Notices

Bowie

Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bowie

I just spent some time reading about Bowie's life story after hearing of his death. He was something like 25-30 years sober from alcohol and cocaine at his death. Helped a bunch of folks to sobriety. Really cool guy all around and fairly inspirational. Some good stories people have on the net of being helped by him. Worth a look if you have the time.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know this isn't the place but just remembering Modern Love and China Girl from junior high. Ultimate in cool back then. I just saw Stevie Ray Vaughn played guitar on Modern Love. No Wonder it was awesome! Junior high ! just crazy don't know what to say RIP!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was sad to hear the news this morning. I'm actually not surprised to hear he was "one of us". I grew up in the 80s and 90s so my intro to him was that song he did with Trent Reznor, "I'm afraid of Americans", which I liked a lot. But he always seemed smart, artistic, and just a person that really made something of his time here. When this new album came out I thought, "I should finally get into David Bowie."

Very sad to hear the news today. Interesting to hear that he was a former alcoholic/addict too.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

David Bowie saved my life! | Daily Mail Online

D
Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"I should get into David Bowie"

What a concept. Bowie is a concept. An icon. A landmark.

Not meaning to belittle you. Bowie is most of the things any poseur in music wanted to be. I've waxed poetic enough.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Ha no it's fair. I'm very unversed in music... I usually listen to podcasts because the radio is of course terrible and I don't usually have the patience to put into finding good music. Recently I've wanted to make a point of educating myself, now that I've got all these sober brain hours!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

His sudden death is a big blow. He's one of my favorite artists. I've been down all day. Who knows when we'll see another like him.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember reading that he had the AA symbol (triangle/circle) tatooed somewhere on his person.