Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to estimate how long recovery will take

Notices

Is there any way to estimate how long recovery will take

Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

According to a Phychiatrist who has worked with Alcoholics in my home city,it takes between 5 and 7years for an Alcoholic's mind to recover.

It certainly took that long for me.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It depends what you mean by recovery. Freedom from alcohol which for me means no desire to drink, no obsession about booze, and the freedom to go anywhere unrestricted by the presence of alcohol or living in fear of alcohol, where alcohol no longer controls and manipulates my life even when I am not drinking, is no longer a factor in my decision making, that took me nine steps, which in my case took three months.

There is no recovery from life however. It just comes, alcholic or not. But, freed of the alcoholic obsession, I was able to grow and develop as a normal human being, albeit one that got off to a slow start. Emotional and spiritual growth is a lifetime journey which we alcoholics are often inclined to think of as recovery, except it is a journey that the whole human race is on. It's not unique to alcoholics.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I was one of the lucky ones. The obsession was lifted immediately (we are talking like within a week). It does not mean that I do not get a fleeting thought once in a while though but it is extremely rare. In general, if I get angry or stressed out I will crave a cigarette or chocolate.

The fact that my AV is basically non existent means for me that I cannot get complacent. I know from experience because a strong urge to drink popped out after 5 years of sobriety like a jack in the box and I was absolutely not equipped to handle it and relapsed.

If you have not done so yet, I would recommend you check out Dee's post on urge surfing
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack465 View Post
Once we get and stay sober?

I know it's probably different for each person, but in a thread I posted before, someone mentioned a timeframe of 3 to 6 months to start feeling recovered or close to it. Is that in the right ballpark? Or are there too many different factors to give an estimate?
The Big Book says we recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body when we stop drinking. Don't confuse the term "recovery" or "recovered" with "cured". We're never "cured"!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Jack 465,
Attaboy on the 40 days. It is so close to a breakthrough. If you can just make it to 60 I bet things will start to turn around. The early days are so hard!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
Hey Jack 465,
Attaboy on the 40 days. It is so close to a breakthrough. If you can just make it to 60 I bet things will start to turn around. The early days are so hard!
Thanks
Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I heard a man at a meeting once who was in his 70's and had 30 plus years sobriety say

"The desire to drink has been lifted for many years now, I am here to mind my mind"
I found that quite helpful
Old 01-22-2016, 01:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mountainmanbob;5752066]

What do we recover from ?

Our past.

May take a while.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack465 View Post
Yep, pretty much that.

I haven't been able to make it past about 40 days, it's looking like it will take a lot longer than that.
welp, for me i cant say how long it was before the craving and compulsion left, but it was 6 months before i made a full 24 hours without thinking about alcohol.
it was well worth fighting through the days i couldnt go 1hour without thinking about it.