Notices

Delimna or Delimma

Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delimna or Delimma

Ok I have a delimma or delimna depending upon where you learned English. Since I first got sober part of my MO has been not to force situations and go along with life in general. It has really worked. Since getting sober my life has been on an upward trajectory business and personel wise. I am a self employed consultant. I had a job offer where the owner of a company essentially allowed me to name my price, within reason,to work for his company. This week was my first week working for this new company. Delimna is even though I am getting paid really well I hate it. Everything about it tells me to run out the door. They are not mean to me it just feels off. What would you do? Am I compromising my original MO? Am I being petty?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Depends on what your goals are and if you need/want the money. Also are these people going to look good on your resume and lead to something better?

That's the only reason I'm keeping my low paying job that kinda makes me ill.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not need the money. It's just security. However, the part of what I am trading was what I really want to do. The people I am working for I get the feeling are only interested in money itself. I could be slightly presumptuous I just have this feeling. It's difficult though. In an industry if the pay range was between A - Z and you were offered Z what would you do? Who doesn't want to make Z?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go with your gut.. Do the old pro's vs cons on a piece of paper.. One thing I would do is be honest and have very open communication with the new firm, have a 1x1 with your manager, tell him your concerns early on.. and don't work anywhere even if it's for Z that might put your soberity at risk!!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

My rule is to give it six months. Chances are he employed you because he's not happy about the company, so stick around, observe and stay very fact-based and business-like. More may be revealed.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dilemma.

I did the consultant thing for a while. I always saw my role to be an agent of change. That's what owners expected of me.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm self-employed now (and happy) after a couple of decades of high-paying corporate jobs. It comes down to personal preference. Give the new job a chance and let yourself acclimate to it. Being an employee is very different than being your own boss. If, after a while, it still doesn't feel right, go back to your previous work.

It's super-important to love what you do!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Humbled

I am sincerely humbled by the quality of responses I continually receive. Anyone who says drunks do not have anything to contribute are crazy. LOL! I always can get at least one additional angle on a situation I have never considered. Thanks Again!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

We're addicts, not idiots.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't want to make Z.

Money has never brought me happiness.

I want to be happy not wealthy and miserable.

If my bills are paid and I have a bit left over each month I am content.

We recently had a man murdered here because he won a substantial amount in a lottery (substantial to me but maybe not to others, it was not more than a million) anyway long story short after his name was in the news there was a home invasion and he was killed due to said winnings.

Money is a thing that comes and goes but happiness really is free
Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Tough call.

On the one hand, I was told early on )and found it to be true many times in life) 'if something seems too good to be true, then usually it is.'

On the other hand, another thing I was told was 'don't expect work to be fun and what you want to do every day. If it was, then you'd be paying them to do it and not the other way around.'

But if you have the choice of where to work, then that not such a bad dilemma / dilemna (however you choose to spell it).

Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Mmm. Well I a writer, and has always struggle with monies versus "job hate" situations (I has write FOR booze!). I mostly always choose the monies, cuz I figure monies will finance non-hate situations later. But my projects is more short term. If was longer term, I say follow you heart. I mean, you survive a deadly affliction, why not go for it?