Notices

Naltrexone for alcohol

Old 01-11-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone for alcohol

Hi there. I'm not after medical advice but has anyone else been prescribed naltrexone for their alcohol misuse? My previous doctor gave me the usual benzos(which i also have now) the last time I quit but this new guy also wants me to take daily naltrexone as a preventative for relapsing...
Just seems a bit over the top to be honest......
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should also add that I am only on day 2
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Not could tolerate it due to insane insomnias, so not can even say if it work. Excepting for insomnia, I think is low side effects profile though. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Not could tolerate it due to insane insomnias, so not can even say if it work. Excepting for insomnia, I think is low side effects profile though. Good luck!
AH ok.. I suffer awful insomnia when i go sober anyway
Old 01-11-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

Can't hurt to try? My roommate in rehab was on it. Which we both thought was kind of silly because, isn't the whole point (ok, half the point) of inpatient to lock you up and prevent you from acting on cravings??? So in her case, definitely overkill. But she's still sober now, so who knows, maybe it helped and/or maybe she'd be doing great anyway.

Edited to add: She didn't have insomnia from it. I know this for sure because she snored and I do have insomnia.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Why do you think it would be overkill? Did you share that with your doctor?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Can't hurt to try? My roommate in rehab was on it. Which we both thought was kind of silly because, isn't the whole point (ok, half the point) of inpatient to lock you up and prevent you from acting on cravings??? So in her case, definitely overkill. But she's still sober now, so who knows, maybe it helped and/or maybe she'd be doing great anyway.

Edited to add: She didn't have insomnia from it. I know this for sure because she snored and I do have insomnia.
Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Why do you think it would be overkill? Did you share that with your doctor?
I did question if he thought i really needed it and he basically said that as I have had a few unsuccessful attempts to get sober and keep relapsing that he wanted me to try it... He told me to TRUST HIM!!! So trust him I will lol-
I also have a history of meth addiction (been clean now for 7 years)so not sure if that has something to do with it??)
I have a 2 bottle of wine a day habit...i guess i didn't think that was severe enough for naltrexone but i'm not the expert
Old 01-11-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Hi there. I'm not after medical advice but has anyone else been prescribed naltrexone for their alcohol misuse? My previous doctor gave me the usual benzos(which i also have now) the last time I quit but this new guy also wants me to take daily naltrexone as a preventative for relapsing...
Just seems a bit over the top to be honest......
I took vivitral, which is the shot form of naltrexone, for two periods of time. The shots are once a month and it worked the first time. Then I stopped taking it and drank again. The second time it worked for 9 months. Then during a difficult time I drank on it for 2 months.

I think the shot worked for me because it was a commitment. I think everyone's chemistry is different. I think this drug was a big help for me for quite some time, and believe it's worth trying.

The naltrexone requires a daily commitment, which I know many consider the way to go. For me only making the commitment once a month made it much easier. Unfortunately it did not ultimately work, but I did get more than a year sober using this and that is something I cherish.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Nic233,😊
I asked my doctor for naltrexone for my alcoholism, she prescribed me 50mg for one month, I will start tomorrow but I will cut the pill in half, I'm sensitive to side effects, I also read people lost weight while on it so if
I can stop the craving and lose weight I will be very happy but if I get insomnia than I can't take it...hope not.
How many milligrams your doctor prescribed to you?
Mo.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alegresempre View Post
Hi Nic233,😊
I asked my doctor for naltrexone for my alcoholism, she prescribed me 50mg for one month, I will start tomorrow but I will cut the pill in half, I'm sensitive to side effects, I also read people lost weight while on it so if
I can stop the craving and lose weight I will be very happy but if I get insomnia than I can't take it...hope not.
How many milligrams your doctor prescribed to you?
Mo.
Hi Mo, I'm
Also on the 50mg tablets. Took my first one this morning so not sure about the insomnia... I sleep terribly when I'm sober so hope it doesn't make that worse. I also hope that it helps with weight loss as I've piled on the kgs with my drinking - about 20kg heavier than pre- drinking ..
Good luck with your first day.. Please let me know how you go X
Old 01-12-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I took vivitral, which is the shot form of naltrexone, for two periods of time. The shots are once a month and it worked the first time. Then I stopped taking it and drank again. The second time it worked for 9 months. Then during a difficult time I drank on it for 2 months.

I think the shot worked for me because it was a commitment. I think everyone's chemistry is different. I think this drug was a big help for me for quite some time, and believe it's worth trying.

The naltrexone requires a daily commitment, which I know many consider the way to go. For me only making the commitment once a month made it much easier. Unfortunately it did not ultimately work, but I did get more than a year sober using this and that is something I cherish.
I'm ok with making the daily commitment. I actually have to take reflux medication first up anyway so taking another tablet will be ok- hopefully it will help me make that daily commitment to stay sober .. Maybe it's just what I do need after all
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mo, I'm
Also on the 50mg tablets. Took my first one this morning so not sure about the insomnia... I sleep terribly when I'm sober so hope it doesn't make that worse. I also hope that it helps with weight loss as I've piled on the kgs with my drinking - about 20kg heavier than pre- drinking ..
Good luck with your first day.. Please let me know how you go X
Yes Nic233, and please let me know how are you feeling while taking this pill, goodnight💤😴
Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried Naltrexone and didn't notice that it did anything either way, good or bad. The only thing that keeps me sober is the fact that I now take antabuse on a regular basis. It stays in your system for 14 days or so, so it takes quite a bit of advanced "planning" if you want to drink, and by then the urge can usually be overcome. After it gets built up in your system you only need to take it every couple of days. Some say it is hard on the liver, but I notice no side effects from it, and it can't be any worse than all the drinking I was doing. One other thing that helps, also, is thinking about how much money I save on wine when I don't drink. I can usually justify a treat now and then, like a manicure, pedicure, etc.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes Nic233, and please let me know how are you feeling while taking this pill, goodnight💤😴
I definitely will do :-)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

will it stop the action of picking up a drink?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
will it stop the action of picking up a drink?
I hope it will help with the temptation or what's the point? I will make sure that I don't put myself in any position that alcohol is around me but I guess the aim is to stay sober long term rather than relapsing again a few months in-
Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I guess the aim is to stay sober long term rather than relapsing again a few months in-
Do you guess that staying sober is your long term goal or are you certain that it's a long term goal?

There are many drugs that doctors can prescribe to help people with not only withdrawals, but also cravings or other issues. From my experience here and elsewhere though, it is pretty evident that having a sobriety plan to follow is just as important ( or more important ) than a pill. There's no magic pill that will "cure" alcoholism that I am aware of...so having as many tools as possible is very important.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Do you guess that staying sober is your long term goal or are you certain that it's a long term goal?

There are many drugs that doctors can prescribe to help people with not only withdrawals, but also cravings or other issues. From my experience here and elsewhere though, it is pretty evident that having a sobriety plan to follow is just as important ( or more important ) than a pill. There's no magic pill that will "cure" alcoholism that I am aware of...so having as many tools as possible is very important.
Scott I don't want to drink any more. Alcohol has been deeply engrained in my life for so long that I have an issue accepting that I can NEVER drink again, even though I know I can't.
My parents both drink a lot and friends seem to socially drink heaps!!
For now I'm going to take this day by day, recommitting to staying sober. I really do want to kick this.. Just all over the place right now!! Just woke up for day 3
Old 01-12-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations in your third day Nic!!! Keep going,
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations in your third day Nic!!! Keep going,
Thanks so much