Notices

Freshly Sober And Getting On With Life! :-)

Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 30 days !
Old 02-10-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I second soberwolf--congrats on your first 30 and a job very well done
on getting your life back on track so quickly.

Please do share the details of the diet stuff if you don't mind--
I'm battling the winter bulge also and having a really hard time
getting off the sugar since my last relapse.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
So here's how it's gonna go down: Once my most recent labs are back, I'm going to supplement specific amino acids to trick my brain and metabolism back into a normal status. We'll also do some simple dietary tricks. They expect me to return to my idea weight of 130 lbs within 40 days. (I'm currently 152.) I pointed out this was pretty aggressive but they said "Trust us; once your system's balanced, it'll drop fast."
What?!? I wanna do that!

Do tell.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Congratulations on 30 days, sis (I'm dropping the capitalization now that we're sober twins). You are doing an amazing job of it!

I think you may have read about dinner with the girls on my thread, but since you asked... it was just right. Mellow, quiet, pleasant. No big hoopla but I didn't want that - just wanted to spend a nice evening treating them to a nice meal. And that it was. I have leftovers if you want to stop over. Real Deal Italian.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thanks for the kudos everybody! So glad to not be wasting any more time on alcohol!

I have a phone appointment tomorrow to discuss my weight loss approach and I'll report how it goes. The main thing is it's going to be a professionally-designed approach tailored exactly to my biochemistry. These are the same wizards in Atlanta who treated my addiction so successfully, so they have a bit of credibility with me. I have become a true fan of individualized, naturopathic treatments over canned off-the-shelf treatments.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck with your apt
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Weight Loss Phone Appointment

As much as I discuss this, a casual reader might think me a whale! For the record, I'm about 10 lbs overweight, and about 23 lbs over my normal/ideal BMI of 23ish.

We're starting a generic version of the diet once the stuff arrives. The nutritional part of it is pretty obvious: high in protein, low in carbs, frequent small meals, and plenty of hydration. I'll be using something called Shape Reclaimed, a homeopathic product that helps with weight loss and is only available from a healthcare practitioner. I'm Googling this, and it sounds like this is a flavor of the HCG diet. They anticipate I'll lose 20-25 lbs in 40 days.

I did an HCG diet once before a cruise and it was very effective...and very unpleasant. All foods I despised.

But anyhow, it's just a matter of choosing what I want more. Yummy food for the next 6 weeks or my don't-hate-me-for-being-hot-in-my-late-forties body. Seems like a no-brainer.

Regaining this lost ground will, in a way, feel like eliminating one of the last vestiges of booze in my life. Some things will take time (finances, social life), but once all the balls are rolling in the right direction, I'll feel like I can officially place addiction in my history along with other formative life experiences I don't plan to repeat.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

OK I officially hate you now.

I thought I did with the JLo thing, but now its official.

Just joshing, you go girl.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Busy-ness vs. Productivity vs. Growth

Hi, all! Very busy these last few days and while I'm glad for the work, the frenetic pace is distracting and can easily cause me to lose sight of larger goals.

On the one hand, I'm SO grateful to be physically well enough now that I can keep up with a quick pace of business! However, I definitely aspire to more than just plugging away at day-to-day life.

Plugging away is what I'd call "busy-ness." Plugging away and making progress (for me, that's getting contracts signed) could be termed "productivity." But if you think about it, we can carry on like that forever and it's like running on a treadmill.

The trick is to maintain productive output (work done, house clean, bills paid, obligations fulfilled) but still have time and headspace to grow.

I love my work, but still need to push forward on the "growth fronts," especially the social life.

I'll be giving this some thought in the days ahead, and would love to hear your ideas...
Old 02-13-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Sis, I admire you and your ambition at this stage. I've heard this from people in my group as well and can only sit in wonder and a bit of envy at this.

For me, being productive at work, keeping up with the bills and the laundry and the groceries, planning and eating more healthy meals and staying sober are about all I can handle a month in. And frankly, I feel fine about that. If I happen to go out for a meal or walk an extra mile somewhere in that mix, it's a pleasant surprise or treat.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly lazy, if you're reaching too far, or if we're both just fine doing what we do. But I do admire you.

