feel better so that is good.

Just putting you all on notice that I am joining the let SIS inspire you to get your act together club.

You all rock.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

For now, getting through the first days/week or so of the diet is a good priority for me. It will feel FANTASTIC to get about 25 pounds off and back into my normal wardrobe. (Instead of the small set of "stretchy" stuff I'm currently trying to represent as trendy.)

Same here lol!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am feeling very sorry for myself in the weight department because I have lost nothing -- in fact am bigger than ever.

Where did all those booze calories go???...

...I am into aruyveda and microbes so am going to do the hot belly/ whole 30 diet. Bottom line for me is that know what I need to do, its the doing it that is hard. And I never get much in the way of results but feel better so that is good.
I feel you, Dropsie. How the hell can we eliminate almost 1,000 kcals a day and not see some weight improvement? We are marvels of Nature.

My lay theory is that years of drinking mess up our metabolisms so badly that the "normal" methods used by others may not be adequate for us. I'm making progress, but it takes Herculean willpower.

I swear, I'm bringing almost as much steely-eyed determination to this as I did to quitting drinking!!

For me, I knew I was not going to be satisfied simply not drinking and spending my days in "recovery activities." I WANTED MY LIFE BACK. The whole enchilada. And pride in my appearance is the sour cream in that enchilada.

I don't know how you take your enchiladas, but I like mine with A LOT of sour cream!!

Let's look at it this way: If we kicked alcohol's a**, and we did, I pity anything that tries to drag us down. Jump on that hotbelly train and let me know how it goes!