Notices

It's better if I just leave AA

Old 01-18-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

One thing I've come to feel about AA is calling myself the problem which is sometimes true via my behavior - "me" being the whole problem with my disease is not true and saying so to try to sound mature can promote shame and a sense of over-responsibility which can lead me to rescuing others and many other problems. I sought relief because I took abject abuse growing up. That was my parents' problem and that of some others around me. That's why I picked up.

There was a time when nothing was wrong with me at all. I was a sweet little kid created perfectly in God's eyes.

The main thing is that I now have a solution to get back to that being I was born as.

I also used many substances before and other than alcohol but I do drink alcoholically so I'm a real alcoholic.

I respect AAs traditions. I only identify as an alcoholic in meetings and I only talk about alcohol. Sometimes I will briefly mention "other addictions" or "chemicals" but not by name and I don't talk incessantly about them. I really appreciate All-Addictions Anonymous because I can talk about any substance.

AA needs to stay forever as is for the alcoholic who still suffers. I don't want to change that due to my own selfishness.

I see members go to extremes on this, either talking a lot about other substances - or the other type who always seem to have a lense on the lookout for those who "aren't real alcoholics". I want to stay out of this controversy so I just follow traditions. I do need reminders so I'm grateful it's been brought up here again.

Last edited by WMJ1012; 01-18-2016 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Darned IPhone