For my part, I'm ok with thinking about making possible plans.
This weekend, I may spend some time trying to plan a camping vacation for May or June. I do like planning so that I have something to look forward to, so that would be a good thing.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sis,

I read something Dee said recently about not worrying so much about the end game but enjoying the process. Loving the process, cause that is all we are is works in progress right.

I am so impressed by your drive, but don't expect too much from yourself too soon.

I am 150% convinced you will get there, but enjoy the ride.

For me, I am trying to focus on what is the loving thing to do -- for me, for others.

Love is patient, love is kind. Be patient and kind to yourself and the rest will come. I am sure.

On the practical side, if you are concerned that work is taking over, why not get up an hour earlier and put that time in the bank as "me" time. Then or later, you bought an hour.

And if the issue on your mind is your social life, devote your hour to that. I find that an hour devoted to anything makes a dent over time. Whoops, there goes that patience thing.....

PS. In my case, patience quickly becomes procrastination, but you don't seem to suffer from that...
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Dropsie I am a MAJOR procrastinator too. It is so annoying! How can we help each other?!
Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
On the practical side, if you are concerned that work is taking over, why not get up an hour earlier and put that time in the bank as "me" time. Then or later, you bought an hour.

And if the issue on your mind is your social life, devote your hour to that. I find that an hour devoted to anything makes a dent over time. Whoops, there goes that patience thing.....

PS. In my case, patience quickly becomes procrastination, but you don't seem to suffer from that...
Actually, I suffer more from procrastination than impatience. Impatience is when you want everything immediately. Procrastination is when you're not getting off your keester. That is SO easy for me, especially in the morning.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Sis,

I read something Dee said recently about not worrying so much about the end game but enjoying the process. Loving the process, cause that is all we are is works in progress right.

I am so impressed by your drive, but don't expect too much from yourself too soon.

I am 150% convinced you will get there, but enjoy the ride.
Good advice for many, but I'm a bit different. Obviously, a lot of people in early sobriety do need to convalesce, but I had a series of expensive treatments which worked as advertised and prevented every aspect of PAWS.

At this point, I truly do not need to lay back or take it easy. I'm healthy enough to rejoin life at the pace I personally prefer and enjoy, which is active and goal oriented. This is my "process" and "ride." This is how I do life. :-)
Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Dropsie I am a MAJOR procrastinator too. It is so annoying! How can we help each other?!
Yes, please, any advice on how to push pas procrastination. Please no suggestions on how to justify it -- I prefer to push past it and reap the rewards.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I have found this whole website--zen habits---to be helpful in many ways
but his posts on procrastination are particularly useful.
Here's a link to a couple, but there are others. . .

http://zenhabits.net/dead-simple-gui...ocrastination/

Procrastination is a Mindfulness Problem : zen habits
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I have found this whole website--zen habits---to be helpful in many ways
but his posts on procrastination are particularly useful.
Here's a link to a couple, but there are others. . .

Dead Simple Guide to Beating Procrastination : zen habits

Procrastination is a Mindfulness Problem : zen habits
But you see herein lies the problem. I have not read further than the first part of this link because it says :

"1. First make sure you really, really, really want to do it. Seriously – don’t skip this step."

My question is.. who wants to sit and spend hours paying bills, filing paper work and making endless phone calls never getting to speak to a human?

Who wants to go and work out, make their muscles hurt, feel their chest getting tight because they can't breath, sweat horribly, get red like a tomatoe and feel like they are 30 seconds away from a heart attack.. that can always wait until tomorrow right? I am never going to really really want to do that.

Who wants to get the soap and hot water and bristle brush out and spend hours washing down a slippy dirty deck when a week later it is dirty again?

Surely, the whole point of "not procrastinating" is finding the motivation to do the things that you really really do not want to do....???????
Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Funny Fabat, I read "want to do it" as "want to stop procrastinating", not wanting to
do what you don't want to do. . .
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Funny Fabat, I read "want to do it" as "want to stop procrastinating", not wanting to
do what you don't want to do. . .
Ha ha . I get it. That explains my problem then!!!!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

LOL, you guys are killin' me! I totally relate about the procrastination!