Notices

This sucks

Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This sucks

Well, today sucked. I am nearly six months sober, and I have started applying for jobs. I had an interview today, and the VERY FIRST question I was asked was, "what's up with AA and NA?" WTF? I thought that was anonymous. Apparently someone "spilled the beans" and that sucks. I gave a really generic response and tried to move on, but is sucks that this person knows that I'm in the program.

Sorry for venting!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Geez, where do you live? It's been a while since I interviewed or hired people, but I'm guessing that person broke some kind of law even asking that question.

ETA: Check out #10 on this list...

10 Questions Employers Can't Ask You In A Job Interview
Old 01-29-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Ariesagain, I don't think that is a question that is allowed to be asked on an interview. Sorry that happened.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How on earth would they know? Are they not complete strangers?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I can tell you from personal experience as a business manager that that question is not allowed. Perhaps a word with the HR Dept, or this guy's supervisor, would be I order if you aren't called back.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree that it isn't legal to question someone that way. Companies with 15 or more employees must abide by the Disabilities Act. Recovering alcoholics or drug addicts are covered by that Act.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats a really nasty experience and simply not acceptable. BUT don't let it undo all the great work you've put in...6 months sober - wow!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I would have stood up and walked out of the building. What gall to ask such a personal question!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the responses! I agree this is 100% illegal - I'm a f****** attorney. I live near Pittsburgh, and I know this person heard from my sponsor. That is the only possible connection. I will not let this derail my sobriety, but I am bummed this happened.

Thanks again for the support! It means more than you know. I'm sitting up tonight watching Netflix and concentrating on NOT getting a bottle from the store.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow -- now that is bad. From your sponsor-- really...

I am also a lawyer and know that you probably won't report this, and maybe should not say anything until you know if you get the job in this market, but I feel your pain.

Really, really bad.

Only thing that would be worse would be to drink over it.

6 months is major. You got this.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

Wow. Maybe he heard from your ex-sponsor. Seriously though, that deserves a serious conversation.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would have said something like: "Oh, we were just discussing your situation..."
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SobrieTee View Post
I live near Pittsburgh, and I know this person heard from my sponsor. That is the only possible connection.
Now that's some BS. Will you be having a discussion with your sponsor about this? I know I would.

Originally Posted by SobrieTee View Post
I will not let this derail my sobriety, but I am bummed this happened.
Keep on keepin' on.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If true (your sponsor telling the interviewer), it's a HUGE betrayal of trust! Find out for certain, and then maybe have a serious conversation with your sponsor.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened but I'm glad you're not letting it derail you SobrieTee

D
Old 01-30-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By asking that question you have been DIRECTLY discriminated against. If you wanted to take it further you could, you would probably even win some money and the person would lose their job.

But may be it is one of these things to chalk up as an unpleasant experience. There are dumb people everywhere. Maybe just write that interview of, be grateful that you did not end up working with that person and tell yourself you will find better.

Makes my blood boil honestly.

Good luck with the job search.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Geez, where do you live? It's been a while since I interviewed or hired people, but I'm guessing that person broke some kind of law even asking that question. ETA: Check out #10 on this list... 10 Questions Employers Can't Ask You In A Job Interview
Interesting...if they can't ask, how do they get away with screening for nicotine??
Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

What happened to the Anonymous in Alcoholics Anonymous? I wouldn't bother discussing this with the sponsor. I'd fire the sponsor. That is a completely unacceptable violation of your trust.

And as for the interview, I submit to you than THEY flunked the interview and showed themselves unqualified to be your employer for obvious reasons.

Withdraw your application and keep looking. Really. You can do better.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I thought about posting this and decided to because you have that most dangerous of things, a justified resentment. It is from the Big book of Alcoholics Anonymous and it is discussing a little of the fourth step, taking personal inventory. I post it because most of the other responses seem to be more about getting even or getting retribution, blaming them and they etc., than about getting on with a sober life. I hope it gives a little perspective.

" The first thing apparent was that this world and its people were often quite wrong. To conclude that others were wrong was as far as most of us ever got. The usual outcome was that people continued to wrong us and we stayed sore. Sometimes it was remorse and then we were sore at ourselves. But the more we fought and tried to have our own way, the worse matters got. As in war, the victor only seemed to win. Our moments of triumph were short-lived.

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die."
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introspectator View Post
Interesting...if they can't ask, how do they get away with screening for nicotine??
Nicotine screening is done for health-insurance purposes. It is not performed, here in America, as a determinant in the hiring process.