Notices

Naltrexone for alcohol

Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alegresempre View Post
Hi Nic233,dde0a I asked my doctor for naltrexone for my alcoholism, she prescribed me 50mg for one month, I will start tomorrow but I will cut the pill in half, I'm sensitive to side effects, I also read people lost weight while on it so if I can stop the craving and lose weight I will be very happy but if I get insomnia than I can't take it...hope not. How many milligrams your doctor prescribed to you? Mo.
Careful cutting the pill in half, I've read of someone doing that and getting terrible stomach issues as the tablet is coated deliberately so it doesn't upset your insides as it travels down, ready for digestion.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some posts have been removed. Please remember that SR is a forum dedicated to sobriety, not moderation. Links to external sites that promote moderation are not allowed.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Some posts have been removed. Please remember that SR is a forum dedicated to sobriety, not moderation. Links to external sites that promote moderation are not allowed.
Thanks Scott- I am not interested in modification... Only stopping completely FOREVER
Old 01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, Nic. I was prescribed Naltrexone several years ago. The treatment plan consisted of taking 50 mg of Naltrexone before drinking. Naltrexone blocks the brain from deriving pleasure from intoxication. There were several studies suggesting that you could "unprogram" your brain from alcoholism by using this over a period of several weeks. You would just gradually drink less and less until you never drank at all.

It wasn't effective for me. However, the doctor prescribing it was not an expert in addiction. I don't think she really know how to use it.

Nothing bad happened; it just didn't work for me.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Hi, Nic. I was prescribed Naltrexone several years ago. The treatment plan consisted of taking 50 mg of Naltrexone before drinking. Naltrexone blocks the brain from deriving pleasure from intoxication. There were several studies suggesting that you could "unprogram" your brain from alcoholism by using this over a period of several weeks. You would just gradually drink less and less until you never drank at all.

It wasn't effective for me. However, the doctor prescribing it was not an expert in addiction. I don't think she really know how to use it.

Nothing bad happened; it just didn't work for me.
Ok that's interesting- a few people seem to have been given it to use while trying to cut back or stop eventually. My doc knows that I have no intention of continuing to drink. Hope it works the same way
Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
Careful cutting the pill in half, I've read of someone doing that and getting terrible stomach issues as the tablet is coated deliberately so it doesn't upset your insides as it travels down, ready for digestion.
Hi forever fuzzy,
I decided to take the pill today and the pill has a line in the center and the pharmacist said was ok to cut, I'll do more reading about this, thank you for the info.
Mo 🙂
Old 01-14-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone once a day for four or five months last year and it helped a lot in the beginning. Eventually it got to the point it didn't seem to help anymore. I don't know if I took it too long or my body adjusted to it or what so I stopped taking it. I am on day 11 now and may ask for it again if/when cravings get bad because that is what it really helped me with.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
I took Naltrexone once a day for four or five months last year and it helped a lot in the beginning. Eventually it got to the point it didn't seem to help anymore. I don't know if I took it too long or my body adjusted to it or what so I stopped taking it. I am on day 11 now and may ask for it again if/when cravings get bad because that is what it really helped me with.
That's good to hear it worked... Well done one being on day 11 again- these first few days suck don't they!!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Naltrexone has worked like a dream for me. I'm at 2 weeks. This is the longest period of sobriety I've had since I was 26. I'm 31. I've had the prescription since I was 30, but haven't used it as prescribed. I now take it every day at around 6, which is when my cravings begin. I'm able to ride my cravings out and go to sleep sober.

That being said, I also go to regular AA meetings and weekly therapy. I exercise frequently and try to eat as healthily as possible. That helps tremendously.

PM me if you're interested in side effects, etc.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I tried Naltrexone and didn't notice that it did anything either way, good or bad. The only thing that keeps me sober is the fact that I now take antabuse on a regular basis. It stays in your system for 14 days or so, so it takes quite a bit of advanced "planning" if you want to drink, and by then the urge can usually be overcome. After it gets built up in your system you only need to take it every couple of days. Some say it is hard on the liver, but I notice no side effects from it, and it can't be any worse than all the drinking I was doing. One other thing that helps, also, is thinking about how much money I save on wine when I don't drink. I can usually justify a treat now and then, like a manicure, pedicure, etc.

