Notices

alcohol and marijuana

Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol and marijuana

I have used marijuana daily for about 12 years, and have been drinking about 12 beers a day for 7 years. I am slowly drinking less and less (about 7 a day now) and would like to quit because I'm afraid I may have damaged my liver already.

Since marijuana has virtually no ill health effects, I will continue to smoke as much as I used to while I try to quit drinking. It helps me sleep and has helped me cut back as well.

So my question is, has anyone else quit drinking successfully but continued to smoke pot?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Stopped the weed before the beers myself.

As to no ill effects... May want to do some research there.
Believe the lies or seek the truth.
If health issues are why you are stopping the beers, you most certainly will want to find the facts about ill effects of weed as well.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kev,
My ex quit drinking several times, but continued smoking dope heavily. He'd tell you today that it was the dope smoking that always got him back to drinking after a while. Kind of went like this..."Hey, a beer sure would taste good with this joint. Hey, might as well make it a twelve-pack." Then the next day, he would have a date with the Vodka bottle. It took him a long time, but he finally realized that he was a substance abuser and substances of any kind wreck his life. He's been clean for 19 months. Life is a lot better for him that way.
Just my two cents worth.
Gabe
Old 09-15-2004, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

DITTO WHAT BEST SAID.
I QUIT DRINKING AND DRUGING,THOUGHT IT WOULDN'T HURT TO SMOKE A LITTLE POT.
WASN'T LONG BEFORE I WAS RIGHT BACK DRINKING MORE THAN EVER.
I'M A ADDICT AND ALCOHOLIC,I CAN'T USE ANYTHING SAFLEY.
I HOPE YOU FIND AN ANSWER YOUR COMFORATABLE WITH.
LOTS OF SUPPORT HERE.GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE HERE.
......................ted
Old 09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Kev,

My own experience was that I wanted to drink more when I smoked pot. I would consider smoking pot to be a threat to my abstinence from alcohol, so I wouldn't do it even if it was readily available to me.

With regard to the toxicity of marijuana, Wikipedia has an overview here with some interesting links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana

The sources from agencies opposed to pot mostly focus on the behavioral issues rather than the physical effects, such as this group's info for parents:
http://theantidrug.com/drug_info/drug_info_mj.asp

Unfortunately, information about actual toxicity is mixed because of years of disinformation. Anything by Dr. Nahas, in particular, needs to be viewed very skeptically, and his information has been used by government agencies. Here's a review:
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/nahas1.htm

I agree with you that marijuana is safer than alcohol, and certainly safer than drinking 12 beers a day. Congratulations on cutting your drinking to 7 beers, and I hope you can continue to reduce your drinking or even consider abstinence. Just keep in mind that marijuana may relax your inhibitions...and having inhibitions against drinking might be in your best interest!

You might want to consider what it is that marijuana and/or alcohol are providing you mentally and emotionally, and seek other ways of attaining those effects that don't involve chemicals of any kind.

Don S
Old 09-16-2004, 02:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevXXX
So my question is, has anyone else quit drinking successfully but continued to smoke pot?
You mean the Marijuana Maintenence Program? LOL But seriously, yes I have quit drinking and kept smoking pot. Taken up drinking again, kept smoking pot, quit drinking, taken up drinking again...etc.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "successfully". If you had asked me while I was sober but stoned then yes it was of course an outstanding success!

Pot always seemed, to me, to be the harmless drug. Now I'm not so sure. In fact I am sure that it is incredibly dangerous to at least some people, some of the time and even disasterous at times.

If you are unharmed and enjoy it and don't have a problem with alcohol, I don't think you'll have a problem with this.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kev, yes I quit drinking in 1996. As for the pot, smoked more and more and more, till I eventually had to go to rehab and treatment centre for the pot. I don't kid myself, I know I can never go back to the alcohol either.

Sounds like your disease is bargaining with you. May the best man win.
Keep coming back
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Your replies were thoughtful and sincere.

I haven't tried quitting before and it scares me - but hoping I can still smoke gives me some "comfort". Thinking about those days when I'd get stoned and listen to music all night without a thought about alcohol seems like heaven to me right now. It's not gonna be easy but dammit I'm gonna try - who knows?
"How to Quit Drinking with Marijuana" may be coming to bookstores near you