Notices

Did you get sober for anyone?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you get sober for anyone?

I quit so that I could have a chance at a healthy life with someone I like quite a bit.

He's an enabler so I knew that I could have kept drinking every day and just gone on that way while we are together.

And then I was looking at FB one day and I saw all these wedding pics of someone and I thought if I want a chance at that or anything resembling it, I have to stop now.

I think I'll get a lot of "You have to stop for YOU" kinda responses but I stopped for "Us".

He was a weekend binge drinker for many years who chose alcohol sodden weekends over dating until we met as well.

How about you guys?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sleepie,
when you quit to have a chance at something, to have possibilities...i think that's quitting for you. whether that involves others or not.

you want that shot at things.

glad you're here.

Last edited by fini; 01-28-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: oh: i quit for me. to have a chance. possibilities.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you quit for yourself, so that you can have a chance at a healthy relationship.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that if it helps motivate you to get started, use it! It might not be appropriate motivation to stay sober - that may truly has to be for your self in the long run.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to just wish someone cared enough about me to intervene. I am kinda floored when people say their families or loved ones want them to stop or help them to stop and they don't. I don't understand but I never had anyone participate in my recovery but me. BF's an enabler so eventually dietary changes and exercise will be up to me too...

It gets kinda annoying tho because he will follow my lead. I don't wanna be in charge. I want him to make his own decisions or get his own ideas lol!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks fini I am glad I am here too and hope I will be long enough to really enjoy life
Old 01-28-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I stopped for me, but part of that was to make myself a better husband and father too. So I think it's fine to have multiple reasons/motivations to get and stay sober.

I would warn against using Facebook to be a barometer of how happy others are though. I personally shut down my FB account a few years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got talked into it. I was off it for quite awhile.
But it did oddly get me on the track to where I am today.
I guess it was a case of jealousy turned for a good cause (or wistful thinking really as I am not jealous of the people in the pics)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Did it for me it was the most selfish thing I did. But un doing so everyone around me inadvertently benefited and I'm happy about that too.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Ultimately I did it for myself, but I don't think I would have succeeded if my wife hadn't quit at the same time.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm all for whatever works for you to get some time sober but ..

What happens if or when it doesn't work out with you and this other person.
Seems maybe like a built in clause to drink.
___

I quit for my own well-being.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I did it for me. I wanted to be the kind of person who would naturally attract good things and good people. One of the things I'd like to do someday is get married again. And that can't happen (at least not in a healthy way) unless I'm sober and healthy myself.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think so Blacky we both want to get married.

I'm pretty done with it all too though there's no convincing you or anyone.

His family actually intervened on him. He was annoyed. And didn't think he was a big drinker despite having woken up with a broken leg once and no recollection how it happened... and he drove home...

It was many many years ago. His solution was to stay in and not drive while drinking.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know if I quit for anyone or not honestly.

There were several false starts after making a huge fool of myself and swearing off in a failed attempt to repair the damage.

A lot of it had to do with my son. He doesn't deserve to grow up having to deal with a drunk for a mother - all of my earliest memories of my parents involve them being loaded. I remember my mother standing in her wedding dress throwing up off the side of the porch...what away to ring in the nuptials.

Some of it had to do with me. Alcohol was killing me and I went through a period where I decided if it was killing me I was goi g to let it and got a lot worse...but it didn't so that probably led to sobriety also...realizing that I wasn't going to just did so the only alternative was to quit.

Then there's some of my boyfriend in there. He shouldn't have to deal with a drunk either.

So there's not really a whole specific answer there. Ultimately though I don't think it was for me...but it was most definitely for my kid.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I honestly didn't plan to either...I just woke up one morning (September 19th) and said "that's $&@<&euro;?$ it!!!!!!!" And haven't looked back
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's great Kallistia congrats on over 4 months
Old 01-28-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
now's the time

I definitely quit for me. Every time. But this time my family was in the mix, and it really helps to be staying sober not just for me. I think I struggle more when I think I'm only hurting myself.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
now's the time

PS, congrats on the marriage plans I didn't realize you were that serious! That's great news.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
PS, congrats on the marriage plans I didn't realize you were that serious! That's great news.
This
Old 01-29-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

It was either quit or die, so I guess I did it for me, but my friends and family are awfully glad that I chose to live.