Notices

Addiction counselling

Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction counselling

When I talked to my doctor about my drinking problem, she didn't recommend AA meetings, she recommended addiction counselling. I'm not sure exactly what this involves. What will they say to me? How will they help me stop drinking?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is free.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jack, I see an addictions counselor weekly, go too AA, this forum, AA Online, research things about recovery from numerous sites, and I see a therapist to deal will some emotions from childhood that have been a significant contributor to this sickness that I never dealt with.

An addictions counselor at least here, they are trained in addictions, how it works with the brain, suggestions that in their experience work to recover based on your needs, I have seen a few over the years and in my experience each one was a stepping point to get me to where I am today, sober and enjoying life, free from waking up feeling like crap, I actually remember what I did today, yesterday, last week...not longer do I have blackouts. They are in my experience very, very helpful.

I think all of what I am doing is working together and I have never been one to put all my eggs in one basket.

The ones that I have seen have a background in physiology as well, very helpful as they dig to see where/when this started and perhaps why, then give you tools to help you stay sober.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Professional counseling and group support is great if you have that opportunity. Check it out, if you don't find it useful you can stop going. I learned a tremendous amount from outpatient treatment that I'd never get in a community support group meeting like AA.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I was in counseling for other reasons and happened to mention, as an aside, that I'd tried to give up drinking and failed. Turns out my counselor had a background in addiction treatment and within a few weeks had helped me kick alcohol for the longest period I'd ever been able to achieve.

It's not been an uninterrupted life of sobriety for me since then. But I'd only achieved a few days in a row before. With his advice I've only had a few days here and there since that I've not been sober. Maybe your doc thinks you are a good candidate for this.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

It depends. They come in 31 flavors, so you'll want to interview several to find out what their specific expertise is, what modalities they use, and what their personal experiences and beliefs are about addiction.

For me, I prefer ones that are a) recovering themselves and/or b) experts in the physiology of addiction. They seem to know exactly how the addiction bomb is wired, and how to defuse it.

I had a disappointing experience in the spring when I was released from detox and specifically requested a non-AA counselor. First session, guess what I heard? Nothing but Big Book quotes. Not a fit.

Here in Atlanta, I've been coached by a recovering alcoholic who shares my evangelical beliefs. His experiences and what he has to say speak deeply to me. As a result -- Fantastic insights, encouragement, and progress in just a little over a week.

So definitely shop around and find the one that works perfectly for YOU, I think a counselor could be very helpful, in addition to a sober community like AA or whatever you choose.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would say, just be open to help in whatever form. Shutting people out and trying to have all the answers got me absolutely nowhere. Being willing to listen and being humble enough to admit defeat was the beginning of healing for me.

We are here, too! Lean on us.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jack,
I second what JeffreyAK posted...IOP (intensive out patient) treatment really helped me out. I do go to AA also, but the knowledge I gained in IOP is something I wouldn't have learned in the rooms. Most, if not all the leaders in my IOP were in recovery themselves. I am still in the continuing care program there a year later. I would highly recommend IOP if you are just starting out in addition to AA, and of course SR! Best Wishes
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I saw an addiction counselor for the first five or six years of my recovery. She was really good at her job and helped me a lot, in all areas of my life. If counseling is available to you, give it a good try.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I saw a psychologist who specialized in addictions counseling 2x a week for many many months. I could not have done this alone, and I chose not to participate in 12 step programs. I'm sure therapy is tailored to each individual, so there's really not a way to say "this will happen", but I know for me- he really spent some time getting to know me, kind of conducted an interview of my life experiences, saw where some trouble areas were, took a look at my existing (ok, non-existant) coping skills, taught me new ones, helped me learn new relaxation techniques and coping strategies, and recommended several books, some of which I loved, some I was sort of ho-hum about. It's a process.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
AA is free.
I'm pretty sure this is too, I'll have to double check.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

They will offer suggestions tbh having a recovery plan will help immensely good luck