I agree Sintili. I'd just add that for me, Antabuse takes away craving. Not by chemically overwriting it. Its just 99% of my urge to drink is impulsive. So when I have that impulsive urge to drink, it lasts just a split second before I remember I can't or I will be very sick. And then it is gone. Pretty soon I no longer feel the impulse even. Its more of a faint distant feeling. Like a hazy bad dream that is fading fast in the light of day. Oh,,, beer,,,, yes,,, Uh, never mind.

Without Antabuse, I'm tortured. I think about drinking a LOT. I can't stop thinking about it. It is a nearly constant mental battle to stay sober. And if I'm bored or stressed, I do drink.

I know I don't have to take it everyday anymore. I still do. A half or less of the full dose. Just to make sure it is in me and I don't forget.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

PM me if you're interested in side effects, etc.
wouldn't that info be best shared publicly, here, in thread like this?

D
Old 01-15-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Walkrun - have you ever drank while taking Antabuse? What were the effects if you did drink if I may ask.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'd be interested to know this too
Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dee74 - good point.

Side effects are dizziness, mild disassociation during the first few days - this can be kind of frightening, but ride it out.

Other than that, dry mouth and mild GI upset.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have a friend that took antabuse. He decided to drink a beer to see what would happen. What a mistake! He was quickly overwhelmed with extreme nausea. It was a long, rough afternoon - after just half a beer. I'm pretty sure he never tried that again.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm currently on Antabuse and have tested the waters. My side effects are different though if I drink. I turn the color of a tomato, have a super high heart rate, and difficulty breathing combined with extreme anxiety. As long as I take it I'm fine and know I can't drink. I can be off of it for about days before side effects of drinking go away. It doesn't take the full 2 weeks. I'm back on it now after being off of it for 2 weeks because my oral surgeon didn't want me on it before anesthesia when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Let's just say I drank. Not horribly but to the point where I experienced a hangover. I just need to take it regularly. I know a pill isn't a cure all but sort of like a cast that I need to wear for a while.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

One can also find out more about Naltrexone side effects from googling:

Nalrexone side effects

There are more than a few, to be sure. Side effects can vary a fair bit from person to person. Some don't notice any side effects at all.

Patient (dot) info is a well-respected website with good information on quite a number of drugs, as well as having discussion forums for those with certain medical conditions or who are using a particular drug and wish read about the experiences of others that are using that drug. You can sign up for the discussion forums and post your own threads if you like. NB, while links to material that is already on the Patent website are allowed, links to outside websites will be scrutinized by a moderator and posts containing links will not appear until they pass muster.

Drug courts have been getting good results by incorporating treatment with an injectable extended-release form of Naltrexone called Vivitrol, a treatment that lasts for a month and can be repeated (along with counseling/support). This way, there is no question about compliance. I believe the late California Superior Court Judge Darrell Stevens was an early adopter of that, around the turn of the millenium. You can read more about the subject and the impact on recidivism by googling:

Drug court naltrexone

I understand some prisons have been incorporating Vivitrol injections into their release program as well, not only for those with alcohol abuse problems, but certain other drug abuse problems also. All in all, it seems to offer people a more lengthy experience of abstinence (especially when they return to their old haunts), than they would have got otherwise.

And that, is a good thing.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I tried it many years ago and it's highly effective however for me sleep is critical, if I do not get a certain amount of sleep the Migraine's start and my migraines end me up in the hospital ER, it was one of the side effects for some people and it hit me hard in this area so I stopped. I do have friends that take it and it works wonders for them.

Last edited by ALinNS; 01-23-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: yupe
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Some do better by starting out with a smaller dose, perhaps a quarter of a pill to begin with. But some just can't tolerate it at all and that's that. Not all doctors have good experience prescribing it, so best to seek out the help of a doctor that specializes in addiction when possible/practical.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just an update. Been taking the 50mg now for 15 days. Certainly many cravings but maybe not as many as previous attempts without the meds. No side effects at all. Sleeping like a baby. Hunger decreased(great for me having gained weight through wine)..
Think I'll be sticking it out as long as my Doc sees necessary x I appreciate all the feedback though