Notices

2nd DUI.....

Old 05-28-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are still sober and congrats on 73 days! Thanks for checking in too, sounds like you are making good progress, I too hope you can benefit from the counseling sessions. Make the most of any opportunity to support your sobriety and you will go far. Look at how far you've already come in 73 days!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I read your whole thread Justinn. 73 sober days is wonderful. I wish you the best in continuing your sobriety. What positive things have you noticed in your life from not drinking? Stay close to SR Justinn. It will motivate and inspire you to remain sober. I wish you the best.
Well for starters I'm finally sleeping again and by that I mean I'm getting good rest each night as opposed to fake passed out sleep you get as a drunk. I've also recently noticed I actually look forward to certain things now that I didn't before. Hard to explain. I guess I'm just generally happier and in a better mood nowadays. Before it was always about that next high and that's all I really got happy/excited about. It's going to sound weird, but before I honestly used the thought of alcohol to keep me in a good mood. I don't think I really looked forward to or was genuinely excited very many about things.

For instance, in my drinking days, at work I would often find myself thinking about drinking that night and instantly that thought would put me at ease and in a better mood. Or maybe say I would go have dinner with family on a Saturday night... I wasn't actually that happy to be there with them. In my mind the whole time I was thinking about getting home as soon as I could so I could get drunk. Obviously, I'm not like that anymore. Matter of fact I called my mom a couple weeks ago and asked if she wanted to go out for dinner.. something I never would've done before as it would have interfered with drinking. And it was actually nice to see her.

Obviously though some things go hand in hand there. You stop drinking and you have to relearn a way of life and find things to do to keep you busy and your mind off booze(which is still hard for me).

But I can say I am a happier person and it is nice genuinely looking forward to things in life instead of revolving everything around alcohol. Everything I did before my next drink was simply something I had to do to get to that drink. Now I do things because I WANT to. You know what I mean?

Health wise, my mind is a lot clearer now than it was. That's for sure. I was hoping to have dropped a few pounds without the excess calories of alcohol, but that doesn't work when you replace those calories with food and sugary drinks. Lol. Oh well... I'll get there eventually.

Anyway, to say the least, yes there have been many positives and things I didn't list either. Still a work in progress, but I'm slowly starting to feel like my old sober self at least mentally.

Also, thanks Scott! Wish you the best as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

If my experience is any guide, in time you'll find you won't think about alcohol much at all Justinnn

congrats on your progress and sober time

D
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I couldn't agree with Dee more, justinnn. I thought the day would never come, but it rarely crosses my mind now. Hard to imagine that I once lived for it.