Notices

Naltrexone for alcohol

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Walkrun - have you ever drank while taking Antabuse? What were the effects if you did drink if I may ask.
I have. It takes a few doses before it starts to work. So when I first quit I drank until it started to work. After about day three of taking it when I started to drink I felt very flushed, hot. This was about a half hour after I started to drink. My face got really red. I was not in pain but uncomfortable. And I felt no buzz from the drinking. I continued to get more flushed and could feel my heart pounding. The symptoms kept getting worse for about a half hour after I stopped drinking and then slowly diminished over a period of about four hours.

It was unpleasant enough that after going off it and back on again, I did not want to test it again. That time I just quit on day two of taking it.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Alcohol has been deeply engrained in my life for so long that I have an issue accepting that I can NEVER drink again, even though I know I can't.
Accepting this will be the key to your recovery. You can do it.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Nic -

How long will you be on the daily naltrexone? For a set period of time, or only until the cravings stop?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ADEfree View Post
Nic -

How long will you be on the daily naltrexone? For a set period of time, or only until the cravings stop?
I think the doctor said 2 months initially but I can then have another 2 months if I want...
Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My psychiatrist recommended using it for 90 days. 90 days seems to be a benchmark in sobriety for whatever reason.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My Dr suggested 90 days as well. 25mg makes me sleepy, while helping with cravings. I did have a couple glasses of wine one night, after taking Nal, and I was sorry. My heart started racing, my face turned red and broke out in a rash. I will never do that again. I took it for a couple of weeks, then went off it when some of my (alcoholic) friends came to visit. I just started back on it yesterday.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Wow Garfield, that sounds like the reaction that one might have with Antabuse. Do tell your doctor about that! Sorry you had such a bad reaction.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I have taken naltrexone on and off through the years. I think it did help with the cravings but I wasn't ready to stop drinking. I also tried the Sinclair Method where you take nal before you drink. Because it deadens the euphoria one gets with alcohol, over time it is supposed to interfere with the neural pathways so you really don't want to drink. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Not sure I was really ready to give up drinking at that point. I'm sober now without nal, but a friend I met in rehab has since slipped and she started getting the Vivitrol shot one a month (it's nal but in injectable form) and she said it has helped her tremendously. It certainly can't hurt to try!!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yeah, you have to stick with that one rule with (the method that cannot be mentioned).

Some courts and prisons use Vivitrol, keeps 'em out of trouble longer. I guess they even use it for heroin addicts as part of the release program. Turns out something like 12% (as I remember) died because they would get released from prison, go back home and get triggered by their old haunts, grab a needle and try to use the dose they did before. Vivitrol kept that from happening. You just can't give it to them while they've still got any opiates in their system because they'll go straight into withdrawal, just like Naloxone.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I really don't want to talk about this, but I am trying to do something different.

I did the Vivitrol shots ... 2 sets. As long as I believed in it (that I wouldn't feel the same side effects if I drank) it was helpful. I found it a huge relief to make a decision once a month that meant that drinking would not give me the effect for a whole month. It was great.

Unfortunately, I eventually drank on it... and got drunk...and had the effects I wanted

After drinking for 2 months on it.. I no longer see it as a hope for recovery. I don't know that that would be the case for others, but I no longer see it as an option at 1,500 dollars a shot and drinking anyways.

It helped me get 6 months (after which I stopped taking the shot and drank) and it helped me get 9 months (after which I drank while taking the shot). So I think it is worth taking a "shot" at it (LOL)...

I'm just back to square one... but I believe in trying anything and always trying something different. There is a solution out there for all of us! (hug)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's been said in this thread several times but worth repeating....that for the most part there is no drug that can by itself provide sobriety long term. There are many that can be part of a successful sobriety plan to be certain....but there's no magic pill that will just take away our addiction.

I believe this thread has run its course as well, the OP has received many answers an opinions on the subject. Some posts have been removed that promote using these drugs to foster moderated drinking, please remember that topic is not allowed in the forums....we are a comminity that supports sobriety

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 02-07-2016 at 05:25 AM.