Notices

Non alcoholic beer, wine, etc..

Old 01-31-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer, wine, etc..

I got the biggest urge to drink a beer or glass of wine last night, not to drink alcohol, just for the taste of it as I was out shopping to go home and have dinner. I looked at the Odouls and some alcohol removed wine, but ended up just buying juice. Does anyone drink this non alcohol stuff just for the taste? I looked for a while and decided not too, as it was like $6 and the juice was $1.50 lol, but I didnt want the alcohol in my system at all, just wanted to have a "drink" with dinner.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

When I get a beer craving, I'll have an O'doul's. Not a problem. Any N/A wine I've had tastes like $%^&.

There's natural alcohol in your OJ.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I drink NA beer once in a while on weekends or at parties or bars and don't have a problem with it. I think O'Doul's is foul tasting but there are actually some good ones out of Germany like Clausthaler. The party line in recovery circles and AA is that you shouldn't drink NA beer or wine since it is likely to cause you to switch to the real thing. That is not my experience but I'm sure others will come along soon to tell you why.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

After decades of drinking only alcohol, coffee, and milk, I'm definitely seeking and experimenting with new "recreational" drinks.

If you like plain juice, you're all set. For me, I don't care for the taste of non-alkie beer or wine, and I still don't really enjoy water or juice. So, I'm enjoying "mocktails." I like the complex aromas and flavors that can be pulled out of fresh ingredients and spices. My favorites are the virgin mojito, virgin Irish coffee, and of course virgin Mary.

If you're looking for a more sophisticated flavor or more festive drink, try doping up your juice with some muddled fresh fruits and spices. And be sure to post some recipes.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I've had a couple of NA beers and they're not triggering for me. But even the better ones aren't that great. They taste like sweet malt with not enough hops. I find club soda with lime to be my go to non-alcoholic drink.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live in Belgium and we have decent fake bubbles and beer, but agree with Sober that my fav is a non-alcoholic mojito.

None of it triggers me. But others may have another view.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That stuff is not for me.
I have taken to apple or other sort juices,water and sometimes room temperature V-8 with some hot sauce mixed in.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Nope. I never drank for the taste. My 2 cents is non-alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics.

-allan
Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK and I really dislike the taste the non-alcoholic substitute stuff I've tried.

I find red or white grape juice, especially a good quality one, is good for taste. Also a drink we have here called Ame (fruit juice, sparkling water and herb extracts) or ginger beer which you can get here as a non-alcoholic soft drink/soda.

But there may be arguments against drinking things like this due to high sugar content (fermenting in your tummy) or taste associations.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it was a slippery slope.
Originally Posted by me, lots
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D

__
Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
After decades of drinking only alcohol, coffee, and milk, I'm definitely seeking and experimenting with new "recreational" drinks.

If you like plain juice, you're all set. For me, I don't care for the taste of non-alkie beer or wine, and I still don't really enjoy water or juice. So, I'm enjoying "mocktails." I like the complex aromas and flavors that can be pulled out of fresh ingredients and spices. My favorites are the virgin mojito, virgin Irish coffee, and of course virgin Mary.

If you're looking for a more sophisticated flavor or more festive drink, try doping up your juice with some muddled fresh fruits and spices. And be sure to post some recipes.
What do you put in your virgin mojito's and Virgin Mary SIS?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I avoid NA beer -- don't want any potential triggers happening. I like mineral water with a squeeze of lime.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried non-alcoholic beer many years ago before
Old 01-31-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This phone is so screwed, I can't wait until I can get a new one in a few weeks.

Anyhow, I tried non-alcoholic beer several years ago when I was at a party with my ex-husband during pregnancy and it was just pretty gross to me. No appeal whatsoever.

I don't particularly have a go-to drink to curb cravings - I just grit my teeth and plunder along until they pass because for some reason they've been coming on pretty strong the last few weeks and it's been a doozy - but I'm digressing - I do like sparkling juices on drinking occasions because they still give it that little oomph of "special" - New Year's Eve I'd found some blueberry sparkling juice and it was fantastic - between my son and I (and a little sip for my boyfriend) we knocked out the whole bottle lol

Also I saw mentioned above mocktails, I've enjoyed a few of those at the more upscale restaurants - I like how they were described above as the complexity of flavors - that was pretty spot on.

And last night at dinner there was a "cotton candy Shirley temple" on the menu and y'all that thing was good! The bf and I nearly made ourselves sick on them because the server was bringing them out one after another when she saw our glasses were nearly empty...had probably six or seven each. It was a Sprite with a tuft of cotton candy on the top of the glass and push the cotton candy in so it lands on top of the Sprite and melts and it turns all pink and extra yummy. The booth behind us ordered some when they saw them brought to our table I legitimately thought somewhat along the lines of if I were still drinking I would have never tried one (and wondered what other non alcoholic drinks I've missed over the years and remembered taking my mother to breakfast at the same restaurant once and drinking White Russians at 10 am :/ )
Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another juice combo I found I really enjoy is cranberry with a lime wedge - the sourness of the lime seems to cull the bitterness of the cranberry and what's left is a lightly sweetened glass of chilled refreshment. It didn't have a heavy syrupy sweetness that a lot of juices seem to have
Old 02-01-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do go to a place where they do a lot of nice things with mint.

Almost any drink tastes more exotic with bit of mint.

I am the same with coriander/cilantro in my food -- can put it in the oddest things...
Old 02-01-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
My 2 cents is non-alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics.
This time last year I would have disagreed with that but when I am trying to break all the bad life habits formed around years of drinking the last thing I need are the old familiar tastes creeping back in.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank beer to get drunk...period. So I've never seen the reason for N/A beer.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I still like to put it in the spoon and heat it up.
I even tie my arm off for old times sake.

That's what I think of NA Beer.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer and wine is for non alcoholics.

Plus, several years ago, I tried the wine. It tastes like garbage!