Notices

I can handle caffeine again

Old 01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can handle caffeine again

All of a sudden I can handle caffeine again. This was giving me that rattled feeling before and sweats and nervousness. But this week I have been drinking regular and dark roast and it's fine. It does not wake me up at all but I don't get those nastier side effects and it tastes good.

Now I used to be fueled on beer and coffee, coffee all day and beer at night but somewhere there my body said "No" to caffeine.

I'm not gonna question it I'm just gonna go ahead and think my brain's sorting itself out after physical dependency on benzos and alcohol.

So take that brain. Quit nagging about stuff to be worried about and I'll get us another iced coffee.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That's great!

I cut mine way back to work on my blood pressure. Maybe two normal size cups a day instead of the 12 cup pot I used to drink.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

lol yeah i had the same issues with caffine but sometimes you just gotta!. I hate to drink it but i've embraced a cup of regular a day. no more then that tho becuase anymore then that i get totally wacked out in my head and shake and all that nonsense.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow maybe this is just a small window period but I'm taking it for all it's worth. I didn't know coffee affected blood pressure
Old 01-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't want to have to give up my coffee. I remember when I was drinking I had to give it up cause I was going thru w/d every morning and the caffeine made the w/d anxiety worse. When I got sober, I could enjoy my coffee again.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I couldn't drink coffee in early sobriety. Then I started having half-caf. I did that for about eight months - but just one or two a day.

I went back to full caf at 18 months, but still no more than two a day. Otherwise I get side effects like withdrawal headaches.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was never big on coffee when I was drinking but I told a friend of mine that Ifelt so drained from not ddrinking(my friend is who helped me become sober)her advice was to have a cup of coffee especially since I wasnt big on it she thought it would definitely bring my energy up,I drunk some and felt super jittery,everytime I would go to sit I had this urge to get back up,I felt like I was widening my eyes on purpose,I lost my appetite,felt really dehydrated and nauseous,every morning I felt like this for 3 days after that 3rd day I gave up,dont know what it was about that coffee,maybe I brewed it too long but im not caffeine sensitive because Ican drink pepsi and I feel nothing like that but everyone is different

stepfanie!!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it does still make me sweat but I guess I am just a sweaty person. I feel pretty, oh so pretyyyy
Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I am physically active -- like I have been this week shoveling snow -- I can drink all the coffee I want with no side effects and no problems sleeping.

If I am stressed out -- say, before a big presentation at work -- I have to limit myself to one cup to keep my hands from shaking. I don't avoid coffee completely because that would give me a headache.

So, I think it just depends.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont know how anyone stays sane without coffee. You're amazing! I drank a lot of coffee when I was drinking and I still drink a lot of coffee. Doesn't affect me in any negative ways unless I have it later in the day. Then I cant sleep. Unfortunately, sweating is the price we pay!

Delfin
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am already thinking about tomorrow's coffee. It's my latest joy. Simple pleasures I guess.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you.

Coffee and a croissant...
Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep, I need my cuppa daily as much for the ritual and taste as the pep

Enjoy sleepie. . . I think you will keep finding things do get better the longer
you are sober
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I am already thinking about tomorrow's coffee. It's my latest joy. Simple pleasures I guess.
YUP!

thats one thing about being sober I hit a point where i was like welp i better enjoy this cause its all i got ! i started to find some stuff more enjoyable then ever before.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another day another caffeinated day
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drink plenty of caffeine.

I sleep like a kitten.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't have a lot of caffeine because I don't drink a lot of tea or coffee not by choice just the way I am but I am happy for you Sleepie
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are finding something you can enjoy/look forward to Sleepie. For some reason my body still reacts to caffiene much more than it ever did when I was drinking, Even just one cup of full strength winds me up and jacks up my anxiety. I usually do half-caff or decaf as I still love a hot cup of something in the morning.