Notices

Two and a half Weeks

Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two and a half Weeks

Hi everyone,

Posted on here just before Christmas, got some good advice and just giving you an update of my progress.

I never really gave much thought to myself being an alcoholic and thought that was for people that drink a bottle of vodka a day or had to have a drink in the morning etc, such was my conception of an alcoholic.

However analysing what I drink I have come to the conclusion that I am. Although I don't need to drink everyday i do usually about 4 - 5 times a week and minimum 6 Pints. On a weekend usually a binge on the Saturday and Friday night having about 10 pints each night. Probably talking about 30 pints a week.

Realized when my nan died the other week over in Ireland and I was watching her die all I was thinking about was having a Guinness and using this as an excuse to get to the pub for a Guinness. I'm not a moron and can see this is not standard behavior.

From posting on this forum last time I was advised to take a break drinking and did so for 3 weeks before cmas. Massive anxiety, depression, So Tired and spaced out feeling happened on the withdrawls. Funnily enough no physical symptoms, only mental symptoms. How i'd love to trade all those for the shakes!

Christmas came, parties, drinking, nan dying. Back on the ale.

Stopped for good after Cmas as I can't go on like this and am now 2 and a half weeks not having a drink. Symptoms have cleared up a bit in regards to the anxiety however fatigue and that 'spaced out' feeling is still there, also a pain at the base of my back and muscle stiffness so my joints keep clicking! I see no point going to the English NHS as they just put it down to an anxiety disorder, no matter how much I tell them i'm not an anxious person. It seems they are trying to farm me off.

All I want is to start feeling normal, not spaced out and feel well.

From my symptoms I researched; Candida, Fibromyalgia, Lymme Disease and Acetaledhyde. However If the anxiety and spaced out aren't being directly caused by alcohol and is one of these above the booze still can't be helping. Which is why I have decided not to drink any more and drink non-alcaholic beers (More than happy to do this if it means a normal brain functioning life).

However it probably is down to alcohol which is causing this, I just can't see any progress with these symptoms improving. Especially the 'departmentalization, brain fog'.

I really am at the end with all this as if this stopping drinking doesn't work I don't know what to do next. I'm hoping it's part of the withdrawals and will ease up over time. I've turned from a outgoing, funny, athletic person to a serious, hypochondriac tired person. Slowly giving up i'll ever feel like I used to again.

Thanks for reading anyway. I just wondered in regards to timescales.... If this is down to alcohol and anyone can relate definitely to the spaced out, departmentalization, brain fog and anxiety feeling how long did it take to remove. Are there any supplements to speed this up..... Vitamin B, Milk Thistle, Pro Biotics...?

Ive had my bloods done, everything is fine which is why im so confused!!!

Thanks again.

One sincerely confused guy
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Two and a half weeks is very early. What you're experiencing is not uncommon. Give it a couple of months and then evaluate where you are.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, this won't last forever

You will start feeling better and better as more time passes.

The anxiety was huge for me when I stopped but now pretty much vanished
after two months of real sobriety

Give your body and mind a good chunk of time to heal.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me at least a month to feel somewhat normal again, and the mental symptoms are still improving as I approach 6 months. The bad feelings will go away in time. Hang in there
Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah, I'm going to reiterate what I said in your other thread. Time takes time.

When you administer a central nervous system depressant like alcohol over a period of time, damage is going to be done and it takes time for the effects to be healed. It took several months for me.

Please stay off the alcohol. Give it months, not weeks. Your anxiety and jumpy brain is going to settle down. It doesn't happen quickly, and there are many techniques and tools to use when you become anxious. Google mindfulness. All these spinning thoughts you are having are normal early-sobriety stuff. I had that for several weeks, and had to keep calming myself down.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your nan. I know she will be proud of you for stopping drinking.