Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Are there any other foods or drinks alcoholics should avoid

Notices

Old 01-11-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there anything else that might have it in it in small amounts?

Just asking so I know in advance.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe kombucha... but don't worry it's cost prohibitive.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, most raised baked goods, including bread, have a small amount of ethanol in them. I've never gone off the rails from eating a sandwich though.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Watch out for hand sanitizers, the popular ones are like 125 proof ethyl alcohol. One big whiff in early recovery can cause huge intense cravings, as I found out myself in early recovery...
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know how it is in other countries but here in Australia any product containing more than .5 % of alcohol per volume must list that.

A lot of things like breads, fruit juices, even some sodas may contain trace elements, or very very minute, quantities of alcohol.

You will often see posts about these things, but they have have never been a problem for me.

I'm not a Muslim but, because of Islamic dietary law, I find that anything that is halal is usually ok for me.

D
Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I still drink kombucha (yay employee discount ). There's the kind that's labeled 21+, which means it could have around 1% alcohol, and the kind that isn't which means it's tested to be lower than .5% (as Dee said). I just stick to the latter and I've never felt triggered or anything by it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Watch out for hand sanitizers, the popular ones are like 125 proof ethyl alcohol. One big whiff in early recovery can cause huge intense cravings, as I found out myself in early recovery...
This took me by surprise one day at work. I was finishing up for the afternoon and used some hand sanitizer that was sitting nearby. It smelled just like someone cracked open a bottle of vodka right under my nose! I didn't feel tempted to drink, but it did leave me rattled for a few minutes.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Some people avoid mouthwash containing alcohol, but I've never gotten a buzz from using mouthwash, and never been tempted to drink it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many over-the-counter cold medications have alcohol in them. It's good to read labels on them if you are buying. (Like Nyquil)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I bought a mouthwash that contained a lot of alcohol and as I was pouring it into my mouth, I felt like I was doing a shot. Whoa!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Vanilla extract contains quite a bit of alcohol. I know people who won't have it in their house.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a sweet-wine drinker....so I still, to this day... stay away from over ripped grapes
Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The only things I avoid are beverages with an ABV greater than .5%---beers (including ales, etc.), wines, liquors, and liqueurs. Everything else is fair game.

(o:
Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...I don't know how it is in other countries but here in Australia any product containing more than .5 % of alcohol per volume must list that...
Here in the US, most items will list active and inactive ingredients. The only items that 'must' the alcohol content are items that call themselves 'non-alcoholic.' Therefore NA malt beverages (note they're not classified as beers because to 'beer' here it must have at least 3% ABV) must list their ABV (most <.5%), while orange juice, or most fruit juices (also with <.5% ABV) does not. Now, if OJ were to market itself as non-alcoholic, it would have to list its ABV.

Clear as mud, ain't it...............lolol

(o:
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lady brought a peppermint cheese cake to work during Christmas. After I had a bite she said she made it with peppermint schnapps and added extra for an extra kick!

Geeze lady!

The bite I had was nasty anyway. Tasted like eating normal cheese cake while brushing your teeth.

So far I've learned:
1. If it is minty - ask
2. An alcoholic gives you a cup of coffee in the morning-ask
3. Your husband asked you to hold his drink that looks like the same water cup you have been sipping on all night. Don't take a sip.

Never would I have imagined that accidentally consuming would be my biggest danger!
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess the main thing I was worried about is Coca-Cola. I drink it quite a bit. I saw a couple of "studies" on Google that said it has alcohol in it. Not sure how reliable they were.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Like this article?

Coke, Pepsi contain some alcohol, study says - Hot Topics

About half of all colas, including Coca-Cola, Coke Zero, and Pepsi, have “less than 10 mg of ethanol per liter, or 0.001 percent."
That is a ridiculously small amount, and nothing I would ever worry about. "Non-alcoholic" beer can be up to 0.5%.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I rinsed my mouth out with mouthwash a couple of days ago and felt a little buzz and started to freak out, I didnt swallow any but it was just in my mind. I have drank mouthwash in the past tho to try to catch a buzz it wasnt pretty.