Notices

need help and fast

Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

there was a lady at my aa meeting who'd show up with her kids routinely. another guy last tme showed up wtih his young boy last time i was in and he got 90 days that night. I sat there thinking how AWESOME he's there despite the circumstances he must be facing.

I didnt have a problem myself either and thought for gosh a good 8 or 9 months that i was keeping my little drinking problem a secret as recovered and remained sober. I finally talked to the kids about it after various questions and it was no secret at all that i Ha d aproblem. The only one i was fooling was myself the whole time.

Anyhow fast forward my kids are happy i'm sober now and such and dont want me any other way.

it can and will work out just get to aa or something as soon as you can.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jva - I hope you'll stay with us and post/read some more. You can reclaim your life. Everyone here understands what you're going through. It really helps to talk about things with people who have been where you are. Never give up on having a better life.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome jva. Here's my suggestion. Get hungry for sobriety. Read "the promises" from the big book. Read them every day. Stop drinking and read them. When you're ready to go to aa then go. In the meantime take action and don't drink.
There's one thing myself and others here can positively assure you and that is sobriety is better than staying drunk. Trust us.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good luck with your meeting on Friday.

I def think chatting to the doctor would be a good idea as well.

Also, look into childcare possibilities in your area. You don't need to tell the child carer where you're going - if it's people who it's not their business where I'm off to, I say that I'm meeting some friends for coffee. There's a room full of friends, and I've never seen so much coffee drunk, so that's pretty much true anyway . Your AV (addictive voice) will likely point out the issue of child care costs to you at this point. Kindly remind your AV that you won't be spending money on booze now, so can afford it, and besides, it's much cheaper than a divorce or resulting childcare payments would be if the problem keeps getting worse. (And if you're in any doubt as to the effect of alcoholic drinking on partners and children, have a read through some threads in the friends and family area or this forum - it's a shocker ).

Try to avoid the common HALT triggers (Hungry; Angry; Lonely; Tired).

Someone already recommended taking a look at the Big Book online. Another book that is massively helpful is Living Sober. You can wait and buy it at the meeting, but it might be really helpful getting you through the next few days. You can buy an electronic version from Amazon for cheap as chips to read on Kindle or using the Cloud Reader on your laptop.

Have you spoken to your wife about all this yet? Ie. stopping drinking and going to AA meetings? If not, it might be a good idea. Otherwise, you disappearing off to meetings is likely to worry her as she might think you're heading off for a binge.